Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Gas requirements

138K views 73 replies 35 participants last post by  Gaijinn 
#1 ·
I looked on the Hyundai site, but I am not clear.

What grade of gas does the 2.0 T use?

What grade does the 3.8 use?

#46 ·
The few extra bucks is worth it for the 93. I don't have numbers nor have I been tracking it but I always had the notion that the better quality gas you use, the better the engine will perform. Like someone said in an earlier post, brown bag lunch for one day and the gas pays for itself :p.

#47 ·
Octane has nothing to do with the quality of gas... it is simply a knock resistance number. To imply that it is anything other than that is inaccurate.

Reactions: JGowen
#49 ·
Use Regular gas if you like. Your car is designed to run regular or take advantage of the higher octane of premium fuels.

#53 · (Edited)
The beauty of this old post bringing it back is this. Its just nice to know that I can run either regular or high test in my GC if need be, case in point. last year we had two gas shortages in north GA due to pipe line breaking, fires, ect in another state.. Now the first thing that dissapeard from our gas stations here was of course reg gas. Then the people who don't need high test of course will now pay for high test. But the cars and bikes that need high test now have to gamble on useing regular grade gas because the stations only replenish with reg gas. I have observed the selfishness and the ,one for all and all for me attitude of the humans around here during a gas shortage as the line was full of gas guzziling pickem up trucks with at least 5 ,5 gallon extra gas tanks sitting in their beds sucking up more gas from us more efficient car drivers, do you think they will say, OH, leave the high test for the people who need high test in their sports cars and bikes, yea ,RIGHT! I worked in a gas station for years as a young teenager and survived two major gas shortages in the 70's when I rode my bikes and drove a car. (okay that is another subject with me,lol). any way I can go on a long trip or pull into a gas station and if they are out of high test or midgrade I can safely use regular. I really liked the idea when I had my 2014 Veloster R spec turbo that Hyundai actually says to use regular gas.

By the way. If your vehicle runs on reg gas with low compression and you use a higher grade gasoline it will run dirty. getting max power out of a engine is at the ragged edge of detonation. Regular gas burns fast and high test burns slow, thus needing higher compression. People seem to think useing high test in a engine designed for reg gas that it will run cleaner.Nope.Its just that with Knock sensors and computers adjusting the timing so fast we can't tell, like in the OLD days what was knocking on what grade gasoline.:nerd:

#54 ·
By the way. If your vehicle runs on reg gas with low compression and you use a higher grade gasoline it will run dirty. getting max power out of a engine is at the ragged edge of detonation. Regular gas burns fast and high test burns slow, thus needing higher compression. People seem to think useing high test in a engine designed for reg gas that it will run cleaner.Nope.Its just that with Knock sensors and computers adjusting the timing so fast we can't tell, like in the OLD days what was knocking on what grade gasoline.:nerd:
NO! Please research your comment and figure out why you are wrong. While there is a misconception as to the difference between regular fuel and premium fuel... it has absolutely nothing to do with how fast the fuel burns. As a matter of fact, 87 octane fuel and 93 octane fuel are EXACTLY the same because the gasoline base is the same. What is different is the additives. Both fuels will ignite at exactly the same temperature (flash point) and they will burn at exactly the same temperature and speed. The difference in power that you may experience using "high test" or high octane fuel has very little to do with the fuel itself; rather, it has to do with the CVVT that controls your valve timing and the electronically controlled spark timing.

#56 ·
If im not mistaken higher octane fuel is simply more stable and less prone to detonation or preignition,(spark knock) allowing higher compression and more timing advance which allows the engine to produces more torque/H.P. its not the fuel itself that has more energy potential it allows the engine to produce more power under the correct parramiters without destroying itself.

#62 ·
Designed for "it" you mean higher octane? no sarcasm i have done nothing more than put gas in my car lol.

If that is what you mean, could i use 98RON? I'm not actually going to do it but just want to know.

i love learning about my vehicle. :nerd:

#60 ·
My tune is for 91 oct but I can get 93 oct cheaper so that's what I use. I should try a couple tanks of the 91 oct to see what it does to my gas mileage. I monitor for spark knock with my Torque app running almost all the time I drive but it has only gone off once that I know of.

#63 ·
98ron is totally fine and in my case gives better mileage than 95ron, just enough to cover price difference

however not all 98ron fuels are the same, as it highly dependent on production technology used. Some may have better washing additives, some may have more density than others (which matters when fuel system pushed to the max), some may have higher caloric content (like 100ron may be more detonation resistant, but produce less energy than 98ron). This is a rather complex topic and honestly no effect on regular user, unless you are racing.

Additionally RON poorly represents what kind of fuel you get. I like US AKI, as it gives you idea about both RON and MON. Take a look at the comparison of top tier brands for 98-100RON where i live, and notice how different AKI is.
Density - higher=better
Oxygenenates - as MTBE is 30% less calorific than pure gasoline, so more oxygenates in fuel make it less calorific. Less oxygenates = more calorific fuel.

Reactions: Jizobizo
#65 · (Edited)
Pump gas sucks.

Its crap, everyone knows it. Unless you are engineered for Ethanol, its horrible. Draws water, is caustic. Grows algae apparently as well.

No ethanol fuel is the best regardless of octane. It providing better mileage is a mathematical certanty, not opinionative. One cu. cm of no ethanol provides more btu's in comparison to the same octane rating of any E-fuel. They use ethanol because its cheaper to use than more complicated fine refining necessary to make higher octane no ethanols.

***There is a reason the manufacterer recommended fuel for Porsche, Ferrari is Shells V-power NO ETHANOL 93.

But most could give a damm and just throw whatever is convenient in there,...LOL.

So if you can get it, use it. Your car will love you for it. There will be less crap in your catch cans, especially in winter.

But most dont give a dam, and throws whatever is cheapest or convenient,,,LOL.
Some tuners engineer the tune to a specific octane if you ask, but--The lower the octane the less whp you WILL get. Period.
Hotter tunes at minimum require 93. Turbo 3.8's demand at least 94,..(They kind of hide that fact in the literature).

#66 ·
E10 isn't all that bad. Been using it in Illinois since the late 70's. It is corrosive to the older plastics that were used and current plastic hoses in some outdoor power equipment. It does absorb moisture if open to the atmosphere. It then can cause rusting issues if water is allowed to accumulate. But for the most part ethanol will remove any water in the gas as long as the concentration of water does not get to the point of saturation when the water and ethanol will settle out.

The turbo loves ethanol due to the cooling effect of the alcohol absorbing heat, lowering the temperature inside the cylinder before the plug fires.

#68 ·
Ethanol has only 68% of the btu's of full fossil fuel gasoline. Ethanol also has a lower vane exhaust energy. Which means its exhaust gasese are weaker. So yes it wont turn the turbo as efficiently, and your overall speed of your exhaust gases are slower. No ethanol is superior by any empirical measure thats just a fact.

-is it more expensive, yes.
-is it convenient,..not for some.

In many midwest states and in the south, there are quite a few no-ethanol providers. Or near heavy marine sport area. Worth the trouble is all I'm sayin.

Now a true E 85 setup is quite good. But it requires a complete overhaul of the entire fuel system. New LPFP, humongous injectors and the custom tuning to go with it.

ETOH engineer can chime in here. He has a true E-85 race car setup.

I get it, its all there is,..or so it seems. But not really.

#70 ·
Ethanol has only 68% of the btu's of full fossil fuel gasoline. Ethanol also has a lower vane exhaust energy. Which means its exhaust gasese are weaker. So yes it wont turn the turbo as efficiently, and your overall speed of your exhaust gases are slower. No ethanol is superior by any empirical measure thats just a fact.
This goes into the theory of for heat vs. flow/volume for what runs the turbo.
All I will say, is that there are plenty of E85 high boost engines running around :p

It's nice to have the options in fuels to use. If I could, I would go with a Haltech with a flex fuel sensor.

#71 · (Edited)
For all of us using oem fuel rails,injectors and pumps it means alot. Btu per cc has a huge impact on power.

Sure sky s the limit if you just jam boat loads of E85 in there, plus its 105 octane. But ETOH engineer is the only one I know of on here personally with this ability.(And yeah he's a real engineer in the fuel buisness).

I'm I fuel Nazi because of my setup. High compression pistons and forced induction demand it, if you want stability and reliability.

#73 ·
Shell 93 by far the best, but for those that need to strap the belt around their waist, it is a great option that you can go for 87 89 91 93 with the Gen.

#74 ·
Shell V-power NO ETHANOL 93 is the best,..very hard to come by. Tends to be in cities with large populations of exotic cars,..last place I saw it was in Sea island, north of Charleston SC. Also in wealthy suburbs of larger cities.

The E10 V-power 93 is OK, has the best chemical add pack though..........This was verified to me by a fuel engineer pal who works for VP racing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.