Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's a few discussion topics on this already but they are old and so I thought I would open up this topic again. There is a HUGE safety flaw with our vehicles where at random, the throttle could get stuck open and the engine quickly races to full redline even if you're not pressing the gas pedal. There have already been many reports of this dating back to the first 2009 BK1 but to date there has not been any definitive answer as to the reason.

This happened to me today out of the blue and I have no idea what triggered it. I have a 2011 Genesis Coupe 2.0GT with 77,000kms. Luckily, I drive a manual so shifting to neutral was a quick instinct reaction. I attempted to cycle the engine 4 times, but as soon as it turns on, the revs immediately shot up. I did the following:
1) Disconnect the battery to reset the ECU
2) Took out the gas pedal assembly and cleaned the connector. Was trying to take apart the assembly completely to check out/clean the potentiometer but it's clipped on pretty tight so I gave up
3) Cleaned the throttle body and connector. There was minor build up, but it wasn't dirty
After this, the problem seemed to have gone away. I plugged in my OBD reader to verify my accelerator pedal position and throttle position readings were lining up. I suspect clearing the ECU was the most important, but I'll have to continue to monitor to see if this problem comes back.

This has me stumped and is extremely concerning because this problem could come back randomly any time. I did some searching and it appears Hyundai may have known of this years ago but nothing came out of it. There's even a formal report done, but they reference the traction control system and mis-matched tires as the culprit which is absolutely ridiculous! I should mention that when this happened, I was running the OE sized tires and they were only a few months old. See the report here:

So I'd love to share experiences. Has this ever happened to you and what were your findings?

I posted this in the BK1 2.0T section, but if this is also happening to 3.8's and BK2s, mods please feel free to move the thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I track my car. Downshifting from the long straight at Palmer, I put the clutch in and it immediately revved towards the redline. I luckily was able to put it back into 5th and then using the brakes while in gear, brought the revs back down. Carefully put the clutch in and the motor stayed elevated for a bit but them came down. I suspect I need to clean the throttle body which is this week's project.

Almost pooped my pants. I was either going to blow the motor or try to drive the entire track in 5th gear hoping not to stall out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts