Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a few questions that have been making me crazy.
I have been reading different threads and have found a few that are helpful. However, i need a little bit more help with all this. As of right now, my car is very close to stock. All i have is the Forge Blow off, Megan Racing Downpipe and Injen Intercooler Piping. Its kinda pathetic and pontless to be looking at raising boost with how little i have done. Except in the next 2 weeks i am dropping a few grand into the gen. I will be putting the Injen Intake along with Injen or 7ism catback (THIS ISN'T MY PROBLEM SO PLEAS FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD DON'T POST ABOUT WHAT EXHAUST TO CHOOSE) and megan test pipe so the exhaust will be complete. Also i will be putting on most likely the AMS Intercooler (so i can use my injen intercooler piping still and not just eat the money i already spent). Also i will be doing coilovers. probably the Stance +Pro.
I am looking to gain overall performance. I had an IS300 that was boosted, then after several problems and several thousand dollars i returned to Naturally Aspirated and had just bolt ons and suspension work. I really enjoyed the car (when it worked) and promised to never mess with my car if it would risk making it unreliable. With saying this, i know that if you want to not worry about problems, don't mod your car... I just don't want to go through the hassle of rebuilds and tearing it apart etc. It is my daily driving car but i want to be able to go out to the track as much as i can and also be able to keep up (if not beat) my friends with their EVOs, STIs, Boosted 350z, Srt-4s and everything.

Now that i have said what i plan to do and what not, please help me figure out the best approach and the next few steps to achieving this..

Here are my main questions...

1- I know that getting the PowerAxle reflash module is a must. I probably will get that. But I looked up the instructions and i don't get how to upload info to the ecu. Can someone tell me fast what to do after i plug it in? Also, any other information would be much appreciated.

2- After doing these mods, Is the Dyno Jeb CMD ( Dynojet CMD Tuner for Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T at GenRacer - Performance parts for the Hyundai Genesis Coupe ) a good purchase to raise my boost or what? What will be the next step to getting just a little more boost and kind of just finish her off. I want the car to be safe and reliable, so i am a little iffy on running 20psi. I just don't like how i will have all these mods done to my car that will only be running 14 pounds of boost. That makes no sense to me, and leads to my last queston which is

3- I would prob. want it around 18psi? Honestly, I don't know what to run it at. What do you all think and recommend? with these mods and tuning to the ECU, what is a good boost level? Also, I have seen the Grimmspeed Boost Control Solenoid. I was wanting to put that on with just the mods i have on now, but after reading more i learned that is a bad thing? What does that mainly help with?

Also, if anyone has ANY input at all about other things to consider, things I should know, if there are other mods or tunes i should consider or just anything else, I would really appreciate the feedback. If you want to even send me a message that would work.

I appreciate how helpful this community is about our cars. I have learned much and gotten alot of help from you all.

Thanks to you all!!!

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Call beyond redline, tell them what mods you have and where you plan to go and they will give you a power axel tune for that. I;ve been running their stage 2 at 20psi (peak only, it tapers down pretty quick) for over 10k miles now with no issues, and I'm about to pick up their rebuilt turbo.

As for using the power axel unit, its easy, Plug it in, press power button and hold 1 or 2 buttons down depending which of the 3 tunes you are flashing. There is a youtube video linked on the power axel site i think.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Jayder, you may be suprised to hear that simply upping the boost and tuning the air/fuel ratio appropriately will give the car a good kick in the pants, power wise. More than the other mods you have already done for sure, depending on how much boost you decide to limit yourself at. Most people here are running 18-20psi peak boost it seems.

The PA and CMD are both methods to tune the car and increase performance, but there is a difference in the way they do their thing. The PA is a flash that programs the stock ECU with new parameters. You get what they give you and have no say in what those parameters are. There are some things they can change in the ECU that the CMD, being a piggy-back device, cannot offer, like timing changes.

The CMD is a user adjustable device. It requires that you (or your tuner) tune it once it's installed. It gives the end user the ability to choose your own boost levels, set the air/fuel ratio, and with the WB2 wideband unit, it's the only device on the market with real-time closed-loop air/fuel control through the wideband feedback. You specify what air/fuel ratio you want the box to achieve, and it tunes itself as you drive.

There are some that have run both the PA and the CMD, so they can get the benefits of the PA (speed/rev limit increased, timing, etc), then have the tuneability at their control for final boost and air/fuel ratio.

Hope that helps.

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
I've found that jamming a banana up the car's tailpipe REALLY increased my bottom end

1 - 5 of 5 Posts