Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently blew my bk1 2.0t and its currently being swapped with a bk2 2.0t engine but im gonna have to handle tuning. What cable/software/tunes/ everything i need to know to tunes this for as cheap as possible without blowing my whole thing like an idiot.

How I "blew" my engine
I leaked all my oil out of my turbo oil in fitting and blew it. I pulled over as soon as i heard the ticking but it was too late and i already had rod knock and when it was looked at and i saw myself it was just torn to shreds. So yeah lmao, im putting a lot of money (and myself in debt) into this to be done right and i want to be able to tune this very well so any knowledge is very very very much appreciated!

As of now we have found an engine with 30k miles from a bk2 at an echotech in ohio and its being shipped to echotech here in St. Louis and then getting swapped into my bk1 by a family friend who builds drag rx8s, echotech, and a Hyundai engineer. Im exited.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Here is some more basic info so you don't run into trouble.

·
Premium Member
15,282 Posts
Swapping out the ECU?.... ;-/

That would be a nightmare in just making sure the pinouts relatively match.

Would be easier/faster/safer to just swap in the engine and use the BK1 intake manifold/exhaust manifold/turbo and just get the ecu retuned for the lower compression.

Plus using the BK1 injectors on a BK2 ecu will result in the solid state injector relays IN the ecu shorting out, basically bricking the BK2 ECU

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hmmmm. I should have made it clear that a BK2 engine should have come with a harness so all your sensors, ecu and ignition system would be compatible. I wouldn't recommend trying to make things "match" as AKGC noted above. That would be a nightmare. If everything else is still BK1 just do as suggested and change the manifolds and turbo setup back to BK1 and then the clutch. Not sure of compression would need to be changed since it's not too far off between each engine. Just get it safely tuned.

·
Premium Member
15,282 Posts
Hmmmm. I should have made it clear that a BK2 engine should have come with a harness so all your sensors, ecu and ignition system would be compatible. I wouldn't recommend trying to make things "match" as AKGC noted above. That would be a nightmare. If everything else is still BK1 just do as suggested and change the manifolds and turbo setup back to BK1 and then the clutch. Not sure of compression would need to be changed since it's not too far off between each engine. Just get it safely tuned.
BK1 2.0 = 9.4:1 compression
BK2 2.0 = 9:1 compression

Thats a 4~5% difference, meaning the engine is run rich without a tune on the low end.

The "engine" wiring harness is NOT separate to the body harness. It would have to be cut.

AC pump is another thing.
BK1 has a traditional clutched pulley system.
BK2 has a continuous variable system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts