Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Norman,OK
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
I have been talking to Time at Beyond Redline about the Haltech php ECU and i'm kinda lost on what I should do.
I have a 10' R-spec and currently have a BR 91 octane tune for stock car.
I have a catless DP and evo x injectors waiting to be installed, so with that
I will be running the car with just bolt-ons for a while. But in the nearish future will be upgrading the turbo to probably around a 300-340whp option.

I am wanting some opinions on tuning the car. The Poweraxel module tune has been fairly good, I do have the twitchy throttle and I am having boost spikes up to around 23-24psi (Not sure its much of the tune as it is the small framed turbo) but other than that it has been fairly stable tunning.

I came in to some money and am thinking about one time just dropping the money and going Haltech.
If I go this route, I will be driving to Beyond Redline and having Luke custom tune the car. I also like the data logging and all other features.

But with just a minor turbo upgrade, will the Haltech perform better than the PA module? Or would the stock ECU be smoother all around than the Haltech wich is pretty much a "race-box"? If I do stick with the stock ECU, I will probably be driving up to BR to get a custom tune with it. And I will also buy a CMD with the Wideband So I can have data-logging and AFR monitoring, along with being able to do some fine tuning, so that is around $700 that cuts into some of the price of the Haltech.

The car will be a daily-driven street car, and my main goal is to have a super-reliable, great driving tuned car with good power and a smooth,stable tune/setup.
So if money isn't part of the decision, what will get me better end-results for a stable daily driven street car?

Thanks for any advice,

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
Haltech wins all the time, every time. The only downside to is is requiring either tuning knowledge to DIY or paying someone to bang out a tune above and beyond the $1800 price of the unit.

Edit: The BIGGEST thing is the boost control. PowerAxel has a very stupid boost table reference and always results in less than ideal boost curves.

Reactions: Werner Santos

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Haltech wins all the time, every time. The only downside to is is requiring either tuning knowledge to DIY or paying someone to bang out a tune above and beyond the $1800 price of the unit.

Edit: The BIGGEST thing is the boost control. PowerAxel has a very stupid boost table reference and always results in less than ideal boost curves.
I'm confused, so paying more then triple to get the same results = a win?

I can understand once you hit the limits of the ECU, but if the guy is going to run bolt-ons, that is severe over kill...hopefully someone some day steps in and sees the insanity beyond a large sale to a vendor...

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
Tune for tune on the same car, the haltech will always get better numbers and a way, WAY better power curve.

sent from my not-so-smartphone

·
Norman,OK
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah gains aren't really my biggest concern. I could care less if my dyno slip says I have this magical number. I want a good driving car.
It sounds like the haltech will get me a better power curve. So atleast from the performance standpoint It will be better. But what about living with the car day-to-day. I know the stock ECU has alot of little maps and other things for certain situations and problems to make the car drive smooth.

But you are saying a custom tune for the Haltech will be better than a custom tune from the PowerAxel Module?

But say we do throw money in the situation, will the haltech be that much better to justify it over the reflashed ECU?
Or should I just spend my money and get a small turbo upgrade and run it with a reflashed PA module?
Everyone on here says Haltech is the best thing since peanut butter and is the reason I want to go this route. I just don't want all the bs little problems I see so much when moddying with reflashed ECU's/canned tunes.

Thanks again for your help. No matter what $2 grand is alot to spend and I want to spend it the best way on my car. If haltech is that much better i'll go with it and save up for a turbo later. Cause if I dont buy it now I won't ever get one.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
if you are only looking for 300-340 whp, don't bother with a haltech. thats a $1700+ unit, plus at least another $600-700 to tune it properly. Conservatively $2500. thats a lot more money for only ~340whp. I'd just up the turbo and get a custom tune from someone. GT28 can hit 320whp on an AUTO. or you could go the TD-## route.

If you wanted 400+ numbers, haltech all the way, but then you'd also need a built motor which is another $2000.

·
Suby tuner O.o
170 Posts
Yeah gains aren't really my biggest concern. I could care less if my dyno slip says I have this magical number. I want a good driving car.
It sounds like the haltech will get me a better power curve. So atleast from the performance standpoint It will be better. But what about living with the car day-to-day. I know the stock ECU has alot of little maps and other things for certain situations and problems to make the car drive smooth.

But you are saying a custom tune for the Haltech will be better than a custom tune from the PowerAxel Module?

But say we do throw money in the situation, will the haltech be that much better to justify it over the reflashed ECU?
Or should I just spend my money and get a small turbo upgrade and run it with a reflashed PA module?
Everyone on here says Haltech is the best thing since peanut butter and is the reason I want to go this route. I just don't want all the bs little problems I see so much when moddying with reflashed ECU's/canned tunes.

Thanks again for your help. No matter what $2 grand is alot to spend and I want to spend it the best way on my car. If haltech is that much better i'll go with it and save up for a turbo later. Cause if I dont buy it now I won't ever get one.
With a proper reflash done and not a canned tuned for a DD it is better to use the reflash to maintain drive ability and fuel economy. The Stand alone may have all the features but tbo the stock ecu is designed to handle your car just fine. A stand alone is overkill for your targets and will be more expensive in the long run.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Check into emissions testing in your area. If they just do a tailpipe Sniffer the haltech will be fine but if they hook up to the ecu to check for codes the haltech won't work and you won't pass inspection. Aside from that, haltech all the way.

·
Norman,OK
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The one good thing about oklahoma is you can do just about anything you want to your car. No emissions.
I know it might not make sense money wise, but that really isnt the point of my post. I am willing to throw away stupid money to have a badass ECU. I would love to be able to know everything my car is doing, and have complete control.

My main question was if I have the Haltech tuned right will it be as good or better than a reflashed ECU? I know it is for high horsepower. But for something in the area of an atp drop in or a 16g will the Haltech be able to tune the car as good/smooth as a reflashed ECU?

I have pretty much decided to go Haltech route so thanks all for the info

·
Registered
263 Posts
Good choice

·
Registered
8 Posts
If money it's not a concern I think haltech with the correct settings should be safer than a costume tune. Try to check who can tune it where you live and how good ate they etc

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Whats a costume tune LOL

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get the Haltech. There is no comparison. stock ECU sucks

·
Turbo noob
5,514 Posts
a costume tune and how good ate they
gotta love iPhone autocorrect!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Like I said in PMs. I just drove 8 hours to Geen Bay today so BR can tune my haltech tomorrow(Thursday). All of your concerns sound identical to mine. Mines a daily driver, and while I want the most possible out of my set up, 99% of the time I want stock like drivability with better throttle control, and I was not happy with my CMD or PA tunes.

I'll post my impressions of the haltech with BR tune shortly.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Like I said in PMs. I just drove 8 hours to Geen Bay today so BR can tune my haltech tomorrow(Thursday). All of your concerns sound identical to mine. Mines a daily driver, and while I want the most possible out of my set up, 99% of the time I want stock like drivability with better throttle control, and I was not happy with my CMD or PA tunes.

I'll post my impressions of the haltech with BR tune shortly.

Really can't wait Tim and Luke are awesome!!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Now that you've decided on Haltech, if you want less driving distance for a tune, look at Jotech Motorsports in Dallas. They built and tuned Master Vu's 587whp gen and have experience with Haltech (They just tuned Vu's with haltech). I've gotten work done from them and they are an awesome company and great guys (not to mention Kenny Tran is a master tuner). Just saying

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Really can't wait Tim and Luke are awesome!!!
Current review.

Pros: Throttle feels correct, boost explosion is gone, normal driveability feels WAY better, dont have much seat time yet.

Cons: Its raining and I dont have traction in 4th at only 10lbs. :gc-drool1:

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts

THANK YOU for making the trip to visit us. I was my pleasure to have you as our guest. May your trip home be safe and uneventful.

You are welcome to return any time for a built short block and larger turbo as we discussed :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts