Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw a few videos on here about installing Garmin GPS in the dash and relocating the lcd screen down.
has anyone done this and what are your thoughts? i'm thinking about doing it and want to hear the pro's and con's, also the difficulty of it as well.

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
Not Garmin... Magellan. The Magellan RoadMate 1700 7 inch GPS to be exact. I am sure there are a few people on here who have done this particular mod. That said, I don't know why anyone would want to given the numerous options available on a 7 inch Android Tablet. I suppose if all you wanted was a dedicated GPS, this would be an inexpensive route to go.

·
Nobody pays me in gum
568 Posts
I think you can do a backup camera too with the Magellan.

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
It has provisions to support a video feed.

·
Timbit Biter
1,775 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
I don't think he was asking how to install one (there are plenty of threads about that)... what he was asking was if anyone had done this, what they thought, and whether it was hard to do the install. Since there are no actual review threads on the Magellen GPS and level of difficulty is relative, the question is valid. Thank you for playing though.

·
Timbit Biter
1,775 Posts
Most of the people who have created threads about this have done this. I would think those threads would be the best place to start.

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
Have you actually read the threads you refer to, because I have. The threads either describe how to do the install or there are threads selling their GPSs because they've moved on in another direction. If you want to be helpful, you should at least know where you are referring people to by first reading the question and then looking to see if there is an actual answer out there for them to find. Simply jumping into a thread to refer someone to a generic search is more troll like behavior than trying to be a part of a community of enthusiasts who support one another.

·
Timbit Biter
1,775 Posts
I have factory navigation. And chill bro, this is the internet. It's not personal.

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
Exactly. Not everyone on the internet has been blessed with your superior computer skills. How about you cut folks a break and actually try to be helpful.

·
Timbit Biter
1,775 Posts
Congratulations on derailing another thread Alabubba!

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I actually had a 5" Garmin installed in the type B bezel. Only because I already had it and didn't like having to take it in and out of the car all the time. Worked fine,just need to find/make a trim piece,bezel, to bridge the gap between the 5" screen and the 7" opening. I have a tablet now but only because the Garmin died.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
No sorry, but looks just like the tablet install only slightly smaller screen. The hardest part is getting a trim piece to fit. I actually found a double outlet cover for "modular" electrical plugs worked great ,I just trimmed it slightly and painted it black. There's also a couple of websites that make them specifically for mounting various GPS units in the dash but they're kind of pricey. Just google "gps dash mount bezel".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts