Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been getting impatient. And i really want to own a gencoupe. But the only thing available in my area is the base model. Is it worth buying the base model? Im really just concern about the open diff.. or should i just wait for an ultimate or rspec to come with an LSD.... or can i just buy the base model and just upgrade the diff?. Thanks

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yes you can upgrade diff for 400 pluss instal.
Do you want auto or manual?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ive been getting impatient. And i really want to own a gencoupe. But the only thing available in my area is the base model. Is it worth buying the base model? Im really just concern about the open diff.. or should i just wait for an ultimate or rspec to come with an LSD.... or can i just buy the base model and just upgrade the diff?. Thanks
Besides the fun gizmos and interior upgrades, a LSD swap on the base model is a valid route but make sure you have the know how to source your diff, and replace & install.
Maybe check and see if an LKQ or local junkyard in your area has a gencoupe sitting around?

Don't be afraid to widen your search area, traveled 150 miles to get mine, don't regret it ! !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm actually selling my base now if you have any interest. 41K miles, pristine condition. Going base allows you to do the mods you actually want, and is about 4k cheaper than an r spec or ultimate. I never saw the need to go with those.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Considering the coupe is out of production which means shopping used, unless you have your heart set on a rspec/ultimate i wouldent overlook a well kept, low mileage base model. You can easily upgrade to a LSD, brakes, suspention, seats, etc, to as good or better than what came stock on the other models making your car unique and having fun in the process.

·
Premium Member
15,259 Posts
Ultimately it depends on the price of the base model in comparison to the rspec in your area.

reason why I pointed out the rspec is because it's basically the base model WITH bremos and LSD, and maybe a wing.

It's been a while since I last checked, but a used complete LSD diff ranges from $400~$700 last time I checked.
A used set of brembo calipers range from $600~$900 from last I checked (I would personally not chance it on used brakes and just buy rebuilt/remanufactured from a parts store)

If the price difference between the base and rspec is somewhere around $2000~$3000 with around the same mileage, then I would go for the base model.

With these cars and how old they are getting, I would ask the seller/dealer to change the timing chain. Tell them You would like to see the old parts, and you won't sign anything if the old parts can't be shown, this is to show proof that work was done.

NEVER sign ANYTHING involving ownership/sale, until the agreed work is done. You can write up a contract for the work to be done, as a separate contract, it can even be hand written, as long as both parties sign and have a copy.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
just get the base model. its not much different from the rspec. my buddy has a base model and he just put a few plug n play mods in it and we both have around the same hp

·
Premium Member
15,259 Posts
just get the base model. its not much different from the rspec. my buddy has a base model and he just put a few plug n play mods in it and we both have around the same hp
OP is in Canada. Reason why he was asking about an LSD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts