Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Persistently exhausted...
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

New problem with the old 2010 Genesis Coupe manual transmission, stock everything:

Yesterday, I drove the car with no issues at all whatsoever. It sees a combination of highway and a TON of stop-and-go traffic every day in Washington DC.

This morning, a little brisk, car on and could not get the shifter into first gear. 2nd gear required quite a bit of effort.

Here is the data that I have accumulated on the problem over the course of two drives:
-If the car is off, the shifter will go into all of the gears with no problem. The rest of the data points are gathered with the engine running.
-Nearly impossible to get the car into reverse, but it can be done.
-First gear: At a stand still, very hard to get into first gear and it doesn't feel great to do it. If I push in the clutch pedal, allow the car to begin rolling a few inches, the shifter will slide into the first gear with little-to-no problem. If I wanted to use first gear, I had to have the stick pushed towards 1st while I was slowing down, and it would slide in before coming to a stop. Much easier than trying to get it in there while at a standstill.
-Second gear: Pretty tough to the stick into second gear while stopped, but not as hard as first gear. I had to use second gear for the majority of start-stop traffic. About 1/4 of the time, I would accidentally grind a bit because it wouldn't slide in all the way, and would have to choose 3rd gear which is obviously not great for stop-and-go DC traffic.
-3rd through 6th gear: Tougher than normal, but not very hard to get the stick into these gears.
-Once the stick was in gear, there were no noticeable problems. The car MIGHT have had a bit more momentum coasting in second gear even though the clutch pedal was pushed in, hard to say for sure.
-No abnormal noises or puddles underneath where I parked last night. Car temperature appears normal.
-The car DOES lurch forward about 1 inch when I have the clutch pedal depressed, and I slide the shifter into 1st gear.
-None of these problems improved with driving the car/warmer temperatures this afternoon.

I was wondering if this sounds like the clutch plate has gone bad or isn't disengaging appropriately? The car is on it's stock transmission/clutch plate and I got it in November 2009, currently at about 103,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And a new data point:
-It was parked outside for about 45 minutes, and I just drove it into my garage to get underneath it, and it shifted just fine....

WHAT?!

101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, yesterday when I was having these problems - yes, it would lurch forward about 1 inch when I would put it into first gear. Then it would stop. It was quite subtle and I could only really tell while in the parking garage.

I had these issues while driving to work, home from work, and to the grocery store. Three separate drives totaling about 30-40 miles of driving.

I just took the car out of the garage this morning to see how it felt and all of the problems are completely gone. So strange...

101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bled the clutch as you suggested. Drove it around both before and after and it still seems ok. Shifter goes right into where it belongs. I will take it to work tomorrow and see how it feels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts