Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,763 Posts
I'm going to try some bubble wrap under the rear deck and side panels. I think Trufast did this on the rear deck to eliminate rattles and there was also some sound deadening too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bumping an old thread, but Im just curious as to some of the noise reduction mods you guys have tried and your results.

What Ive done to my car so far is completely rip apart the interior as well as my door panels and applied deadening material throughout. I first deadened resonating metal pieces with a 60 mil butyl based material with an aluminum constraining layer. I then put on a few layers of jute based carpet underlay which, in my opinion, contributes significantly in being able to dampen noise. On top of that I added a rubber mat to act as a mass dampening layer. Finally, I stuffed my trunk lid and the rear quarter panels with pillow stuffing to reduce rear tire noise.

Other things I've also done were to put on a Dynamat Hoodliner underneath the hood. To be honest, this didn't seem to make much of a difference in engine noise. On my old vehicle, the difference that the Dynamat Hoodliner made was pretty noticeable...but on the Genny...nope.

I also undercoated the wheel wells with about 3mm of asphalt based undercoating and this made a very minimal difference in road noise.

With these mods, the Genesis is definitely MUCH more quiet. It feels like a completely new car and I was quite shocked at first. However, with these mods to quiet down road noise, now wind noise is very apparent. I'm wondering if anyone has strategies to combat the wind noise?
This is the truth. Dynamat alone won't cure everything. The combo of all three is what needs to be done. I have been doing step 2 and 3 in a couple places now. It is definitely quieter than stock.

Tires are probably the best change someone can make for the dollars spent.

·
Spy
1,302 Posts
Shark Racing

I put the rubber "Genesis Coupe" tray in the trunk and it def. helped out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What's the rubber Genesis Coupe tray?

Interesting...in the link above, they sell a fender deadener product. Just wondering if anyone has tried deadening inside the front fender and whether that made any difference?

·
Registered
223 Posts
What's the rubber Genesis Coupe tray?

Interesting...in the link above, they sell a fender deadener product. Just wondering if anyone has tried deadening inside the front fender and whether that made any difference?
If the weather is nice next Tuesday, I will be able to tell you that night ha. This has been on the list of things to try.

-Matt

·
Registered
223 Posts
does someone have a link to a site that sells car sound dampening material?
Sound Deadening Materials for Noise Reduction from Second Skin. This is some of the best stuff on the market. It is not the cheapest, but in terms of return for your dollar, you cannot beat it. You will do the job right the first time and not have to return to fix anything. I have been tempted to try cheaper products, eDead, but spent the extra money upfront instead of on the backend. Spending 2-3 times more time using multiple layers of other products just is not worth it to me. There is a reason those with experience say DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

-Matt

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sound Deadening Materials for Noise Reduction from Second Skin. This is some of the best stuff on the market. It is not the cheapest, but in terms of return for your dollar, you cannot beat it. You will do the job right the first time and not have to return to fix anything. I have been tempted to try cheaper products, eDead, but spent the extra money upfront instead of on the backend. Spending 2-3 times more time using multiple layers of other products just is not worth it to me. There is a reason those with experience say DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

-Matt
Ive dealt with the previous owner of that company and he is worthless hopefully the new owners makes everything right and stops stealing other peoples products and R&D

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

This will give you everything you need to know about the differences in deadening and noise reduction. Sound deadening doesn't stop airborne road noise it only deadens the vibrations on metal panels. You need a mass loaded vinyl with a foam barrier between the car metal and you to stop air born noise. Ive installed this numerous times on customers cars with incredible results. drops of up to 8-10db in interior noise at highway speeds. The problem is Mass loaded vinyl is heavy as its name suggest. Its about 1lb per square foot. When i did my Buick i used about 200 lbs over all car was dead quiet but the weight was noticeable. I wont be doing my GC lll take the sound over weight any day.

·
Projekt Soju
993 Posts
reviving this thread....BRAINS!!! i kid...i kid..

i installed my CP-e 50 motor mounts and im getting alot of noise from my engine bay throught the firewall, has anyone tried lining their firrwall on the cabin side to reduce the noise? im not sure if sound deading material could handle the heat if it was applied to the engine bay side of the firewall. if i could reduce that extra noise coming thru, id be sitting happy with everything else. please do let me know. thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
If it's motor mounts causing the noise, then it will be hard to attenuate since this is essentially a structurally transmitted noise and not airborne. Deadening the firewall with absorbent material may only make a small difference as the rest of the chassis will be resonating with the engine noise.

·
Projekt Soju
993 Posts
Yes but anything helps i guess. Just kinda spit balling here

·
Projekt Soju
993 Posts
Just clicked that second skin link and checked out that dampening pro material, its high temp and used for structureal vibration .....may give it a try

·
Registered
908 Posts
At the store, we buy from RBL, the parent company of Dynamat, bought a 36-square foot roll of the "generic" Dynapad for $62.00. Meanwhile 12-square feet of the same embossed with "Dynamat" all over it is $179.99.

Started with lining the trunk, it can be layered. Noticed a small reduction of road noise.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hey,
so i guess i'll throw in my two coins considering i just "dynamatted" my car a week ago. absolutely no noise in the rain! i know shocking! I made sure to cover the rear fender wells very well for that reason.
heres some pictures of the job. This got rid of a lot of noise on the highway... enough to whisper to your copilot. tested with a friend's years haha.

the main reason for this sound deadening was for better midbass response for my subwoofer and future cabin speakers. the results were much better than i expected.

12 in. x 15 ft. Duct Insulation-FV516 at The Home Depot
used this as a replacement to dynamat. poorman's dynamat. works maybe... 70% effective.. 90% cheaper.
i also used another thing called seal and repair from the roofing area in home depot. its not peal and seal. different material but its heavier and uses the same butyl material sound deadener;s use. so i gave it a try and threw it all over the rear fender wells on top of the duct insulation. i dont have apicture of after i did it... forgot to take.

also... this is was done for the speaker sounds but im pretty sure it made a big difference in eliminating road noise.

·
, SJ is the man
9 Posts
Nice! Thanks for taking the pics that looks pretty solid. How long did it take you and how much did you actually end up using.

·
Projekt Soju
993 Posts
is that last picture the rear deck?? very nice job indeed!
ima try doing this to my rear fenders, maybe the trunk and ima also try the firewall inside the cabin

·
Registered
311 Posts
is that last picture the rear deck?? very nice job indeed!
ima try doing this to my rear fenders, maybe the trunk and ima also try the firewall inside the cabin
Lizard skin makes a ceramic coating for high heat areas. I am installing the sound dampner in my car now. The stuff comes in 2 gallon buckets for 154, this covers 100 sq ft at .20 mils thick. I bought mine from Summit Racing.

LizardSkin Spray-On Insulation : Lizardskin

·
Registered
296 Posts
How long did it take you and how much did you actually end up using.
It took about 4-5 good man hours. just because i was exploring a bit. haha no, i was just trying not to hurt the car. which you should do as well. taking the car apart creates risk of creating new rattles.
I wish i took a picture of the finished product. it really looks beautiful. (kinda wanted to rice my car and keep it like that haha.)

I used about 3 and 1/2 rolls + 1/2 seal and repair = 120? too lazy to do math. I saved half the sealnrepair for the doors when i change the speakers and tint the windows... maybe ill do a diy on that later. but a DOUBLE WHAMMY! boom im balling. anyways, yes the last picture is the rear panels. one peice. comes off easy.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts