Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Yea, it was a pleasure meeting you guys. Looks like you guys have a lot of big projects going on, very cool shop.

Sorry I cant really give much of a review yet. Its freaking pouring outside. Normal driving feels great. Its so odd to have normal or Correct style throttle. I drove around for a little while, 1/2 hour or so, mostly stop and go, but it feels great. I dare anybody without a Haltech to out and try and hold a steady rpm, like 1500, or 2000. Sucks dont it? lol

Ive been driving with "boost explosion" for so long, Im almost afraid to give it 50% throttle so it doesnt jump from 5 to 25lbs, its so weird to see my gauge be able to hole 10-12psi, and I can accelerate faster than traffic, but not WOT. Thats been the biggest thing that has pissed me off for a long time. It used to be accelerate like a Grandma, or take off like Johnny Tran.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Nice numbers man glad to hear good ole boost explosion is gone thats the number 1 thing I hate right now!!!!!!!!! I knew BR would make great numbers for you and I will be next to head that way!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Yea, it was a pleasure meeting you guys. Looks like you guys have a lot of big projects going on, very cool shop.

Sorry I cant really give much of a review yet. Its freaking pouring outside. Normal driving feels great. Its so odd to have normal or Correct style throttle. I drove around for a little while, 1/2 hour or so, mostly stop and go, but it feels great. I dare anybody without a Haltech to out and try and hold a steady rpm, like 1500, or 2000. Sucks dont it? lol

Ive been driving with "boost explosion" for so long, Im almost afraid to give it 50% throttle so it doesnt jump from 5 to 25lbs, its so weird to see my gauge be able to hole 10-12psi, and I can accelerate faster than traffic, but not WOT. Thats been the biggest thing that has pissed me off for a long time. It used to be accelerate like a Grandma, or take off like Johnny Tran.
that is so awesome thanks for that. I just bought Haltech so soon ill be aboard your train and have some easy acceleration and none of this BOOM hit super sonic speeds in 1 sec lol(yes i exaggerate!)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Ok, heres some hard facts, now that im back home with good internet. And staring at my old and new dyno charts.

My previous Best pull ever was 320whp, 384wtq, spiking almost 30lbs. My average before was around 308whp with upper 360wtq. still running almost 26-27lbs peak, tapering to 21 at redling. This was on a Dynocom dyno (some say they read higher Tq to begin with)

My current haltech setup (dyno tuned by Beyond Redline) on a DynoJet. Most of my final pulls were around 300-305whp with 315-330wtq. So at this point (And I even thought so) good numbers for that boost, but its a lot less boost, and around 40 less Tq, Will I be happy with a slower car? Hell no, im going to be pissed.

Reality, its not slower. For instance all dyno pulls, before and after, started below 2 grand. So, lets look at some RPM/Power differences

Comparing Old Average, to New Average.
3k rpms, Old 230wtq, New 315-320wtq, +90 (holy crap thats power you can feel, and it holds that power until 4,500)
3k rpms, Old 140whp, New 175whp +35

Lets go top end.
6k rpms, old 290wtq new 275wtq -15
6k rpms, old 275whp new 300whp +25

7k rpms, old 175wtq, New 215wtq +35wtq
7k rpms, old 230whp, New 275whp +45whp

So, my peak numbers are down, boohoo lol

Driving home today, it was so much nicer. To be able to be going 70mph, and just roll on the throttle and hold about 10psi, and easily go around a semi, or another car, is just so nice. I can cruise, and pass people normally without down shifting, or worrying about breaking that 5psi mark and it trying to shoot to 25lbs in 6th at 3k rpms.

Drove it for 8 hours today, almost 500 miles, and im still amazed.

·
Burger King Dildo Hammer
2,189 Posts
I got the BR Stage 1 for my car over a year ago. Loved it at first, but after awhile I sometimes find it annoying, when the boost hits, but the slow climb to hit the boost I found annoying too. I find I also have to re-tune at least every two weeks or it just doesn't feel as powerful. If I leave it for a month without re-flashing the ECU, it sometimes won't startup with any Boost, and I have to restart the car to get it back.

I was wondering if any of the other vendors had something smoother, but if it's just the poweraxel, sounds like Haltech is the way to go. Would love to get one, but I don't have the knowledge for really tuning it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Would love to get one, but I don't have the knowledge for really tuning it.
Me either, thats why I drove over 1000 miles in the last 2 days to have good shop tune mine. WORTH IT!!

·
Burger King Dildo Hammer
2,189 Posts
I thought about making plans to go to BR... but then I booked all my vacation already... not too mention I don't know what I would do while the car was there... catch a football game during the season?

At this point though, I'm not longer going passed stage 1 (possibly losing my job, engaged, looking for a house), so prob not worth it for me.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Yea that sucks. They did my car in one day. So I got to the hotel Wed night, tuned all Thursday, had dinner and went to bed. Then hit the road early Friday morning.

·
Burger King Dildo Hammer
2,189 Posts
Not bad! Any idea if their BR ECU is any good? It's like half the price of the haltech, not sure if would be better than the PA canned tune.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I come from a CMD with PA reflash backround, I havent looked into their replacement ECUs.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Not bad! Any idea if their BR ECU is any good? It's like half the price of the haltech, not sure if would be better than the PA canned tune.
Replacement ECU is the same as PA flash. Just a different means of end product delivery to the customer.

Thanks for the brutally honest feedback! Love that its working out so well for you.

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
Pop quiz time kiddies, does the haltech ditch the cruise ctrl or keep it? This is a pretty big deciding factor to moi.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
So I'm starting a new job that will make me a lot more money, and now some things that were out of reach are within reach in the next year or so if I save. Thanks for your posts on driving to BR for the Haltech tune. I'm now convinced that I should save up the bread for an engine build, turbo swap and Haltech tune and get BR or a similar shop to do it all at once. Should be epic! What do you think, about $5-6k including labor if I source the turbo and manifold, considering I'll have the engine in the car for a core exchange on the spot?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Thats a question for Tim. lol

·
2.0 MT - Shanghai
1,418 Posts
Ok, heres some hard facts, now that im back home with good internet. And staring at my old and new dyno charts.

My previous Best pull ever was 320whp, 384wtq, spiking almost 30lbs. My average before was around 308whp with upper 360wtq. still running almost 26-27lbs peak, tapering to 21 at redling. This was on a Dynocom dyno (some say they read higher Tq to begin with)

My current haltech setup (dyno tuned by Beyond Redline) on a DynoJet. Most of my final pulls were around 300-305whp with 315-330wtq. So at this point (And I even thought so) good numbers for that boost, but its a lot less boost, and around 40 less Tq, Will I be happy with a slower car? Hell no, im going to be pissed.

Reality, its not slower. For instance all dyno pulls, before and after, started below 2 grand. So, lets look at some RPM/Power differences

Comparing Old Average, to New Average.
3k rpms, Old 230wtq, New 315-320wtq, +90 (holy crap thats power you can feel, and it holds that power until 4,500)
3k rpms, Old 140whp, New 175whp +35

Lets go top end.
6k rpms, old 290wtq new 275wtq -15
6k rpms, old 275whp new 300whp +25

7k rpms, old 175wtq, New 215wtq +35wtq
7k rpms, old 230whp, New 275whp +45whp

So, my peak numbers are down, boohoo lol

Driving home today, it was so much nicer. To be able to be going 70mph, and just roll on the throttle and hold about 10psi, and easily go around a semi, or another car, is just so nice. I can cruise, and pass people normally without down shifting, or worrying about breaking that 5psi mark and it trying to shoot to 25lbs in 6th at 3k rpms.

Drove it for 8 hours today, almost 500 miles, and im still amazed.
Hi Kolk1, I am back on the forums. Finally got married so things are a little bit more settled down, although I have a new job on the way and still busy with other stuff.

Congratulations for going forward with the Haltech and for your choice of tuner and congrats to BR for the great results!

I was pointed out to this thread from the CMD thread since I was starting to be annoyed by the same thing as you: in my case jumping from 5 to 20 psi while trying to hold partial throttle on the highway. I mainly drive inside the city center so it is not that big of an issue for me but it can be annoying sometimes, although I always enjoy applying the cure, which is flooring it ;)

Would it be something doable for BR to ship a Haltech ECU with a 19T tune without me driving from China (of course financial arrangements to pay for the tune are possible)? It is not a priority but I still might be interested for a "canned tuned" haltech since we have the same set up and I don't know of any serious (and reliable) tuner here?

What is the reason (if not confidential) for not holding the 21 psi to 6500 thus getting the whp drop? Is it flow related or is it injector related, or does it come from somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Hi Kolk1, I am back on the forums. Finally got married so things are a little bit more settled down, although I have a new job on the way and still busy with other stuff.

Congratulations for going forward with the Haltech and for your choice of tuner and congrats to BR for the great results!

I was pointed out to this thread from the CMD thread since I was starting to be annoyed by the same thing as you: in my case jumping from 5 to 20 psi while trying to hold partial throttle on the highway. I mainly drive inside the city center so it is not that big of an issue for me but it can be annoying sometimes, although I always enjoy applying the cure, which is flooring it ;)

Would it be something doable for BR to ship a Haltech ECU with a 19T tune without me driving from China (of course financial arrangements to pay for the tune are possible)? It is not a priority but I still might be interested for a "canned tuned" haltech since we have the same set up and I don't know of any serious (and reliable) tuner here?

What is the reason (if not confidential) for not holding the 21 psi to 6500 thus getting the whp drop? Is it flow related or is it injector related, or does it come from somewhere else?
The drop in boost up top is flow related. We had the duty cycle cranked almost to max and its all we could manage. There could be other restrictions in the system (exhaust, intake, etc) that are contributing to this as well.

Regarding your inquiry about tuning your car in China. Please contact me directly via email to discuss. [email protected]

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Yep, it's basically all the turbo can do on my setup. I have a cheap intercooler, and my exhaust is 3 inch and catless all the way back to the stock muffler. Love the way it sounds for a daily.

Considering doing a axle back, better intercooler core, and a better exhaust manifold. But I'm still stock block, so that's a lot of money for small gains for now, until I do the block and bigger turbo. Might as well do it all at once and only do one trip. Have them put in their silver package block, and the direct replacement 500hp(crank) turbo.

·
2.0 MT - Shanghai
1,418 Posts
The drop in boost up top is flow related. We had the duty cycle cranked almost to max and its all we could manage. There could be other restrictions in the system (exhaust, intake, etc) that are contributing to this as well.

Regarding your inquiry about tuning your car in China. Please contact me directly via email to discuss. [email protected]

Thanks!
Thanks for the answer Tim. I sent you an email.

I guess that I went through the same kind of situation tonight. I made a new map for my CMD that was supposed to get me more boost in the upper revs but I hardly managed to get more than 20 psi... Physical restrictions I guess.

·
2.0 MT - Shanghai
1,418 Posts
Yep, it's basically all the turbo can do on my setup. I have a cheap intercooler, and my exhaust is 3 inch and catless all the way back to the stock muffler. Love the way it sounds for a daily.

Considering doing a axle back, better intercooler core, and a better exhaust manifold. But I'm still stock block, so that's a lot of money for small gains for now, until I do the block and bigger turbo. Might as well do it all at once and only do one trip. Have them put in their silver package block, and the direct replacement 500hp(crank) turbo.
Yep, I think your strategy is good. Thanks for the precisions.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Pop quiz time kiddies, does the haltech ditch the cruise ctrl or keep it? This is a pretty big deciding factor to moi.
It keeps your cruise, and you can set up the parameters of the cruise control anyway you want it. as in mph leway eitherside of target and throttle response stuff. pretty cool.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts