Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a helmet. Any recommendation for type or where to purchase? Things to be aware of?

I'm currently just autoxing but would like to do some HPDE this summer as well. Is there a particular SA rating that I need?

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I forget what HJC I have b/c its not in front of me..anyways get one with built in air vents that you can open and close and most importantly get one with a built in shade that closes when you slide the switch on the top

This way you don't have to wear shades..and if you wear glasses you have a built in shade..trust me you will use that shade constantly

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a helmet. Any recommendation for type or where to purchase? Things to be aware of?

I'm currently just autoxing but would like to do some HPDE this summer as well. Is there a particular SA rating that I need?
Go here for starters.
Home
Make sure you buy the latest/newest rating. Most racing orgs have snell requirements so good luck. A good helmet is not cheap but remember what its protecting. Also there is a difference between motorcycle and auto helmets.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts

There is usually a Discovery Parts tractor trailor at most HPDE events for NASA that has relatively good price & extra 10% discount for NASA members. I picked up a nice Bell with both certifications for like $100 maybe a little more.

·
her name is Miranda ;)
1,191 Posts
I think all you need is Snell M2005 or SA2005 and you'll be fine. Any standard before 2005 might run afoul with autocross rules.
2008 SCCA National Rules said:
Helmets meeting the following standards must be worn while on course: All helmets meeting the current or two immediately preceding Snell Foundation standards (SA, K, or M), or SFI standards 31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, or 41.2A are acceptable.
I'm looking for my first helmet too, and probably going to go with the Pyrotect Sportsman Open Face M2005. It's the cheapest one I can find. Unfortunately, I'm looking at some online stores with less-than-impressive sites...hopefully they don't suck. I'll probably go with whichever store has lower shipping cost. If shipping is equal, then I will go with the 1st website below because it uses HTTPS (safer, encrypted browsing) in the URL.

https://www.upscaleautomotive.com/p...n-m-series-open-face-racing-helmet-black.aspx
Pyrotect Sportsman Open Face M2005 Solid Helmets - Extreme Supply

Hefley (another forum member) got an open face helmet for autox from HelmetCity.com at ~$100, but I had no luck finding any at that price.

edit: I just realized that since the M2005 standard is accepted, then you should be allowed to buy a motorcycle helmet. I've only been looking at auto racing helmets. This should really open up our options.

Also, I found some good leads at helmetcity.com: http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/CTGY/autosnellm
$86 + free 2-day shipping = win!

·
Sex Machine
1,514 Posts
I have a Zox helmet and what u want is this stamp on the back of the helmet. If u have one of these stamps, ur helmet is good for any event.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Take a look at the other helmet thread our here.

http://www.gencoupe.com/amateur-motorsports/61546-snell-2010-helmets.html

I have a Zox helmet and what u want is this stamp on the back of the helmet. If u have one of these stamps, ur helmet is good for any event.
Consider a lot of organizations for track days are no longer accepting M or DOT helmets. Our liability carrier says only SA rated helmets. In fact the helmets have to be the two most current ratings, SA2005 or SA2010.

Feff

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine was first. :p

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts