Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
G-Member
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting New 19" Tires; Should I Get Tire Warranty, Replace Valve Stems, TPMS Rebuild

I plan on buying the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO's from either tires-easy or discount tire direct.

My friend recommends that you always replace the valve stems when buying new tires. But what about the tire warranty and the TPMS Rebuild kit? Is it worth the extra money or is it a scam?

I heard some people were able to reuse the stock TPMS sensors and had no problems. I'm just replacing the tires and not the rim so it shouldn't be that difficult to reuse the stock ones.

Discount tire direct offers a warranty for an extra $20 a tire. They call it a certificate for refund or replacement. I will be covered for the life of the original tread down to 3/32" remaining, or 3 years from the date of purchase. So if I pick up a nail, hit a pothole and blow the tire out, they will replace it for free. I live in NJ which is the pothole capital of the US so it seems like a good idea unless someone can tell me otherwise.

With valve stems and warranty for all 4 tires, the price is $799.50 from DTD out the door. Sounds good to me.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
your valve stem is part of your tpms. you shouldnt have to replace it. i have never replaced one for putting on tires but then again they were on infinitis lol. i dont know how the hyundai ones hold up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I plan on buying the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO's from either tires-easy or discount tire direct.

My friend recommends that you always replace the valve stems when buying new tires. But what about the tire warranty and the TPMS Rebuild kit? Is it worth the extra money or is it a scam?

I heard some people were able to reuse the stock TPMS sensors and had no problems. I'm just replacing the tires and not the rim so it shouldn't be that difficult to reuse the stock ones.

Discount tire direct offers a warranty for an extra $20 a tire. They call it a certificate for refund or replacement. I will be covered for the life of the original tread down to 3/32" remaining, or 3 years from the date of purchase. So if I pick up a nail, hit a pothole and blow the tire out, they will replace it for free. I live in NJ which is the pothole capital of the US so it seems like a good idea unless someone can tell me otherwise.

With valve stems and warranty for all 4 tires, the price is $799.50 from DTD out the door. Sounds good to me.

Thanks in advance for the help :)
I wouldn't get a tire warranty OR the valve stems. IMO tire warranty is just piece of mind and most of the time you never really use it. Idk where you live, but where I am in NJ, there's still a decent amount of potholes on the highway and stuff but I've never had a blow out because of it, and how often do you get a blow out or your tire gets completely destroyed? It's only happened once in my family, and that was because my mom didn't realize that she had a flat even though the "flat tire" warning came on her car and drove on a flat tire for a few miles or so. But then again, if you're paranoid about that stuff, then it's worth it for piece of mind, doesn't really bother me as much.

·
G-Member
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't get a tire warranty OR the valve stems. IMO tire warranty is just piece of mind and most of the time you never really use it. Idk where you live, but where I am in NJ, there's still a decent amount of potholes on the highway and stuff but I've never had a blow out because of it, and how often do you get a blow out or your tire gets completely destroyed? It's only happened once in my family, and that was because my mom didn't realize that she had a flat even though the "flat tire" warning came on her car and drove on a flat tire for a few miles or so. But then again, if you're paranoid about that stuff, then it's worth it for piece of mind, doesn't really bother me as much.
Well I drive from Woodbridge to Morristown. 287 and some side streets can be unforgiving. Its not just the potholes though. Its the construction sites. I pass a lot of them. I picked up a screw in my back tire not too long ago passing through one.

I think i'm just going to get the tires. Thanks for the advice guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts