Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking around this Forum for a while but this is my first Thread. You guys have been so helpful and I've learned a lot from just reading.
I've searched and couldn't find anything on this subject.
I've got the 3.8 track and I just took it out in the (light) snow for the first time. I get a horible grinding sounds when I touch the breaks and the pedal starts vibrating bad. Is this just a function of the EBD or do I have something to go to the dealer with? The brakes are perfect in all other conditions.

What does everyone think?

·
I keep it dirty and nerdy
1,525 Posts
it's the sign of the ABS working. Perfectly normal.

No offense to you, but this is one thing wrong with drivers and car companies... Companies are coming out with control systems and drivers never learn how to properly use them. There's plenty of stories of drivers experiencing what you did, and taking their foot off the brakes and careening into other cars/walls. Now that you know, I would mention it to any friends you think might not know, because you'd be surprised how many people are scared by ABS and do worse things.

·
I keep it dirty and nerdy
1,525 Posts
^^^ not everyone has owned cars with ABS and many people (especially in warmer climates) have never experienced ABS. I used to teach advanced drivers training, and I saw all sorts of reactions to people feeling ABS for the first time.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
^^^ not everyone has owned cars with ABS and many people (especially in warmer climates) have never experienced ABS. I used to teach advanced drivers training, and I saw all sorts of reactions to people feeling ABS for the first time.
But, on a side note, having driven a lot of different cars with different ABS systems, I can say the GC's is outstanding, in my last car, the ABS wouldn't disengage until the car came to a complete stop or if you took the foot of the pedal then RE-applied brakes, even if the pavement wasn't slippery anymore...

In the GC it'll go off, then as soon as grip is present, ABS stops. Had lots of adjusting to do from that discovery.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help! :bowdown: and no, not my first car. Wrangler's don't make this grind, nor the tib.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And yes, now I realize it's not grinding.. just felt like that to my un-informed self. I will absolutely let people know that it's normal. Thanks for the advice and it's well recieved!

·
Registered
481 Posts
It is definately nice having abs. My first car the abs/e-brake did not work. Another car I drove did not have abs which I did not know until someone cut me off on the interstate going about 20 mph slower than me.

·
4th color - 4th wheels
8,829 Posts
^lol ..."definitely nice having abs" ... I would capitalize ABS. Definitely a great system but in the snow it does get annoying

·
Jack of All Trades
839 Posts
ABS DRIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........(not possible)...... POWER OVER DRIFT!!!!!!!....(highly effective - make sure VSA is off, not recommended for non-experienced drivers practice little at a time).....then DOUDBLE SUN POWEEERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!......

Sorry jack on caffeine right now....but yes it's your ABS :RFOL:

·
Registered
994 Posts
I was shocked too. I had driven my GFs car in snow and it has ABS but it felt nothing like the genesis did. I just chalked it up to the Genni having much more robust brakes than her car did.

·
Car newb
2,239 Posts
Yeah, my first experience with ABS was Jan 2007 when I moved to Denver for a few years for school. I thought my Scion tC's brakes were about to go out, lol. When it started vibrating, I thought pushing down harder would make it brake better. :p After a few months of that, I finally started to manually shift when driving in snow which was a million times better than letting the A/T do it for me as I could actually stop while going 5-15mph.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It's not uncommon for people to have no idea what ABS feels like. I live in Alaska surrounded by military bases and deal with a lot of soldiers learning to drive in snow and ice. Mostly comical as they tend to "crash" in unlikely places (not intersections, usually straight stretches, ramps and the sort lol).

Keep in mind when you're ABS kicks in you're at the end of the rope. If you anticipate a lack of traction continuing you need to assess your situation quickly and carefully so to prevent a colission. You can slowly "swerve" to reduce forward inertia (generally not recommended as most the time you'll lose control) or find a ditch, gravel, asphalt anything with better traction than what you are currently on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts