Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Proud new owner of a 13' Rspec Genesis here, glad to be part of the community! I've done a few performance and interior mods and am now looking to see what type of upgrades I can do to the car's audio. Has anyone here had experience installing floating headunits? Something similar to the Alpine Halo9 or the various android headunits that are on the market. According to crutchfield, none of the floating headunits they sell will fit the 2013+ models but given the measurements I don't see any reason to believe that they won't fit. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
define "floating"
They're head units with a screen size that goes beyond what normally fits in a double din stereo (usually 9 or 10 inch screens). The screen extends about an inch or 2 over the head unit hence the "floating" name.

·
Bill
561 Posts
nothing off the shelf.
custom, you can do anything.
somebody here did a nice custom fit tablet. search the interior or electrical section.

·
Premium Member
14,909 Posts
I can already tell you that it won't fit unless it's custom and even if it's custom, it's going to look strange.

Only way to if a 10" screen is to mount it in profile and the climate controls are going to have to be relocated else where.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I've seen the tablet installs and although they look good, that isn't really the route I'm looking to go. The unit I was looking at in particular was the alpine halo9. I did the measurements and width / height wise it wouldn't look bad, it can be adjusted up or down so in my case it would only cover the the preset station buttons at the bottom of the blue lcd which become useless anyways.

I guess I should rephrase my question. My main concern is the depth of the housing due to the ridges that run along the sides of the center console, so I was wondering if anyone had actually tried to mount one successfully without the side ridges getting in the way of mounting the screen properly.

This is the unit in question:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh that's right. Well if you can find a single-din kit for BK2 I guess it would work. Still would have an interesting look.
Yea, I'm still debating it lol. I mocked up an iPad roughly where I think it would go to see if would look odd and it doesn't seem that bad at all. Gives it a Tesla Model 3 vibe. It's not 100% though, i might just go the traditional route with a regular double din.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you really into the floating look or just looking for more realistate? If it's the latter then you might want to consider this an option.

https://workshoptwelve.com/genesis/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I actually looked into that myself before considering the floating display. I love the oem look so the workshop twelve mod seemed great at first. Unfortunately it just seems like too much work and too much money for what you're getting. Based off the other kits they sell, the kit will easily run around $500 not including the tablet or any wiring. On top of that, you lose all radio and bluetooth capabilities (as in you can no longer listen to fm radio or pair your phone for music streaming) so any music I'd like to listen to will be limited to an SD card, USB, or wifi streaming. Additionally, it's not uncommon for the inside car temps to reach 100+ where I live, so the chances of the tablet overheating and shutting off are pretty high. :crying:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve had enough coworkers install iPads and Samsungs in custom setups to advise against it - they’re all so terrible with heat if your car isn’t garage parked 100% of the time.
The floating head unit should work in principle but just so you know the radio presets you’d be covering aren’t necessarily useless - I installed my pioneer head unit with a maestro adapter and it lets you reprogram all of your steering wheel controls and those radio presets - I have mine set to video, guages, tire pressure/voltage, etc.
The absolute worst case scenario would be having to modify a mounting bracket to bring the floating head unit a fraction of an inch forward for clearance, which you can do at home with a Dremel, but it looks to me like it should fit. Nothing wrong with you being the first, just means you need to post pics. I would definitely look into adding a maestro though just because it will retain all those controls, even if you just use the steering wheel options but you can set them to whatever functions you like. Can pick one up for about $100 on amazon, bought mine on crutchfield before I saw that for $150

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually looked into that myself before considering the floating display. I love the oem look so the workshop twelve mod seemed great at first. Unfortunately it just seems like too much work and too much money for what you're getting. Based off the other kits they sell, the kit will easily run around $500 not including the tablet or any wiring. On top of that, you lose all radio and bluetooth capabilities (as in you can no longer listen to fm radio or pair your phone for music streaming) so any music I'd like to listen to will be limited to an SD card, USB, or wifi streaming. Additionally, it's not uncommon for the inside car temps to reach 100+ where I live, so the chances of the tablet overheating and shutting off are pretty high. :crying:
Yeah, the heat exposure would absolutely destroy the battery. Have fun replacing the tablet once a year, or replacing the car when the battery pops and burns it down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the feedback guys, yeah a custom tablet mount was never really an option for me. Like I said in my previous post, you lose too much for what you're paying and the overheating risks are too high. Atm I'm saving up for the new head unit so I'm still looking at all the options. Currently my options are the Alpine Halo9 series, Sony xav-ax8000, or a traditional double din (android headunits are out of the question for me unless I can find a manufacturer who regularly updates the OS). If I go the maestro route my only options are the halo9 or the double din. I'll keep you guys posted if I end up going with the floating head unit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts