Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After buying my used GC, I noticed that there was moisture in both of the healdlights and one of the tail lights. I made appointment with hyundai dealer service center to get it checked out this wednesday.

So I decided to knowledge myself a bit so that I dont get cheated out on the service day and noticed that a lot of people seem to have same problem. Quite shocking as people are saying that they never had the problem with their previous cars and yet GC is causing the problem. It is okay for it to be wet sometimes but not often or even all the time. The moisture is suppose to go away after turning on the lights for 5-10 mins, if it doesn't then there's a problem. Looking around, I also found out that the warranty does not cover the replacement of the head/tail lights.

How should I approach the service center about this issue? Should I just pay straight up (if they ask since I've read about it being not covered under warranty)?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I took mine in a month ago for my taillight...they replaced it for me under warranty.
When I went in to get it replaced I told them the headlights had been like that as well 4 days after a little rain (took pictures), but didn't bother replacing them. If it happens over summer I will. Some moisture is going to happen but mine were worse than I have had on other vehicles

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took mine in a month ago for my taillight...they replaced it for me under warranty.
When I went in to get it replaced I told them the headlights had been like that as well 4 days after a little rain (took pictures), but didn't bother replacing them. If it happens over summer I will. Some moisture is going to happen but mine were worse than I have had on other vehicles
Ahh, so it is replaceable under warranty. Luckily I bought mine CPO and is still under warranty. I'll keep that in mind. Also, would bringing picture do any help? I have pictures from the day after I bought it, last wednesday, and today.

·
My mistress is a GC!!
1,053 Posts
I saw a bit of condensation inside one of the tail lights when picking up the car from the dealership and I remembered the saleswoman who said if it persisted bring it to service to look at it. Well it has been over a year and I never saw or at least have yet to see it happened agaiin. Weird or not?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw a bit of condensation inside one of the tail lights when picking up the car from the dealership and I remembered the saleswoman who said if it persisted bring it to service to look at it. Well it has been over a year and I never saw or at least have yet to see it happened agaiin. Weird or not?
I never saw it in my previous car or in my parent's cars but I never doubted it would never happen. Something about summer and winter temperature affecting the elasticity of the metal which can open up a bit and cause water to enter when it rains. I also read something about vents in the headlight where water can potentially enter but will dry out when the car starts and dry air is blown through the vent. However, mine stayed everyday since I purchased the car which I find it abnormal. It became daily routine to check being getting in my car now.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Its fairly common. My tail lights dont get it but my headlights get a very small amount if its really cold out.

·
Registered
638 Posts
It may be common, but its not normal, and is caused by a bad seal. Either the housing itself, or the seal of the bulb. Don't just accept it if you still have warranty coverage....

·
2010 3.8 Std Trans
186 Posts
When I reinstalled my tail lights I looked down. There was a decent gap between the black plastic thing that channels water down from the truck area to the ground. What I think is happening is more water than the expected is making it to the seal and overwhelming it. I put some 3m tape to seal that "hole" and have had zero problems since. I saw someone else using another type of rubber seal in the same place and it worked for them. Look at how the water travels down the back window, around the trunk, and over the light on its way to the ground. See if you have the same gaps at the taillight and the butt end of the car.

·
Exceptionally Ordinary
612 Posts
Was at a meet yesterday, mine out of all the other Gens in the super hard rain were the only ones that had it.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
My 2010 had it as well. Didnt really bother me. However when I traded in the car and was cleaning out the trunk I found a massive puddle of water that had been accumilating in the passenger side well underneath the carpet and the plastic tool kit holder. It was old rusty water. I assume it leaked in through the headlight and just got caught in that little pocket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts