Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is my first post here, but I finally have saved up some money to buy my first Genesis Coupe. Look at them, I'm trying to figure out what would be a safe spot for mileage because a lot of these have 100k miles plus and I don't know if that would be a good buy. Im just about to go to college so I don't want to have to fix a ton of issues, as I wont be able to afford it...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
It's a hit and miss with this cars, you can get one that has been babyed or one that has been beat to hell, but that is like just about any car. No way to tell. Just buy from a dealer with some kind of warranty.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
It really depends on how the previous owner maintained the vehicle. If I were you I would try to pick up a 2016 3.8 that has only had one owner. You would be the second owner and the factory warranty would transfer to you. The warranty does get reduced when transferred but I'm sure you will still be covered for a couple years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Advenio Pariter
3,851 Posts
I would agree with hollysheepsht. That goes for any car. A poorly maintained car of any make is not going to serve you well. My 2011 2.0T has almost 131k miles. However, if you look at you would think it was brand new (I like to detail...). I have maintained it well over the years and it rewards me with reliable and fun service.

Reactions: -fritz-

·
Registered
50 Posts
This question is actually hard to answer. It all depends upon the car. A Gen Coupe where the typical buyer is younger a multiple owner car could have been abused or neglected. At 100K+ miles try to find one with few owners as possible. Run a Car Fax report. Don't buy a modified car. Regular service history is a plus. Take it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. It will be the best $100-$200 you spent. As a side note, and not trying to dissuade you from a Gen Coupe, but a great sports car for a college student would be a Mazda Miata - They are affordable, reliable, good on gas, parts are cheap, just enough space for a collage student's stuff, easy to toss around the curves and park, insurance is cheaper, and with a manual transmission are a blast to drive. They are not fast off the line though, but could be a good thing to keep you out of trouble!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This question is actually hard to answer. It all depends upon the car. A Gen Coupe where the typical buyer is younger a multiple owner car could have been abused or neglected. At 100K+ miles try to find one with few owners as possible. Run a Car Fax report. Don't buy a modified car. Regular service history is a plus. Take it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. It will be the best $100-$200 you spent. As a side note, and not trying to dissuade you from a Gen Coupe, but a great sports car for a college student would be a Mazda Miata - They are affordable, reliable, good on gas, parts are cheap, just enough space for a collage student's stuff, easy to toss around the curves and park, insurance is cheaper, and with a manual transmission are a blast to drive. They are not fast off the line though, but could be a good thing to keep you out of trouble!
Im a little to big for a miata ive definitely looked into those.. i just cant fit lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im a little to big for a miata ive definitely looked into those.. i just cant fit lol
Yeah, I understand, I'm tall so the only generation I fit in is the NC as it was made a little bigger. The last gen, ND I barely fit. I don't fit any other generation and the Fiat version feels even smaller.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It really depends on how the previous owner maintained the vehicle. If I were you I would try to pick up a 2016 3.8 that has only had one owner. You would be the second owner and the factory warranty would transfer to you. The warranty does get reduced when transferred but I'm sure you will still be covered for a couple years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Spot on! and because its a 2016 you can actually buy a new car warranty with it, covering you bumper to bumper for 5 years or 100,000. Any used Hyundai within 5 years can qualify for this, at least in Canada.

After the mess i have gone through since day 1 with this car. I would highly recommend ONLY doing this route if you want piece of mind that you will be covered while your in school. Hopefully your service center is better then mine if you need to use it!

·
Premium Member
15,259 Posts
At this point in time, personally, I would be looking at Kia stingers.

Reason is, people are buying them for cheap now. What I mean is, even though they are reviewed as good cars, they just aren't selling.

Some people were able to buy old stock "New" stingers for like 20k~30K off of msrp. 2018 fully loaded for about $30k, in 2020, with original owner warranty.
Might be able to find something in a similar situation and negotiate

·
Registered
105 Posts
At this point in time, personally, I would be looking at Kia stingers.

Reason is, people are buying them for cheap now. What I mean is, even though they are reviewed as good cars, they just aren't selling.

Some people were able to buy old stock "New" stingers for like 20k~30K off of msrp. 2018 fully loaded for about $30k, in 2020, with original owner warranty.
Might be able to find something in a similar situation and negotiate
Very good point, Im seeing some good number out of the that car too. The Automatic though...... just makes me sad. Which is really the only reason I wasnt interested. It would be cool if they came out with a coupe version with a 6 speed.

2021 Supra...... Looks awesome. Its been revamped since the first two years and is actually decent now. Obviously much more $.

I honestly cant pick just 1 car out of them all that i want. Its really hard lol. But one thing i have learned after trying to mod a GXP, Camaro, STI, Genesis. Im done getting something that isn't adequate stock. Next car will have the power/control i want from factory, the end. lol.

3 more years in this thing till i upgrade, this car was bought to bring down my insurance and improve my credit. As when i was younger i drove to fast and bought to many cars. Which hasnt changed im just more careful.

·
Premium Member
15,259 Posts
Forgot to say, stay away from the white and yellow stingers. They have known issues with paint peeling

1 - 11 of 11 Posts