Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Court Jester
4,283 Posts
I'm at 146k on my '13 3.8 track.....

Had the tranny replaced early on, but since then, it has been trouble free (hope I didn't just jinx myself!).

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
85k miles DD on Pennsylvania roads. It should be in pieces by now. Serpentine idler pulley in the only thing that I have had to replace. This car is doing better than our previous Toyota and is now going head-to-head with our Honda. The Honda is still amazing at over 130k miles. As much as I like the new Fiata 124 I just cannot get rid of this car. It is paid for, reliable and still looks good...like my wife.

·
Court Jester
4,283 Posts
85k miles DD on Pennsylvania roads. It should be in pieces by now. Serpentine idler pulley in the only thing that I have had to replace. This car is doing better than our previous Toyota and is now going head-to-head with our Honda. The Honda is still amazing at over 130k miles. As much as I like the new Fiata 124 I just cannot get rid of this car. It is paid for, reliable and still looks good...like my wife.
Your wife is "paid for"? :D

Where did you get her? Russia? China? Walmart? >:D

Sorry, couldn't resist! :nerd:

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
Your wife is "paid for"? :D

Where did you get her? Russia? China? Walmart? >:D

Sorry, couldn't resist! :nerd:
Ya know, I thought about that right after I posted the comment. You got me. Good one. Let's settle for reliable and easy to look at. I think between the engagement ring and all the jewelry in more than 25 years hence, it might just be a lease...

·
Registered
66 Posts
2011 Grand Touring. Purchased car at 30k miles in 2012.

1) When I first bought car from dealer. Volume knob on radio didn't work. Dealer deemed it as defective knob and replaced whole radio. Got a free map upgrade out of it!

2) push to start wouldn't work well for several months. Turned out to be the brake sensor which a recall was released for. No more problems after that.

Strongly Knocking on wood, I'm at 63k miles now, everything works great. I have BTR custom tune as well. Will be time to part soon as this is now my daily driver, and sometimes the winter isn't so nice in the North East =/

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
2011 Grand Touring. Purchased car at 30k miles in 2012.

1) When I first bought car from dealer. Volume knob on radio didn't work. Dealer deemed it as defective knob and replaced whole radio. Got a free map upgrade out of it!

2) push to start wouldn't work well for several months. Turned out to be the brake sensor which a recall was released for. No more problems after that.

Strongly Knocking on wood, I'm at 63k miles now, everything works great. I have BTR custom tune as well. Will be time to part soon as this is now my daily driver, and sometimes the winter isn't so nice in the North East =/
A set of snow tires. That is what I did. My car does fine in the snow. Actually, having RWD makes the car easier to handle in my view. Harder to get going though; especially with an open diff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A Hyundai dealer near me is selling a 2010 Genesis Coupe with 75k miles. I'm considering getting it, it's had two owners but zero accidents or any incidents on CarFax. I'm just worried how long it'll last. What do you think?

·
Registered
310 Posts
The Fiata 124 is not as good as the Mazda, see these comparison tests and also the 1.4 Multiair Turbo is having reliability issues, my buddy who is still a dodge mechanic said that they are going through turbos like hot cakes as well as the multiair unit itself, see these posts
Mazda Miata vs. Fiat 124 Abarth - Miata and Fiat 124 Track Test
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth vs. 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club ? Comparison Test ? Car and Driver
2017 Fiat Spider Abarth vs. 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club
Fiat 500 Forum USA Canada - Fiattech.com - - Forum
MultiAir failure database - Alfa Romeo Forum
MultiAir Failure
500L MultiAir Kaput

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
A Hyundai dealer near me is selling a 2010 Genesis Coupe with 75k miles. I'm considering getting it, it's had two owners but zero accidents or any incidents on CarFax. I'm just worried how long it'll last. What do you think?
It is impossible to say. If you bought my car you would get something well maintained and not abused. I like to have some fun, but I do not abuse my toys. Two owners in 75k miles in my view would have me concerned, but maybe that is not unusual these days. I tend to keep my cars awhile. It all boils down to how well the car was maintained and treated. I would carefully test drive it and look it over. If you know a good mechanic PAY THEM to look it over and give you an opinion. My car seems to be holding-up fine by the way.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
The Fiata 124 is not as good as the Mazda, see these comparison tests and also the 1.4 Multiair Turbo is having reliability issues, my buddy who is still a dodge mechanic said that they are going through turbos like hot cakes as well as the multiair unit itself, see these posts
Mazda Miata vs. Fiat 124 Abarth - Miata and Fiat 124 Track Test
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth vs. 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club ? Comparison Test ? Car and Driver
2017 Fiat Spider Abarth vs. 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club
Fiat 500 Forum USA Canada - Fiattech.com - - Forum
MultiAir failure database - Alfa Romeo Forum
MultiAir Failure
500L MultiAir Kaput
I get Road and Track and Car and Driver. I have read the comparisons. Those do not sway me one bit. I am of the generation that knows the original 124 pretty well. I drove these and my brother had one. The X1/9 was a street legal go-kart...from Sears. The old Fiat's were great for learning how to work on cars too. Let's see, we did the timing belt and replaced the synchros in the transmission one summer. They were a blast to drive. The ".2 second" difference in 0-60 by professional driver means nothing. Nostalgia.

Now...your links on the multi-air engine DO have me concerned. I really thought turbo reliability was pretty well sorted out by the early to mid 90's. The first runner up to my Stealth was an Eagle Talon TSi AWD. I was worried about the turbo back then. I did read the links and that would put me right into the seat of a Miata. As long as nobody t-bones my Coupe I expect to be driving it for awhile.

Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
237 Posts
83k miles going strong on my 2010 3.8 M/T, only complaints is the infamous grind into 5th gear and cheap interior(sagging headliner and cheap buttons that break easily). As long as you baby the clutch going into 5th you'll be fine tho!

·
Registered
310 Posts
78K miles on my 2010 2.0T MT. Yaw sensor for ESC replaced under warranty. Fuse for brake lights was defective not blown, swapped it out with one I had lying around. THAT'S IT. The most reliable sport car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
2010 3.8 Auto base w/ 82k. Am second owner and was purchased after a lease. Only issues were brake light switch (recall), but still gives me problems (less now after being replaced). Chrome trim on door has rust forming (most of it came clean with a wipe down....so not sure if its totally destroyed). Leather seats have wrinkles, but no major tears or cracks (previous owner didn't care for them and I pretty much stopped the bleeding when I started to maintain the car). Original tail lights leaked and is a known problem with the first generation (can replace for $50 up to $400 depending on the route you take). Radio blue back light is intermittent and goes on and off (moved it when doing my tablet install, but it had problems before that, has only gotten worse....still works though, just no light at night).

Besides that everything else is pretty solid, most complain about creaks and rattles. Not sure if mine ever did, exhaust, coils, bigger rubber.....your going to have noise. I also replaced a ton of things though and religiously take care of maintenance. So it is possible things could of failed or broke, but are now aftermarket. I know I'm the 3rd owner my LSD and it was beaten on, still working flawlessly.....just do oil changes when it seems to be getting "clunkier" or louder unless the mileage comes.

Without being a complete douche on the road, I beat on the car pretty bad. Sees quarter miles, long road trips, road racing events, and hopefully auto-x soon. So its a DD that takes abuse and wants more.

·
Registered
310 Posts
2010 3.8 Auto base w/ 82k. Am second owner and was purchased after a lease. Only issues were brake light switch (recall), but still gives me problems (less now after being replaced). Chrome trim on door has rust forming (most of it came clean with a wipe down....so not sure if its totally destroyed). Leather seats have wrinkles, but no major tears or cracks (previous owner didn't care for them and I pretty much stopped the bleeding when I started to maintain the car). Original tail lights leaked and is a known problem with the first generation (can replace for $50 up to $400 depending on the route you take). Radio blue back light is intermittent and goes on and off (moved it when doing my tablet install, but it had problems before that, has only gotten worse....still works though, just no light at night).

Besides that everything else is pretty solid, most complain about creaks and rattles. Not sure if mine ever did, exhaust, coils, bigger rubber.....your going to have noise. I also replaced a ton of things though and religiously take care of maintenance. So it is possible things could of failed or broke, but are now aftermarket. I know I'm the 3rd owner my LSD and it was beaten on, still working flawlessly.....just do oil changes when it seems to be getting "clunkier" or louder unless the mileage comes.

Without being a complete douche on the road, I beat on the car pretty bad. Sees quarter miles, long road trips, road racing events, and hopefully auto-x soon. So its a DD that takes abuse and wants more.
The brake light switch is adjustable, there are 2 nuts that need to loosened up, adjust it to where the plunger stays pressed until the brake pedal is pressed about an inch, it will fix the problem. I also have the the problem with the radio display light going out, but I give it a good whack and it comes back on. I checked the pins on the plug, tried to adjust them, but it always comes back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is impossible to say. If you bought my car you would get something well maintained and not abused. I like to have some fun, but I do not abuse my toys. Two owners in 75k miles in my view would have me concerned, but maybe that is not unusual these days. I tend to keep my cars awhile. It all boils down to how well the car was maintained and treated. I would carefully test drive it and look it over. If you know a good mechanic PAY THEM to look it over and give you an opinion. My car seems to be holding-up fine by the way.
A close friend of mine is a very good mechanic, everything he's predicted about my current car, what's going to go next, what the cause of every minor problem is, etc. was all on point. What mostly concerned me about the listing, is that it was not certified by the dealership. To be fair, I'm not sure how many dealerships would certify any pre-owned sports car. We have done good business with that dealership, and we know a sales guy there.

Any things you recommend to look out for while test-driving? Anything that could be a clear sign of any common problems with the 2010 model year?

I don't know if this means much, but the first 8-9 years the car was driven less than average according to CarFax, and then the second owner only owned the car for a year and added 10k miles within that span, and then sold off the car.

Thanks for the help guys :wink:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well first of all, i'd double check that statement with the dealership...due to the fact that this car came out only 6 years ago. But as far as what to look for on the test drive, make sure to check 5th gear because its known to grind in that gear on the ZF transmission(assuming you're getting a manual) and it makes a great price negotiation point and can be helped/fixed with a short shifter and new shift knob. Also check that the taillights are functioning properly, there was some kind of recall a couple years ago on them that any hyundai dealer will fix. And lastly i'd just check the fluid dipsticks as a good measure on how the car was maintained by the previous owner. Good luck!

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
The test drive should be smooth without any unexpected noises. My daughter's boyfriend just bought an older Jeep. The fluids are all good although I suggested we will want to change the transfer case and rear diff when the weather breaks next year. It looks like somebody put Dexcool in to top off the coolant :barf: The heater was working poorly and there was a bunch of crap in the overflow tank. We spent the morning cleaning the coolant system and then putting in the correct coolant. Heater works now and the engine should be happy this winter too. It has a sticky sunroof too so I expect to be looking into that as well.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts