Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i will be hopefully be installing downpipes soon on the car and started thinking, when i remove the stock downpipes can i just gut the primary cat as a cheap, temporary mod before getting the headers?

when the stock downpipes are removed, the primary cat is right there and gutting it shouldnt be a problem. i have never done this before as i have always removed my cats the right way ( never gutting them) but its just a random thought that popped into my head.

any downsides to runnin 0 cats but with Stock headers? look like alot of the rattling issue that aftermarket headers get is within the collector and that problem would be non existent with the stock header.

Just a thought guys.

·
제네시스 쿠페
1,070 Posts
i wouldn't do it....

i have no rattling issue with my headers

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
i will be hopefully be installing downpipes soon on the car and started thinking, when i remove the stock downpipes can i just gut the primary cat as a cheap, temporary mod before getting the headers?

when the stock downpipes are removed, the primary cat is right there and gutting it shouldnt be a problem. i have never done this before as i have always removed my cats the right way ( never gutting them) but its just a random thought that popped into my head.

any downsides to runnin 0 cats but with Stock headers? look like alot of the rattling issue that aftermarket headers get is within the collector and that problem would be non existent with the stock header.

Just a thought guys.

Only time I would do this is if I knew I would NEVER go back to stock, since the OEM cats cost quite a bit to replace.

Just sayin'.

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
.... no offense but gutting cats is for ricers...

by gutting a cat you create an incredible amount of parasitic drag at the point where the exhaust gas enters the cat (size up in diameter) and then where it leaves the cat (size down in diameter) creating all kinds of turbulence and irregular pressure characteristics. It also sounds goofy.

I say don't do it :|

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea thats what i was thinking QM, since the size of the cat is all wierd. lol but i wasnt planning on doing it but it just popped in my head as a possible thought that COULD be done.

·
The OG
7,957 Posts
I'd skip it.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
Pick up a universal Hi-Flow cat & install it would be my recommendation, then save the old one in case you need it or sell it outright....cats are worth a pretty penny.

·
Gooood! GOOOOOD!
6,450 Posts
You don't want to gut any cat, really. It can be pretty bloody...

ANYWAY, gutting your primary catalytic converter is not a good thing to do. Mainly because of the caustic elements that make it functional. Keep yourself safe, save up, and buy aftermarket replacements. ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts

by gutting a cat you create an incredible amount of parasitic drag at the point where the exhaust gas enters the cat (size up in diameter) and then where it leaves the cat (size down in diameter) creating all kinds of turbulence and irregular pressure characteristics. It also sounds goofy.

ahhh yes i didnt think about that either

·
Registered
288 Posts

I agree, don't do it, or buy someone's who has already destroyed theirs.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts

this and OEM cats are worth quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
You don't want to gut any cat, really. It can be pretty bloody...

ANYWAY, gutting your primary catalytic converter is not a good thing to do. Mainly because of the caustic elements that make it functional. Keep yourself safe, save up, and buy aftermarket replacements. ;)
This, the material inside a cat is very hazardous to humans. Please if you do attempt to gut the stock cat do so with proper gear. Make sure you wear a mask and cover your skin.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just wait until you put headers. If for ever reason you have to go back to stock, you'll have them.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This, the material inside a cat is very hazardous to humans. Please if you do attempt to gut the stock cat do so with proper gear. Make sure you wear a mask and cover your skin.
im not gutting anything guys. relax. i was just mentioning as a thought.
thats it.

·
Love me some me!!!
301 Posts
Do ya have to have both CAT's or can you delete the primary with the headers and keep the secondary?

·
The OG
7,957 Posts
You can have 0 cats (with rattle), primary cats, secondary cats, or both. Whatever you decide.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts