Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So cylinder 5 has 80psi, and a shop said it's the valves. I have 87k on the odometer and I'm thinking about doing the timing chain at the same time. Should I go ahead and do it? If so, should I also get new cam and crank sprockets for it as well?

I'm trying to compile a list of parts and tools as this is my first time doing any repairs this involved, so I want to see if I have everything I need:

• Valve cover gaskets
  • Head gasket(s)
  • Head studs or head bolts
  • Valve stem seals
  • Intake gasket?
  • New valves(of course)
  • Lapping compound and valve lapping tool
  • Valve bucket set?

So firstly, let me know if I'm missing any parts. Secondly, should I get head studs or just head bolts? What's the purpose of studs instead of bolts? And can I reuse my current intake gasket? Because I can hear a leak in the intake but I'm not sure where it's coming from, I need to find out. Do I also need to set the clearance for the valve buckets again? Or can I get away with just putting each bucket back where it came from?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Add a catch can. The GDI doesn't allow gasoline to wash the PCV oil off the intake valves, and it ends up coking on until the valve doesn't seat right anymore. A catch can will help separate this oil mist out before it gets a chance to bake onto the back of the valves. I don't have answers for the actual questions you had, just the cause of it.

edit: did not realize how bad a necro this was :(

·
Sleeper!
866 Posts
So sounds like they did a compression check but did they run a leak down test as well to confirm it's the valves or valve seals. As far as the amount of parts if you are going to be digging into it would highly recommend replacing pretty much everything you are going to be removing to include everything you have mentioned on your list. You will also want exhaust manifold gaskets, water pump gasket, timing cover gaskets, front main seal, timing chains, timing chain tensioners, timing chain guides, timing chain tensioner guides, oil pump, oil pump chain, oil pump chain tensioner to add to the list. If you are needing any of those parts definitely let me know as I stock everything and handle a lot of the engine builds as well.

You can buy new factory OEM head bolts if you don't plan on trying to build the motor later on or if you don't plan on possibly removing the heads any time soon again but if you do, then you would definitely want to get some head studs as they are reusable and are going to have an overall better clamping force then the factory TTY Head Bolts. You can reuse your intake gasket but with that amount of miles I would say better safe then sorry to go ahead and replace it. You will definitely want to check clearances and I can say 1000% without a doubt you are going to need to get new buckets to bring everything back into a decent spec.

Reactions: bryanb
1 - 3 of 3 Posts