Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was it was doing this random stuff because of cold weather but it has been 3 months now and it is only getting worse.

The first problem is left door button randomly works and doesn't work. The right door button doesn't seem to have any trouble.

The second and more troubling problem is this week after getting in the car twice the engine didn't start with the push button. I had to get out lock the door reopen it and again press the button.

Today it got even worse first try nothing happened. Second try again engine didn't start. Another third try before getting out and doing the same thing and the engine started. Unfortunately it kept using the motor start procedure although the engine was already running and of course it gave scary sounds. Thanks god it stopped.

Anyone had these troubles with keyless entry system before?

·
Premium Member
16,013 Posts
1. use the key fob. if no issue that way, then its the door handle, take to dealer, they will replace the handle.

2. start problem: if having problem starting, press and hold the start button for about 15~30 sec and it should start. If no issues that way, then its the brake light switch, take it to dealer, they will replace the switch.

its pretty rare that you have both problems on the same car. the brake switch is a hyundai wide issue, not just to the GC.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I didn't try it with putting the fob in the dash. This was with key in my pocket. Today when it gave me trouble I also saw the immobilizer warning light when I started to drive which was scary as well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Which pocket is it in... I carry my keys in my left pocket and sometimes the system can't seem to read the key through my body for some reason... (though I've been told I can be rather dense at times) :D

Try putting the fob in your right pocket - works every time. Also replacing the battery in the fob REALLY made a HUGE difference for me. I can now unlock my car while IN my condo... and its almost 150m away... (not really a good thing though IMO) :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I couldn't really open the fob. Tried a bit with screwdriver to open it but it just won't let it go. Is there a magic to this?

Also today again the immobilizer light came up after driving the car for a minute or so.

·
Lord Stig
6,676 Posts
I too have started to get this problem.

At the UCI meet we had on Saturday. My car was acting up. It wouldn't start and if it did. I'd try it again and still no dice.

Today too after I got home. The doors wouldn't lock with my fob. It's scareing me. Does the butt freaking cold weather have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
low batt for the keys? if you read the MANUAL it should show you what to do in those instances where the push button won't start.

·
Lord Stig
6,676 Posts
low batt for the keys? if you read the MANUAL it should show you what to do in those instances where the push button won't start.
Bat is fully charged. I even put it in it's charge hole and it still won't start.

·
Premium Member
16,013 Posts
I couldn't really open the fob. Tried a bit with screwdriver to open it but it just won't let it go. Is there a magic to this?

Also today again the immobilizer light came up after driving the car for a minute or so.
take out the actual key out of the fob. then you will see a spot to put a beefy flat head screwdriver. pry and pop open.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If it doesn't work in the override spot on the dash, then YES you have an issue take it in. It does matter which pocket it is in... I'm a big guy and it can't always read it (even new battery) if its in my left pocket... but it picks up fine in the right pocket.

its a low power RHID device which only has about 22" or so on the signal strength (for the ignition) which is reduced by all the bits in-between and your body (which is a horrible radio insulator)

The REST of the remote (door unlock/lock ect) is powered by a much stronger radio from the battery in the remote; but if in the presence of the RHID signal is "turned off" so you can't bump a button going down the road.

BUT if your getting issues with this with the fob in the override... yeah big issue there... take it in. I had my console/keys replaced for the same issue when I first got the vehicle...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Bat is fully charged. I even put it in it's charge hole and it still won't start.
I thought it was cleared up that the hole in the dashboard do not charge or anything the key fob. It is there only when your key fob runs out of battery and you need to start the car.

Thanks AKGC I finally got it open.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Charge hole??? Dude our keys doesnt have a rechargeable battery and that hole is not for charging. Read the manual. Go change the battery give it a shot

·
Registered
245 Posts
As they said above, its only an override - doesn't charge. Make sure you have a fresh battery, and that its fitted in the remote correctly. If you issue remains after that you have a problem with your system and need to go into the dealer to sort it out. They will have to tear out the center cluster and send it in for repair. Usually about a week turnaround time (at least my unit was).

·
Registered
913 Posts
actually my car is having the same issue with starting idk either

I was it was doing this random stuff because of cold weather but it has been 3 months now and it is only getting worse.

The first problem is left door button randomly works and doesn't work. The right door button doesn't seem to have any trouble.

The second and more troubling problem is this week after getting in the car twice the engine didn't start with the push button. I had to get out lock the door reopen it and again press the button.

Today it got even worse first try nothing happened. Second try again engine didn't start. Another third try before getting out and doing the same thing and the engine started. Unfortunately it kept using the motor start procedure although the engine was already running and of course it gave scary sounds. Thanks god it stopped.

Anyone had these troubles with keyless entry system before?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Starting to have them now, normally I don't need to put the keys in the dash, but for the last 4 days I have. Is this a symptom of the battery getting low on its charge? The car won't start with the keyfob in my pocket anymore..zapster2k

·
Registered
231 Posts
Does is not occur to you guys to change the battery and see if the problem persists?? Seems like the obvious first choice to me. Batteries are pretty darn cheap as a diagnostic tool.

·
Premium Member
16,013 Posts
the battery is only used to operate the buttons on the fob.

The keyless start part of the fob is passive and doesn't use the battery.

If holding down the clutch (manual) or brake (automatic) while pressing the button, doesn't start it, then try...
press the start button once, then again, but hold it until it starts.

If this works then it's your brake/clutch switch

1 - 18 of 18 Posts