Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently when starting my car I have been getting a really strong gas smell. Does anyone know what this could be or what I could check first?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Could be any number of things oil or gasoline related, do you have any CELs on? Or any exhaust modifications? If neither of those, it could be an oil leak or an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No cells on. I have an cat back exhaust. Had that for a long time now though. I am going to have to look deeper into the issue to see if i can see any leaks.

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
No cells on. I have an cat back exhaust. Had that for a long time now though. I am going to have to look deeper into the issue to see if i can see any leaks.
Look at where the injectors go into the intake manifold and look for any leaks, also look at the fuel rail side of the injectors.

Injectors O rings, you can replace them with are ones from a 09 lancer when you go to a parts store. (they most likely won't have any listed for any of the genesis's)
Should be about $15~$20 for a complete set.

Slipping them on is self explanatory, when sliding them into the fuel rail, and then in the intake manifold, get the o rings wet with gas first, but don't let them sit in gas.
Letting them sit in gas for as little as 5 min will cause them to swell and not fit into the intake manifold and fuel rail.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at where the injectors go into the intake manifold and look for any leaks, also look at the fuel rail side of the injectors.

Injectors O rings, you can replace them with are ones from a 09 lancer when you go to a parts store. (they most likely won't have any listed for any of the genesis's)
Should be about $15~$20 for a complete set.

Slipping them on is self explanatory, when sliding them into the fuel rail, and then in the intake manifold, get the o rings wet with gas first, but don't let them sit in gas.
Letting them sit in gas for as little as 5 min will cause them to swell and not fit into the intake manifold and fuel rail.
Thank you I am going to take a look at the injectors see if I see any leaks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to say, to check for leaks while the car is running.
Yes I am going to do that. It seems to only smell when I start the car cold. So I will check in the morning when I start to car to see if i have any leaks near the injectors.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, when starting the car this morning it looks like I smelled guess by the O2 housing. I can see a little smoke for the first 15-20 seconds. I could not see where it was coming from. I will need to jack up the car tomorrow and do a cold start to see if I can see exactly where this smoke is coming from. Maybe a leak from O2 housing or downpipe?

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
So, when starting the car this morning it looks like I smelled guess by the O2 housing. I can see a little smoke for the first 15-20 seconds. I could not see where it was coming from. I will need to jack up the car tomorrow and do a cold start to see if I can see exactly where this smoke is coming from. Maybe a leak from O2 housing or downpipe?
If you are lucky, then some bolts just need to be tightened. Otherwise, your flex pipe developed a crack, and the downpipe would either need to be replaced or the flex pipe cut out and replaced.
You can take it to a muffler shop to get just the flex pipe replaced.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are lucky, then some bolts just need to be tightened. Otherwise, your flex pipe developed a crack, and the downpipe would either need to be replaced or the flex pipe cut out and replaced.
Yea. That is what I am going to check first. See if there is a crack or a hole. I'll lift the car tomorrow and check. Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it looks like a lost one of the bolts from the O2 housing to the downpipe. I added a new nut and bolt and fixed most of the problem. I am still getting some spitting because I think the gasket is bad.
Looks like I need to get a new one of those.

The O2 housing is stock but my downpipe is a aftermarket 3 inch.
Does anyone know where I can order that metal looking gasket for there?

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts