Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The good old days when I posted this. Actually I was questioned about asking at the time when it was on Hyundai's site. Well at the time I did not have the car yet and was looking at a 2012 and a 2013. The 2012 did not mention both grades of gas only the 2013 site had it.

As for the poster said 89 better additives, not really true, just the brand of gas matters like the top tier stations like Shell and some others which I forgot have more additives.
The pure fuel will 90% of the time come from the same source of a local area. Each brand will normally mix their additives in the tanker truck. So, yeah.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Costco 91

:door:

·
Blue By You
325 Posts
...I will only run another Best of the Top Tier fuels, like Chevron Techron, Sunoco Premium...
But Sunoco is not listed as a Top Tier brand here.
(Suncor, incidentally, is not Sunoco.) There is a Sunoco station nearby, and it happens to be the cheapest around. I'd like to use it if it were Top Tier.

·
Registered
312 Posts
No, Suncor is Sunoco:
The Early Years (1917 ? 1960) - Suncor

In fact, they sell in Colorado-only as Shell and Phillips 66, Petro-Canada in Canada. Just goes to show that there are only a handful of gasoline producers, but many retail brands based on those sources, all of which change depending on the region or nation, too.

For example, many years ago I swore by Amoco Ultimate 93, btw. During that period I had a sport bike and several cars, and that stuff seemed like racing fuel. When British Petroleum bought Amoco, they kept the "Ultimate" branding but transitioned to the BP ethanol-enriched fuel, which just wasn't as good, in my experience.

So, there are brands on that list I personally would not trust, like Valero and at least 10 others. So my short list of "Best of the Top Tier" would include Shell, Chevron, Suncor/Sunoco, and maybe Texaco, Connoco/Phillips 66, [Union] 76, all depending on what's available. In a pinch, I would pump Exxon/Mobil or BP.

In fact, all this might be different in a few years, too. It all used to seem so much easier :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
But Sunoco is not listed as a Top Tier brand here.
(Suncor, incidentally, is not Sunoco.) There is a Sunoco station nearby, and it happens to be the cheapest around. I'd like to use it if it were Top Tier.
"Top tier" gasoline is just a marketing ploy.

Like I said above, the majority of the fuel comes from the same pool. Each brand just mixes in additives.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well, right and wrong. Yes, what makes a gas Top Tier are the additives, but no, it's not just a marketing ploy.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Well, right and wrong. Yes, what makes a gas Top Tier are the additives, but no, it's not just a marketing ploy.
It is a marketing ploy, to an extent.

The EPA sets a minumum requirement for detergent compounds, and most, if not all major brand gasolines out there will meet that requirement (Marathon, for example).

Other brands opt to increase the amount of additives that they add to the fuel, and that qualifies them to sign up as "top tier" because they supposedly "exceed standards".

The matter of the fact is, the current standards are enough for modern direct injection systems.

·
Registered
101 Posts
No, Suncor is Sunoco:

The Early Years (1917 ? 1960) - Suncor

In fact, they sell in Colorado-only as Shell and Phillips 66, Petro-Canada in Canada. Just goes to show that there are only a handful of gasoline producers, but many retail brands based on those sources, all of which change depending on the region or nation, too.

For example, many years ago I swore by Amoco Ultimate 93, btw. During that period I had a sport bike and several cars, and that stuff seemed like racing fuel. When British Petroleum bought Amoco, they kept the "Ultimate" branding but transitioned to the BP ethanol-enriched fuel, which just wasn't as good, in my experience.

So, there are brands on that list I personally would not trust, like Valero and at least 10 others. So my short list of "Best of the Top Tier" would include Shell, Chevron, Suncor/Sunoco, and maybe Texaco, Connoco/Phillips 66, [Union] 76, all depending on what's available. In a pinch, I would pump Exxon/Mobil or BP.

In fact, all this might be different in a few years, too. It all used to seem so much easier :rolleyes:
Wasn't the old Amoco Ultimate the last "pure" gasoline without ethanol before BP took over? I was admittedly young back then (I think high school age) but I remember the change and running my first car on it to avoid the ethanol blend.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Blue By You
325 Posts
My googling allies Suncor with Sunoco/Canada, but not the Sunoco of the US. I find plenty of articles via google, discussing Sunoco and the fact that it is not included in the Top Tier listings. BP, for example, was also a long-time holdout, but no longer.
It's difficult to find up-to-date info on individual companies' relationships with Top Tier, except for the actual Top Tier list.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It is a marketing ploy, to an extent...The EPA sets a minumum requirement for detergent compounds, and most, if not all major brand gasolines out there will meet that requirement (Marathon, for example)...Other brands opt to increase the amount of additives that they add to the fuel, and that qualifies them to sign up as "top tier" because they supposedly "exceed standards"...The matter of the fact is, the current standards are enough for modern direct injection systems.
Then, you're not really disagreeing. If "just enough" is good enough for you, then fine. It's not for me, though. I want the best I can find, even if that means some confusion and changing brands every few years. I also go on the results, which in my current car means Shell is my first choice, and something like BP is not. One gives noticeably better performance and mileage and the other just the opposite. A few years from now, who knows. But, again,while it involves marketing, you cannot disprove the results for millions of drivers. The point is that in your region, there is a selection of these Top Tier brands, and you should try them to see what works best in your car. Might be a different result among the TTs in other regions and nations, but that points to suppliers, not just marketing.

Wasn't the old Amoco Ultimate the last "pure" gasoline without ethanol before BP took over? I was admittedly young back then (I think high school age) but I remember the change and running my first car on it to avoid the ethanol blend.
Yes, I think you're right, at least for a while. Shell and others still provide ethanol-free in some places, but good luck finding it, or expecting it to last. After all, ethanol is just another additive, which creates more volume.

My googling allies Suncor with Sunoco/Canada, but not the Sunoco of the US. I find plenty of articles via google, discussing Sunoco and the fact that it is not included in the Top Tier listings. BP, for example, was also a long-time holdout, but no longer...It's difficult to find up-to-date info on individual companies' relationships with Top Tier, except for the actual Top Tier list.
Yep, it's pretty frustrating. The solution is to try the TTs in your area and see what works. You might come up with a different result than I do, but that only means the supply chain is different. I would still only stick with a few of the TT brands.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Then, you're not really disagreeing. If "just enough" is good enough for you, then fine. It's not for me, though. I want the best I can find, even if that means some confusion and changing brands every few years. I also go on the results, which in my current car means Shell is my first choice, and something like BP is not. One gives noticeably better performance and mileage and the other just the opposite. A few years from now, who knows. But, again,while it involves marketing, you cannot disprove the results for millions of drivers. The point is that in your region, there is a selection of these Top Tier brands, and you should try them to see what works best in your car. Might be a different result among the TTs in other regions and nations, but that points to suppliers, not just marketing.

Yes, I think you're right, at least for a while. Shell and others still provide ethanol-free in some places, but good luck finding it, or expecting it to last. After all, ethanol is just another additive, which creates more volume.

Yep, it's pretty frustrating. The solution is to try the TTs in your area and see what works. You might come up with a different result than I do, but that only means the supply chain is different. I would still only stick with a few of the TT brands.
"The best" is highly subjective. There is no conclusive evidence out there other than marketing claims that "top tier" gasoline is better than "non top-tier" gasoline.

I've run everything from 87 Marathon, to 89 Mobil and 93 Shell, Hess, Racetrack, Costco, etc. There is very little difference in performance from what I've noticed. Maybe the 2013+ 3.8 GDI engines are just less prone "lower quality gas".

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you change brands a lot it won't be much of a difference between them, because you're just diluting them together, so you're not getting the most out of your engine. I haven't looked at your other comments, but I'd wager you've complained on this site of mediocre mileage and performance?

Again, I'm not saying anything controversial that hasn't been discovered by a host of performance enthusiasts over and over again over the decades - gas brands and types matter, and as we've all discussed, they change over time. However, if you truly can't tell the difference between Hess (one of the worst of the crappy brands) and Shell (one of the best of the best), then you're not paying attention to your car, or you're changing gas too fast and mixing them together, or you just want to argue ;) If you're okay with what you're getting, then that's your business, but I've had a lot of cars and bikes and I can say with confidence that which gas I buy from which stations matters a lot.

At one time I ran Hess for a few months in the Coupe. Big mistake. I saved a buck or two for a while, it seemed, but then I noticed I was starting to spend more because I was getting like 12-20 MPG, and the engine ran like a old lawnmower (hence I call cheap fuels "lawnmower gas"). I switched to Shell to test, and the throttle response instantly improved, the butt-torque started to go up using back-to-back tests. After a tank or so on V-Power it was as clear and peppy as when the motor was new, and I started getting 18-30 MPG. Couldn't argue with that. I tried Exxon and BP again and lost some of the performance and mileage. I tried Shell from different stations and saw a little variation, but not as much as between Hess, Exxon and BP, and then Shell. I tested them all by running almost to total empty and then switching.

On a trip I used Chevron Techron Premium for a couple of tanks worth, which isn't available in my region, and the performance was a little less peppy and throaty, but the mileage amazingly went up to 22-35 MPG, running even more smoothly. Occasionally on longer trips I'll use Shell or Chevron regular/87 to save a buck or two and I noticed I'd just burn through it faster, sometimes despite the MPG readings from the computer. For a while there was an ethanol-free Shell available, but expensive, and I found that E0 V-Power was faster and throatier than E10 V-Power with about the same mileage, but that station switched to Marathon ethanol-free and so that was the end of that. So, due to availability, I'm basically limited to Shell as one of the very best.

·
1,196 Posts
Costco 91

:door:
I also costco 91 it due to the price. But I feel like it is not as good quality as other 91 brands. I get noticeably more power and better gas mileage with the albertson's gas station (usa gasoline) and also I think it was either shell or chevron. There is definitely a difference in quality of the gas between different gas stations.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I also costco 91 it due to the price. But I feel like it is not as good quality as other 91 brands. I get noticeably more power and better gas mileage with the albertson's gas station (usa gasoline) and also I think it was either shell or chevron. There is definitely a difference in quality of the gas between different gas stations.
Costco in the States claims tier 5 for their gas (although they never say where it's from).

Up in Alberta I was able to do some digging and the Costco 91 is either Shell or Suncor (Petro-Can). I'm cool with either of those so I'm happy to get 10 cents less per liter on 91 octane =D

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If you change brands a lot it won't be much of a difference between them, because you're just diluting them together, so you're not getting the most out of your engine. I haven't looked at your other comments, but I'd wager you've complained on this site of mediocre mileage and performance?
Never have. I average the advertised 19MPG, on any gas I've used and driving hard almost every day. With and w/o modifications. I guess the old 3.8s aren't up to par on efficiency.

I'd wager the rest of your post doesn't mean anything, so I'll just stop there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So my '13 genesis coupe premium only does 0-60 in 6.8 sec? Other websites say 6 sec or 5.8 with a top speed of 151m.p.h for the 2.0t

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had my Genny up to 135 m.p.h where it appeared to begin to lose steam though I was climbing hills out of Anderson towards Greenville, SC. Anderson elevation is around 750 ft. And Greenville around 910ft.

·
Obsessed
1,174 Posts
Correct, your 2013 2.0T is a slower 0-60 than the 3.8 due to the lower power numbers. The fastest 0-60 and 1/4 mile times factory are put down by the BK2 3.8 8AT, due to the GDi, 3.8, and final gear ratio of 4.181. As to your top speed, a lot of things factor into it, but again your 2.0T has less power. The numbers Hyundai used for all their ratings to make it more attractive in brochures was from the 3.8.

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
716 Posts

Again, I'm not saying anything controversial that hasn't been discovered by a host of performance enthusiasts over and over again over the decades - gas brands and types matter, and as we've all discussed, they change over time. However, if you truly can't tell the difference between Hess (one of the worst of the crappy brands) and Shell (one of the best of the best), then you're not paying attention to your car, or you're changing gas too fast and mixing them together, or you just want to argue ;) If you're okay with what you're getting, then that's your business, but I've had a lot of cars and bikes and I can say with confidence that which gas I buy from which stations matters a lot.

At one time I ran Hess for a few months in the Coupe. Big mistake. I saved a buck or two for a while, it seemed, but then I noticed I was starting to spend more because I was getting like 12-20 MPG, and the engine ran like a old lawnmower (hence I call cheap fuels "lawnmower gas"). I switched to Shell to test, and the throttle response instantly improved, the butt-torque started to go up using back-to-back tests. After a tank or so on V-Power it was as clear and peppy as when the motor was new, and I started getting 18-30 MPG. Couldn't argue with that. I tried Exxon and BP again and lost some of the performance and mileage. I tried Shell from different stations and saw a little variation, but not as much as between Hess, Exxon and BP, and then Shell. I tested them all by running almost to total empty and then switching.

On a trip I used Chevron Techron Premium for a couple of tanks worth, which isn't available in my region, and the performance was a little less peppy and throaty, but the mileage amazingly went up to 22-35 MPG, running even more smoothly. Occasionally on longer trips I'll use Shell or Chevron regular/87 to save a buck or two and I noticed I'd just burn through it faster, sometimes despite the MPG readings from the computer. For a while there was an ethanol-free Shell available, but expensive, and I found that E0 V-Power was faster and throatier than E10 V-Power with about the same mileage, but that station switched to Marathon ethanol-free and so that was the end of that. So, due to availability, I'm basically limited to Shell as one of the very best.
I agree with you Top Gear. I use only Shell V Power and have noticed an improvement in power, but not much in MPG. The highest octane we can get here where I live is 91 octane. BTW all our gas in the Vegas area comes from a pipeline from LA. The additives are added at the terminal here, by the station's delivery crews or drivers making the deliveries to the various stations.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts