Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my gene coupe about 2 years go. i am the second owner of the car. I get this car with 20K miles on it. Since i've had it, i put an additional 35k miles into it. My car is now paid off. Is it worth getting a turbo kit with my car? I feel like my engine is too old now because it is my daily and i do drive it hard. Thanks guys and let me know what your thoughts are on this topic.

·
Obsessed
1,175 Posts
I bought my 2013 brand new during the intro run in Feb. 2012. I have done tons of things to it, and I run it as hard as she'll go pretty often. I installed my turbo kit and got the custom tune this year. I don't have as many miles as you do since I work out of the country and I'm only home every other month, but 55k miles really isn't that much anymore. That being said, I wish I'd had the kit to install from the very beginning. It is amazing the difference in the car. There's been tons of learning and readjusting, fixing little issues here and there, and tweaking things to make everything work right, but overall it's been great! Vacmurse has had a couple more major issues than I have, but the current one is due to AEM, not the turbo so it doesn't count. All in all the response from the boosted 3.8 guys is overwhelmingly positive. The only regret you'll have after getting it in (assuming you do it right and you don't go beyond the normal safe limits) will be wishing you'd done it sooner.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is there any excessive wear on the engine? Obviously there will be some additional wear with FI. I'm just wondering if I'm going to be significantly reducing engine lifespan.

·
Obsessed
1,175 Posts
Fixed it for you. Run what you want.

·
Registered
644 Posts
As long as you run a really good oil like Motul or Rotella T6 (if you don't have cats), then you're fine. And NO MOBIL 1!!!! That stuff with the turbo kit kills our bearings. Other than that we've got guys that have been running the kit for 55+k miles without any issue at all.
I find that hard to believe. Proof? Mobil 1 oils are excellent and meet and/or exceed every specification stated by the API. If you are using the same weights as the Motul or Rotella then there shouldn't be a difference. I'm more educated than the average person on motor oil and find statements like this pretty harmful unless presented with legitimate evidence and not just personal opinion. No offense.

·
Obsessed
1,175 Posts
Ignore all our real world experience, run whatever on paper looks great.

·
Registered
644 Posts
"Weight" (viscosity) isn't the only factor in determining an appropriate oil to use. The quantities of chemical makeup (ZDDP) are far more important than the viscosity. What temperature it begins breaking down at (which is what we suspect has caused 4 failures of boosted 3.8T engines running Mobil 1) is also important. We had a huge discussion about this topic on the Boosted 3.8 FB page. I'm not saying it's a completely scientific explanation, but the proof is in the experience of the guys that had their engines fail. Just like how running Royal Purple is bad for our engines due to unique reaction with the metallurgy (causes cylinder polishing). Snoopy went into very good detail about this subject, as well. At the end of the day, run what you wish, and we'll sit back with popcorn and wait. :gc-Popcorn_Smiley_b
I completely understand that. I'm a kind of person that gets an oil analysis done from oil samples just about every other oil change in my Genesis to determine what oil shows the best results in the 3.8 V6 in addition to how long I can safely run it without inducing additional wear. In fact a paper I wrote over 5 years ago has been hosted on the popular oil website www.bobistheoilguy.com since then for the internet to read. I prefer factual data to show people when they say I'm damaging my engine and try to convince me I am negligent. Opinions aren't worth much unless you back them up. Forums are for the spread of factual information so I urge you to please only do that.

HTHS (high temp/high shear) values are far more useful since "weight" (viscosity) is only a ballpark thing and falls within a range. However certain HTHS values generally correlate with certain weight oils. Choosing an oil with an inadequate HTHS rate in a turbo application is not the oil's fault for the component failure, but the operator's fault.

You say don't run Mobil 1 because it causes damage so I ask...what weight was being run so I can actually look at the HTHS value of that oil? Was it a 5w40 so it can at least be comparable to Rotella T6 you mentioned later?

You say run a "really good" oil like Motul but don't mention any specific weight recommended or why Motul products are somehow better. So does that mean a Motul 0w20 oil is going to be better than Mobil 1 5w40 just because one is Motul and the other is Mobil? What Motul oil is being recommended?

You say run Rotella T6 (a diesel engine oil) if you don't have cats (due to the ZDDP content and it plating cats over time) and which is a 5w40. If you are running a comparable 5w40 gasoline engine oil why is ZDDP necessary when it has been phased out more and more over the years (mainly for emissions) and not necessary for turbo bearing protection?

Are oil temps verified as being properly regulated in these vehicles that experienced failure? Are oil coolers being used in them? Is there any data in the form of oil analyses from a lab comparing different oils in these boosted 3.8 V6 applications to see how these engines actually do with certain weight oils? Basically I'm asking where the quantifiable data is behind these claims. Mobil 1 oils are quality oils, albeit not my personal favorite, I would not hesitate to use them and am considering getting more oil analyses done of them using my vehicle in the future. They are more than adequate at protection when the CORRECT weight is chosen for the application. Making blanket statements about Mobil 1 as a whole is a detriment to everyone.

Please do not take this as a personal attack, as that is not my intention. I am simply asking for the proof of such claims for all of us to learn collectively. This thread will live on for many years, and several other people may make decisions based on what is said and proven here. So let's get it right, shall we? :wink:

·
Obsessed
1,175 Posts
Fixed them for you. Enjoy.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Fixed them for you. Enjoy.
This doesn't help make this thread informative at all for any other readers. In addition, "real world experience", especially successful experience, can be backed up with facts and data. This is why I personally get an oil analysis done on my vehicle with different oil blends to determine what shows the best wear numbers instead of me just saying "this one feels like it works the best".

ApexEight, if you search through posts I've made there are my oil analysis reports on my N/A 3.8 doing extended drain intervals (8-10k ish). I'd post them now but photobucket is down for maintenance and I can't get to the links. I'd be more than happy to discuss what I can with you to answer your questions and provide any sort of data with it.

·
End Me, Begin Him
689 Posts
I am pleading with you, don't run Mobil 1 on your boosted 3.8. Every turbo 3.8 that has spun a bearing has been running Mobil1. It's so bad that us in the boosted community can call it whenever someone says "I've spun a bearing on my turbo 3.8". N/A, sure, go ahead and run Mobil 1. You'll be fine. Mobil 1's formula breaks down faster with heat than other offerings and is not suitable for our car with boost. You can trust your oil analysis done on your N/A car or trust the fact that every one who has ran it boosted has lost their engine. That is your data and both data types are valid for consideration. While I can see that you seem to prefer a proper oil analysis for your data source, you just may not have the same source in the boosted application to compare to

·
Registered
644 Posts
I am pleading with you, don't run Mobil 1 on your boosted 3.8. Every turbo 3.8 that has spun a bearing has been running Mobil1. It's so bad that us in the boosted community can call it whenever someone says "I've spun a bearing on my turbo 3.8". N/A, sure, go ahead and run Mobil 1. You'll be fine. Mobil 1's formula breaks down faster with heat than other offerings and is not suitable for our car with boost. You can trust your oil analysis done on your N/A car or trust the fact that every one who has ran it boosted has lost their engine. That is your data and both data types are valid for consideration. While I can see that you seem to prefer a proper oil analysis for your data source, you just may not have the same source in the boosted application to compare to
You are right, I do not have boosted 3.8 oil analyses as a data source, that is why I am asking these questions about it to see if anyone has them, will do them, or offer up answers as to what formula Mobil 1 has been running in their engines at the time of such failures. My other questions also include if the oil temps have been verified as being kept under control, and if oil coolers were used. Additionally, I'd like to know about the specific brand and weight of oils that are being run, what oil filter was being used, what oil pressures were being seen, what mileage vehicles it was one, etc.

So far, I haven't received the answer to ANY of those questions. Only "Mobil 1 is bad. Don't use Mobil 1 with a turbo. Mobil 1 will kill your boosted engine." I find it interesting that a well known and engineered motor oil that passes every required testing criteria single handedly causes these failures.

·
End Me, Begin Him
689 Posts
Blend? Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. Oil Coolers? Yes in many cases. Oil temps under control? Sure, define that for me. Here's the issue: Pretty much everybody is running the same turbo kit with the same turbos. Most people are running the kit with oil coolers and yes there are those who are running it without one. The people running Mobil 1 full Synthetic, with or without an oil cooler are the ones spinning bearings while the people who are running other Full Synthetic oils besides Royal Purple (that reacts badly with our bearings and glazes them), with or without an oil cooler, are not spinning bearings. Oil weight? 5w30 or 5w40 ( all should be running 5w40 with an oil cooler) but regardless, the weights are the same with or without Mobil 1. Really the only variable is the oil. It's so bad that Turbokits.com, who makes and sells the kit, BTR and SFR all actually warn people against running it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Blend? Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. Oil Coolers? Yes in many cases. Oil temps under control? Sure, define that for me. Here's the issue: Pretty much everybody is running the same turbo kit with the same turbos. Most people are running the kit with oil coolers and yes there are those who are running it without one. The people running Mobil 1 full Synthetic, with or without an oil cooler are the ones spinning bearings while the people who are running other Full Synthetic oils besides Royal Purple (that reacts badly with our bearings and glazes them), with or without an oil cooler, are not spinning bearings. Oil weight? 5w30 or 5w40 ( all should be running 5w40 with an oil cooler) but regardless, the weights are the same with or without Mobil 1. Really the only variable is the oil. It's so bad that Turbokits.com, who makes and sells the kit, BTR and SFR all actually warn people against running it.
Are there any owners here that can provide and verify:

-what weight Mobil 1 they were running instead of guessing
-how long Mobil 1 had been used for not only that oil change interval, but total amount of time in that engine
-mileage of the engines that had bearing failure
-if the failed engines had oil coolers
-what specific brand of oil and weight others are using
-if anyone has oil analysis evidence showing breakdown of the oil

Also, can anyone show where Turbokits.com, BTR, or SFR recommended against using all Mobil 1 products? I called Turbokits.com for clarification, and was told no one there advises any brand of oil over another, and has no reason or evidence thus far to do so. That was the first they'd heard of such a claim. I am still awaiting a response from SFR (I left a messgae) and BTR will be out for a week and can't respond but I'll try back in a bit. Correlation does not equal causation, so I am trying to gather data and not just word of mouth.

·
End Me, Begin Him
689 Posts
Are there any owners here that can provide and verify:

-what weight Mobil 1 they were running instead of guessing
-how long Mobil 1 had been used for not only that oil change interval, but total amount of time in that engine
-mileage of the engines that had bearing failure
-if the failed engines had oil coolers
-what specific brand of oil and weight others are using
-if anyone has oil analysis evidence showing breakdown of the oil

Also, can anyone show where Turbokits.com, BTR, or SFR recommended against using all Mobil 1 products? I called Turbokits.com for clarification, and was told no one there advises any brand of oil over another, and has no reason or evidence thus far to do so. That was the first they'd heard of such a claim. I am still awaiting a response from SFR (I left a messgae) and BTR will be out for a week and can't respond but I'll try back in a bit. Correlation does not equal causation, so I am trying to gather data and not just word of mouth.
Have fun on your hunt for information my friend. Of course they don't advise one form of oil over another. They are not in the oil game. I am speaking from the experience of being in the special Turbo 3.8 group. JGowen posted in there and made everyone aware that you are looking for information. Someone else from the group may drop in and provide you with the information you require but thankfully I haven't spun a bearing yet so I can't speak from direct experience. It appears that you really like Mobil 1 to devote so much time to trying to defend it so by all means please feel free to use it when & if you ever go turbo. All I know is that when I started building my custom turbo kit, no less than 3 individuals all contacted me and warned me against using it and then proceeded to tell me about the 8 or so people who had lost their engines while using the oil. You are right that correlation does not equal causation but given the fact that pretty much all else was equal, the coincidence was enough for me to not stake thousands of dollars on being wrong and running Mobil 1. This is coming from a guy who has run Mobil 1 in my other performance applications in the past.

Maybe Snoopy can comment @Snoopy0812

·
Registered
644 Posts
Have fun on your hunt for information my friend. Of course they don't advise one form of oil over another. They are not in the oil game. I am speaking from the experience of being in the special Turbo 3.8 group. JGowen posted in there and made everyone aware that you are looking for information. Someone else from the group may drop in and provide you with the information you require but thankfully I haven't spun a bearing yet so I can't speak from direct experience. It appears that you really like Mobil 1 to devote so much time to trying to defend it so by all means please feel free to use it when & if you ever go turbo. All I know is that when I started building my custom turbo kit, no less than 3 individuals all contacted me and warned me against using it and then proceeded to tell me about the 8 or so people who had lost their engines while using the oil. You are right that correlation does not equal causation but given the fact that pretty much all else was equal, the coincidence was enough for me to not stake thousands of dollars on being wrong and running Mobil 1. This is coming from a guy who has run Mobil 1 in my other performance applications in the past.

Maybe Snoopy can comment @Snoopy0812
Thanks for the reply.

If they are recommending one oil over another as is stated here there is no reason they'd say something different if called up. Where is the Turbo 3.8 group, link? I'd love to get some information on it and talk to some others. Also, I don't endorse Mobil 1 over any other brand and am not particularly loyal to them. As I have stated, I like Castrol Edge most for my 3.8 because of the oil analysis data I have received with it. I am trying to find the evidence of Mobil 1 being a bad lubricant in these applications and what makes them so undesirable with data to back it up. Not heresay, because forums are for the spread of information. We all know how notorious they are for being opinionated with common comments like "I haven't had a problem and I've been running it for a while" or "they make bad products" with nothing to legitimately back up a claim. I'd love to hear from any of the 8 people or so that have had these failures because so far I haven't really received any definite answers, only general-isms, opinions, and assumptions.

·
End Me, Begin Him
689 Posts
The group is a closed and secret, invite-only Facebook group. You have to be a turbo 3.8 or showing significant progress towards getting there (bought your parts etc) in order to get invited in. One of the guys who had a failure's name is Ron L Lee. He had a failure on his crankshaft bearings. Boost was at 6psi, 5w30, and the failure occurred after 7000 miles. I don't have any more information from him at the moment

·
Registered
644 Posts
The group is a closed and secret, invite-only Facebook group. You have to be a turbo 3.8 or showing significant progress towards getting there (bought your parts etc) in order to get invited in. One of the guys who had a failure's name is Ron L Lee. He had a failure on his crankshaft bearings. Boost was at 6psi, 5w30, and the failure occurred after 7000 miles. I don't have any more information from him at the moment
Cool, thanks for that at least. I'll shoot him a message and see what else I can learn. My e-mail address is [email protected] if anyone that reads this has some stuff they'd like to share, details, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
We were never against running Mobile1. As a matter of fact, our customers who got installed the tuned TK kit by us are running all Mobile 1 without any issues so far.
We are against of people who have just some basic or no knowledge thinking to put up a turbokit themselves or bunch of buddies will not cause any problems or people who constantly beating the crap out of their cars that were meant to be N/A form or just being lazy on the maintenance.
I highly doubt the oil isn't the issue people who are going with motor issues while using high quality oil is still important.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts