Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m looking into headers, I’m currently running 2nd Cat and muffler delete straight pipe. I have 2 questions:
1.what headers do you believe will be best for the 3.8? (It’s an Auto too by the way.)
2. Would you recommend running headers and straight pipe or installing a cat back and run Headers?

·
Registered
972 Posts
The whole purpose of the aftermarket headers is to increase flow. If like most you live in an emissions state, and or you have CATS this makes any aftermarkets next to immaterial. Now they will change the note some, but if you are NA, they in and of themselves are a very expensive way to do very little.

Now if you are boosted they make all the difference in the world. The absolute best headers for the Gens BK1 or BK2 are made by T.kits .com. These things have more than twice the flow of oem headers. Drop the CATs and you have a mean ass potent measure to make immense POWA. **(turbo).

The standard Tkits.com kit with a 6266 turbo will make 525 at the crank, with most MT's dyno ing at 440 ish. Most ATs are 420 ish at 7.5 psi.

My install included the custom headers with burns collectors. My 8AT dyno'd at 475 whp. That is the difference. (And other stuff too.)

**So the lesson is for a NA headers (ARK makes the best for this application). are very expensive. It will makes you louder, but not faster.

This is what a headers/turbo/ NOCATS of any kind,...no resonators, but TOMEI titanium exhaust sounds like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The whole purpose of the aftermarket headers is to increase flow. If like most you live in an emissions state, and or you have CATS this makes any aftermarkets next to immaterial. Now they will change the note some, but if you are NA, they in and of themselves are a very expensive way to do very little.

Now if you are boosted they make all the difference in the world. The absolute best headers for the Gens BK1 or BK2 are made by T.kits .com. These things have more than twice the flow of oem headers. Drop the CATs and you have a mean ass potent measure to make immense POWA. **(turbo).

The standard Tkits.com kit with a 6266 turbo will make 525 at the crank, with most MT's dyno ing at 440 ish. Most ATs are 420 ish at 7.5 psi.

My install included the custom headers with burns collectors. My 8AT dyno'd at 475 whp. That is the difference. (And other stuff too.)

**So the lesson is for a NA headers (ARK makes the best for this application). are very expensive. It will makes you louder, but not faster.

This is what a headers/turbo/ NOCATS of any kind,...no resonators, but TOMEI titanium exhaust sounds like.
Was that a custom made tomei? Because they don’t sell single exit tomei for the 3.8s!

·
Registered
972 Posts
This is how its done:

1. Buy the Y pipe only section from ISR racing for their single exit race exhaust for the 3.8. You might have to bitch at them, and convince them that it does fit. Well Im here to tell you that it is perfect. All the flanges and bolts lineup perfectly.
2. Buy the Tomei exhaust for the 2.0T.
3. Install the Y pipe.
4. Install the Tomei from the back of the car forward. Save the final piece. Shadow its install and mark for the proper lengths.
5. Make the cuts, 2 of them to mate the single tube.
6. Loosely attach the rear most section to the springloaded clamps. Mate the second tube section with the flange. Rotate the flange to match the Y-pipe. Mark it with permanent marker.
7. Take your 2 pieces rotationaly marked to your expert welder who can weld titanium. It will take him 5 minutes to do this.

***Find someone to do this before you order. You might be surprised how few welders can actually weld titanium.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts