Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only time I really notice road noise in the coupe is when I'm driving on the highway. Sometimes I wish the cabin was quieter, because quiet cabins really give a car that luxury feel. I'm just curious but has anyone used any of that sound insulation material like dynamat in their car? Any results?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Im not sure exactly where I saw this.. but apparently there is no sound deadning material in the rear wheel wells of our cars. So by actually doing some sound deadning work on the rear wheel wells you can quiet down the cabin significantly

·
Registered
18 Posts
Add "/interior/28955-passenger-side-rear-noise.html" to the base URL of this site (sorry, not enough posts to include links). It appears some have tried with questionable results.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yes....

I paid to have professional sound-dampening done to my driver and passenger side doors, primarily to try to get better sound out of the factory "Premium sound" stereo. I'm not exactly sure what material they used, but they told me it was "professional grade stuff, with the same general concept as something like Dynamat".

The most immediately noticeable thing is that you can knock or tap on the outside door panels and they sound solid now. Before the work was done, you'd hear a hollow noise, just like you do when you tap on the fender in front of a door.

As far as road noise? I do think it's quieter, but it's not a "night and day" difference. I mean, you don't close my doors and drive off and hear dead silence or anything ... but there's an improvement.

It made a small improvement in the sound of the stereo too, BTW. Again, not a huge difference. In fact, it's small enough that when I first listened to the stereo at the shop when they were done, I was disappointed to not really hear much different. But as I spent more time driving and listening to my favorite songs I know well, yeah - it improves the mid-bass response a little bit.

I haven't tried putting any of it in the rear wheel well area, though I did use a tip from another forum member and put some under the rear deck, where the bass subwoofer is. (From the factory, they have a round hole punched out in the sheet metal, near the woofer, as well as a couple other misc. smaller holes.) By covering over the holes with some dynamat type material (or filling them with spray foam insulation, as was done in the original post), you get a little bit more efficiency out of the factory bass sub. Again, you won't net HUGE gains from something this simple - but it actually is noticeable and worth doing for the relatively low cost and ease of doing it!

The only time I really notice road noise in the coupe is when I'm driving on the highway. Sometimes I wish the cabin was quieter, because quiet cabins really give a car that luxury feel. I'm just curious but has anyone used any of that sound insulation material like dynamat in their car? Any results?

·
Midlife Crises Not Over!
409 Posts
:point::point::point:
yup that will do it!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Nah....

I even asked about that, and the installer said it adds about 3-5lbs. at the most. If you're worried about that small an amount, you may as well start driving without shoes and ejecting any CDs in the stereo to reduce weight too.....

extra weight = failsauce

I'll deal with the noise ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I honestly think the car is pretty quiet...:dunno: Maybe it's because i used to drive an integra gs-r and it was louder? I feel like people buying a car like this want to be able to hear a little engine rumble.

·
NDA 380GT
437 Posts
I even asked about that, and the installer said it adds about 3-5lbs. at the most. If you're worried about that small an amount, you may as well start driving without shoes and ejecting any CDs in the stereo to reduce weight too.....
3-5lbs of butyl rubber sound deadener would only cover the rear deck. To effectively deaden the entire rear would probably take about 40lbs, depending on the product used.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well...

I wasn't talking about doing the whole rear of the car.... I only had the front doors done, and that's what they estimated for those.

I think they may have actually used some spray-on type stuff instead of the adhesive padding (hence saying it was some "professional grade" alternative to things like Dynamat). But in any case, it seemed like people who tried to use it for the whole rear wheel well area to stop sound of splashing rain had no real luck with it anyway.

3-5lbs of butyl rubber sound deadener would only cover the rear deck. To effectively deaden the entire rear would probably take about 40lbs, depending on the product used.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts