Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mid-West GC owners. I am looking at a 2010 GC 3.8 Touring. My question is, how does this car handle in the snow? We have had a very snowy/icy winter in Indiana. Appreciate hearing what others have experienced.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I live one state to you west, in central Illinois. Hopefully you've seen some of the posts that have covered this topic (via search), but the you'll hear this: if a) you have of good snow tires and b) drive conservatively, you'll be just fine.

This is my second winter with my GC. With a good set of snow tires, the GC does just fine so long as:

- fresh snow on street is less than 5 inches thick
- hills that haven't been plowed, salted, etc are not too steep

I have driven to/from work and even longer distances in blizzard conditions, ice storms, etc. and passed many abandoned 4WD's in the ditches. In many ways it handles better in the snow than my other two FWD cars that only have all-seasons tires. The back end is a bit lively, but even when it's moving I still feel like I'm in total control.

To me, the one thing that I've had trouble with is the windows. They slide down just a bit (about 0.5 inch) as you open the door, and then slide back up when the door is closed. This helps get a good seal on the frameless window. However, on really cold days, especially with freezing rain, and ice, the door gets stuck and the motor cannot move it down when the door opens. This makes closing the door a bit problematic because the window hits the overhanding seal on the car body. I imagine it also puts some stress on the window motor. I suspect I'll be using the Hyundai warranty eventually on that :D

·
Ms. Warranty Voider
2,954 Posts
i've driven mine in 2 winters, was fine with snow tires.

keep in mind if your car comes with 19" wheels the tires are expensive.
you might want to factor that in.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts

·
Original Member Group
310 Posts
Go with the 18's, especially with the midwest pot-holes due to the winters we get here. This is my first winter with my Gen Coupe, and next winter I plan to get a winter beater with e heater. I can't stand to see all that salt on my car, and a 2nd car is probably cheaper than all the washes I've done this winter. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I took the plunge and traded in my POS Audi on a GC 3.8 Touring last Monday:) Today, it is snowing so I am working from home. Wasn't planning on having to buy snow tires until next winter.

LOVE MY NEW CAR

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for the input. I took the plunge and traded in my POS Audi on a GC 3.8 Touring last Monday:) Today, it is snowing so I am working from home. Wasn't planning on having to buy snow tires until next winter.

LOVE MY NEW CAR
CONGRATULATIONS! Enjoy it. Keep in mind that by going with the Touring you don't get a LSD, iirc.

·
Use the F'n Search Button
4,280 Posts
Snow Tires are essential. Also, toss in a piece of wood in the trunk, and maybe a few sand bags or rock salt, or something heavy, will help with the traction as well.

I can't remember if the GT has a LSD or not. If not, then you'll definitely want to consider the weights in the trunk. MAke sure you lay a piece of wood down first, to disperse the weight, and protect the trunk.

·
Registered
207 Posts
To me, the one thing that I've had trouble with is the windows. They slide down just a bit (about 0.5 inch) as you open the door, and then slide back up when the door is closed. This helps get a good seal on the frameless window. However, on really cold days, especially with freezing rain, and ice, the door gets stuck and the motor cannot move it down when the door opens. This makes closing the door a bit problematic because the window hits the overhanding seal on the car body. I imagine it also puts some stress on the window motor. I suspect I'll be using the Hyundai warranty eventually on that :D
I think in 1.5 years of owning my g35 coupe, ( same window design) i replaced my driver window motor once, and the passenger motor twice. Damn passengers ripping the doors open and slamming them. ugh.

·
Muff Punch
281 Posts
I think in 1.5 years of owning my g35 coupe, ( same window design) i replaced my driver window motor once, and the passenger motor twice. Damn passengers ripping the doors open and slamming them. ugh.
Every time someone get in my Gen they do this lol

So annoying.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would say definitely 18s with the snow tires and keep the 19s for summer. The potholes are too plentiful to completely avoid em all and like they said above, the snow tires arent as expensive on 18s either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts