Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me what years Genesis Sedan 3.8 intake manifold is compatible with the Genesis Coupes lower intake?

·
Premium Member
16,121 Posts
Why? It's been stated by hyundai that part of the difference in power between the sedan and coupe is because of intake manifold design.
ei. the coupe manifold makes more power. IDK if that's actual fact or not, other than hyundai saying so.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why? It's been stated by hyundai that part of the difference in power between the sedan and coupe is because of intake manifold design.
ei. the coupe manifold makes more power. IDK if that's actual fact or not, other than hyundai saying so.
Yeah you are incorrect on all accounts. The sedan manifold is better flowing than the Coupe.

·
Premium Member
16,121 Posts
Yeah you are incorrect on all accounts. The sedan manifold is better flowing than the Coupe.
Just simply stating "better flow" doesn't really describe much.

runner lengths, plenum volume, amount of turbulence ect, makes all the difference

edit: thought this was the 2010-2012 forum.

On that note, from 10 min of searching online the 2016 3.8 coupe is listed with 348hp, 2015 sedan as 311hp.
In terms of manifold, the sedan probably has longer runners, which usually translates to more lower end torque due to higher intake velocity, but bottlenecks higher in the rpm. they probably did this because the car is heavier than the coupe.

If you are comparing the g80 from hyundai's site, that the 5.0 v8 numbers if I read right. there are no specs that I can find for the g80 3.8
and IIRC they were going to switch (if they haven't already. haven't been keeping with genesis news past 2014) to a 3.3tt
2016 Hyundai Genesis coupe | Features and Specs | Car and Driver
https://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/genesis/2015/sedan/features-specs/

List your sources.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just simply stating "better flow" doesn't really describe much.

runner lengths, plenum volume, amount of turbulence ect, makes all the difference

edit: thought this was the 2010-2012 forum.

On that note, from 10 min of searching online the 2016 3.8 coupe is listed with 348hp, 2015 sedan as 311hp.
If you are comparing the g80 from hyundai's site, that the 5.0 v8 numbers if I read right. there are no specs that I can find for the g80 3.8
and IIRC they were going to switch (if they haven't already. haven't been keeping with genesis news past 2014) to a 3.3tt
2016 Hyundai Genesis coupe | Features and Specs | Car and Driver
https://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/genesis/2015/sedan/features-specs/

List your sources.
Can you please remove yourself from this thread. This has nothing to do with answering my question. Clearly you don't know anything. I just want my question answered. I miss the Z community so much. This forum is such a shell

·
Premium Member
16,121 Posts
Can you please remove yourself from this thread. This has nothing to do with answering my question. Clearly you don't know anything. I just want my question answered. I miss the Z community so much. This forum is such a shell
I asked you a question, you answered that I was wrong. I list reasons and sources, that I was right.
I responded the same as I did on the Z forums, many moons ago.
Look at the number of posts I have and how long I've been on the forum... Clearly I don't know anything.

Looking at part numbers and maintenance diagrams,
2015+ sedan: no
2014 and olders sedan: maybe~

reason for "maybe" is because on the coupe they kept the sheet gasket design lower manifold, where are the 2013 and 2014 sedans(maybe 2012 also), the they changed it to an o-ring design (when they change one thing, it's likely that they change other things)
2015+, it's a completely different lower manifold.

Editted to add pretty pictures:

GDI 3.8 couple manifold

2013 - 2014 sedan manifold

2015+ sedan manifold

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track White Pearl
3,107 Posts
Yes, one for the MPI motor and one for GDI but I suspect since they share a common base part number they are probably identical or close to it. OP will probably have to wait for either @Tuffbuffalooo or @Snoopy0812 to confirm which one is which or if it even matters since I don't think it's mentioned in that thread other than that it's from a 2013-2014 car.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, one for the MPI motor and one for GDI but I suspect since they share a common base part number they are probably identical or close to it. OP will probably have to wait for either @Tuffbuffalooo or @Snoopy0812 to confirm which one is which or if it even matters since I don't think it's mentioned in that thread other than that it's from a 2013-2014 car.

Thank you! I believe the surge tank is where the difference is. Would love if snoop could clarify which parts are needed to add to the 3.8GDI

·
Premium Member
16,121 Posts
Just realized, of the 3 diagrams I posted, all 3 have the same part number for the lower manifold.... including the 2015+. that can't be right.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It's not right. The lower manifolds are not the same. The MPI lower manifold has holes for fuel injectors to plug in. The GDI lower manifold, obviously, does not have holes for injectors since it's a direct injection engine.

There are still a lot of questions about the plastic intake manifolds. Presently, we know the GDI sedan manifold bolts on to the GDI coupe engine. That's enough to answer the OP's question:

bswanny, the plastic upper intake manifold from a 2013-2016 "DH" Genesis Sedan will bolt right on to the lower intake manifold from a 2013-2016 "BK2" Genesis Coupe. This will move the throttle-body, so you'll have to do some fabrication to make your intake reach.

The bigger question for me, that hasn't been answered yet, is if the plastic upper intake from a 2013-2016 DH Genesis Sedan wioll bolt onto the plastic lower intake from a 2009-2012 "BH" Genesis Sedan. If that turns out to be true then 2010-2012 "BK1" Genesis Coupes could also use the superior plastic intake manifold from the DH sedan.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not right. The lower manifolds are not the same. The MPI lower manifold has holes for fuel injectors to plug in. The GDI lower manifold, obviously, does not have holes for injectors since it's a direct injection engine.

There are still a lot of questions about the plastic intake manifolds. Presently, we know the GDI sedan manifold bolts on to the GDI coupe engine. That's enough to answer the OP's question:

bswanny, the plastic upper intake manifold from a 2013-2016 "DH" Genesis Sedan will bolt right on to the lower intake manifold from a 2013-2016 "BK2" Genesis Coupe. This will move the throttle-body, so you'll have to do some fabrication to make your intake reach.

The bigger question for me, that hasn't been answered yet, is if the plastic upper intake from a 2013-2016 DH Genesis Sedan wioll bolt onto the plastic lower intake from a 2009-2012 "BH" Genesis Sedan. If that turns out to be true then 2010-2012 "BK1" Genesis Coupes could also use the superior plastic intake manifold from the DH sedan.
l

Thank you! Do you know if there is additional electrical work needed?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Any one confirm this is the correct part number for BK2 swap?
29210-3CDD0

·
Registered
325 Posts
l

Do you know if there is additional electrical work needed?
Yes, if you want to take full advantage of the manifold then additional electrical work is needed to drive the solenoid that makes the variable-geometry mechanism work. I'm not sure anyone has gotten that done yet.

·
shorttrack
1,693 Posts
Yes, if you want to take full advantage of the manifold then additional electrical work is needed to drive the solenoid that makes the variable-geometry mechanism work. I'm not sure anyone has gotten that done yet.
Deleted post.

·
shorttrack
1,693 Posts
Deleted post.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
^ Yeah, fabbing this up would actually be relatively easy. Assuming the Hyundai connector on the manifold is common or readily available, of course.

·
Registered
325 Posts
RPM switch.Signal pulled by a MSD GMR .

MSD GMR Is how I get my RPM signal to run my NX nitrous controller's multi functions .Very easy to use .
I remember this being your suggestion over in Tuff Buffaloo's "All Motor 3.8" thread where he was detailing his plastic manifold conversion. I know this is a 100% functional setup on your nitrous rig, I just didn't think anyone has actively used it to run the variable geometry mechanism on a sedan manifold yet.

Our plan for Project Hoondy is to provide a signal to the solenoid using a spare output on the Haltech engine management system we intend to use. We're just hoping we can employ a "DH" sedan manifold like Tuff Buffaloo used on our earlier BK1 Gencoupe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts