Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's up, guys?! Been a while since I've posted anything useful. I've been busy trying to fine tune, tweak and test various changes to maximize FBO gains, but I've hit a road block. Last dyno was 321/279 officially, but if you account for the 3.91 gears, it's 333/306 unofficially.

Anyway, I'm still on the road to having an official dyno sheet of over 330/300 but with the 3.91 gears that isn't going to happen with just FBO. So, it's time to move beyond.

My new project will be to build the heads which I know will do the trick. I just picked these bad boys up from MT Motorsports

The goal is to port & polish the heads, install larger exhaust valves and lighten the valve train to get maximum gains possible. This will take some time and I'm planning to document as much as I can as I go. I just got these yesterday, so only spent a few minutes looking at them but I've already found some concerning issues and I can't wait to dive in and get these things ported.

The head itself is designed fairly well which means less work to do, but it just has problems with finish.

I'll be porting these myself and then having a machine shop deck them, and do a full radius valve job.

If you didn't already know, I have been porting intake manifolds and throttle bodies for a while. My packages have proven gains without tuning and have resulted in excellent numbers with a custom tune. You can PM me, or find me on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/3point8GenesisCoupe/

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spent a little bit of time today. Only did the left side head. Started by cleaning off the flashing both on the outside and the inside of the head.

White arrows show where some of the flashing is on the inside. There was also a lot in the areas where the head bolts go.

This was on the outside of the head. This has nothing to do with performance, but the flashing is brittle and can easily snap off and destroy things, so it's best to get it all out of there.

I cleaned up the oil and coolant passages. They were pretty rough, most had serious lips on them.

So I just shaved the lip off, but you can see how misshaped the passages are.

This was after removing the lip. This poorly shaped passage looks like I messed it up, but this is how it was made. The material is pretty thick on the walls, so fixing the shape was difficult.

Then I cleaned up the exhaust ports to get a better look at them.

Slag on the exhaust bowls

Slag on the intake bowls and also really rough casting marks.

The area under the seat has a massive lip on the exhaust ports.

The roof of the exhaust ports. Just look at that crap. That's not caked on carbon, that's aluminum.

I did a quick first pass on the bowls to clean up the rough casting and see what was left. Lot of that ledge was smoothed out and the transition from the bowl to the runner floor went from a wedge to a smooth radius.

Still a lot more work to do though.

Reactions: ekuapa

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today I did a second pass on the exhaust bowls. Tried to clean up as much of the casting marks as possible without removing material, but it's not going to happen. Also smoothed out the floor transition, it was still a little blocky from the first pass.

Shaped it with the 80 grit flapper, then cleaned it up with a 180 grit coarse buffer to get an idea of where the rough areas were, then went back in with a 120 grit flapper. Once I get the runners where I want them, I'll go back with the 180 grit buffer, then hit the bowls and runners with 320 grit, then a 380 grit buffer wheel and then finally polish with black polishing compound followed by the white compound.

Did the first pass on the exhaust runners.

Casting is pretty rough, so won't be able to get it all nice and perfect without removing more material than I really want to, but it's smooth to the touch and my pick doesn't catch much. I'll see what happens on the second pass.

Pretty happy with how it's going so far.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did a little bit on the intake ports. This is a rough first pass. Not terribly happy with the result. It's a lot harder to get in there and work the areas i need to even though the bowls and runners are larger, the areas I need to reach are tighter due to the shaping.

Intake ports before. You can see it's the opposite of the exhaust port where the lip is. This time it's caused by the seat going into the casting instead of the the seat causing the lip. Oddly the lip is significantly worse on the left side of the bowl than it is on the right side.

Not the greatest pic, but you can see where I was working. I'm debating on why the dip was cut into the casting (tooling/casting issue, swirl induction or an attempt to taper into the seat for smoother transition), so tried to not flatten it out, just reduce the edges for now.

This was with 80 grit sanding drum. Still have a lot of work to do.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
So far so good. You have access to a flow bench to keep it all even?

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far so good. You have access to a flow bench to keep it all even?
thanks.

SoCal porting might be able to flow bench these for me, but I know they no longer have access to a superflow 600, so not sure. I'm not terribly worried about it since all I'm doing is cleaning up the casting problems and not really reshaping anything. Once I'm done with the porting, I'll start working on the next steps. Finding time to spend on the heads is hard right now though, so it's one step at a time kind of thing.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
I've been out to SoCal Porting. That dude is pretty cool. You could take it to Port Flow in Harbor City. I'll gladly ride shotgun to see the results. I also have a spare set of stock BK1 heads for comparison purposes. P.S. We really should meet up one of these days. Same hood and similar strategy... Just a though and likely excuse for beer.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been out to SoCal Porting. That dude is pretty cool. You could take it to Port Flow in Harbor City. I'll gladly ride shotgun to see the results. I also have a spare set of stock BK1 heads for comparison purposes. P.S. We really should meet up one of these days. Same hood and similar strategy... Just a though and likely excuse for beer.
We can make that happen. I'll PM you.

·
Premium Member
16,121 Posts
It's things like this that make me sad (oem casting condition)

Like not even 5 minutes of cleaning the cores before casting, makes a world of difference.

Pretty much all engine manufacturers use the same process for engine/head casting. Most of them know that just a little extra time cleaning up before casting means a lot less time machining after.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts