Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2013 Hyundai Genesis coupe 3.8L v6 6mt with 21k miles, track edition. So i just got out of work and I showed my friends some donuts, didn’t go for crazy long. When I stopped, there was a weird squeaky and ticking sound, almost like a belt. I turned my car off, gave it a bit, turned it back on and it was still there. I drove home, the car sounded a little weird driving it was hard to notice. When I got home, I let it idle and the sound turned into a louder tap/knock, and when I reved it in neutral it made a very weird undescribable noise. I drove it around the block once and it was making weird ticking noises all the way until I got home and turned it off. I’m so worried if I broke something doing donuts, or if it’s just natural. I have been switching between 91 and 93 octane, due to gas station location, and I checked my oil and it was a little below half. If anyone can help, that would mean the world.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found out today the engine is seized. Does anyone think Hyundai will give me a new engine for free? I’m transferring my warranty to see if that still works with it. If someone has been in the same situation with warranty and all and could help that would be amazing. Thanks guys

·
Irresponsible Rookie
72 Posts
Sometimes these engines can suffer from oil starvation from high G forces to the side, due to the OEM oil pan design (which is 3point8 Performance makes a baffled oil pan).
So a couple donuts shouldn't have caused oil starvation. But if you were ripping it for 15 minutes straight, that could have been what caused the problem.

The oil was half of the engine capacity? Or dipstick? If you mean dipstick it should have been okay. If it was half the engines capacity, that would be the problem.

Either way, that really sucks. Sorry about your situation. If your dealer doesn't cover it, you probably want to check online at car-part for a replacement engine. And learn how to replace a motor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, and I only did 3 full donuts then stopped. The engine oil was about a quarter inch below half on the dipstick. I’m getting the engine replaced, not sure about free yet, but I don’t think I’ll ever do a donut again😂still curious as to why this happend...

·
Irresponsible Rookie
72 Posts
I would imagine it had issues previously. Doing 3 donuts shouldn't kill an engine like that.
Good luck with the dealer!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I appreciate it. We made a case with corporate Hyundai and now Hyundai is moving faster, they picked up my car a week earlier than they said. We also made a post on Facebook so that if they leave us in the dust they won’t have the best feedback from their customers. But overall thankful I’m most likely not the reason to this!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do. As of right now it’s sitting at the dealership and I’m dying to know anything.... worked so hard for this car for it only to seize up on me. Was My dream car..

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you knew that your car has a single 5/8 piece of class 8 steel holding the rear differentials single back facing bushing on its tail end you would not do what you did. Let alone subject the motor to that.

Drifting cars have substantial re-enforcements along with significant engine modifications. Enjoy your car, but dont be a dick,..and then ask for help.

If you luck out and H gives you a motor, consider yourself a fool that got lucky.........................

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you’re telling me my engine seized because of the 3 donuts destroyed a piece of steel holding my differential...? That doesn’t make sense man 😂

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me add, not at redline also. Don’t try to make it seem like I was subjecting the motor to a 15 minute beating... was 20 seconds buddy boy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you knew that your car has a single 5/8 piece of class 8 steel holding the rear differentials single back facing bushing on its tail end you would not do what you did. Let alone subject the motor to that.

Drifting cars have substantial re-enforcements along with significant engine modifications. Enjoy your car, but dont be a dick,..and then ask for help.

If you luck out and H gives you a motor, consider yourself a fool that got lucky.........................
^^^^^^^

·
Irresponsible Rookie
72 Posts
Gaijinn has a decent point, the 4th diff mount mod would be beneficial to do, as well as a transmission mount (both easy). But the diff mount wouldn't have caused the engine to seize up.

And who ISN'T gonna go whip some shittys when they get their dream sports car?
Enjoy it. But also be smart.

·
Premium Member
14,908 Posts
So you’re telling me my engine seized because of the 3 donuts destroyed a piece of steel holding my differential...? That doesn’t make sense man 😂
Oil at half mark, doing donuts... possible oil starvation.

oil pan/sump is towards the front of the engine. Doing donuts will make the oil go to the rear outside of the latter frame, the furthest point of the bottom of the engine, and the furthest point of the oil pickup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oil at half mark, doing donuts... possible oil starvation.

oil pan/sump is towards the front of the engine. Doing donuts will make the oil go to the rear outside of the latter frame, the furthest point of the bottom of the engine, and the furthest point of the oil pickup.
Having half of the oil typically won’t do that, and also that usually occurs at high rates of speeds for long times. Not ruling it out completely, but there’s a small chance that’s what caused it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
There used to be a problem like that with KTM motorcycles, (LC640 motor) the thing was a wheelie monster but if you held it up too far for too long the oil pickup couls suck air. Still you would think with a RWD sports oriented 348 HP car, Hyundai would have thrown on a baffeled pan or modified oil pick up. I hope you get a nice new free motor and get back on the road soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There used to be a problem like that with KTM motorcycles, (LC640 motor) the thing was a wheelie monster but if you held it up too far for too long the oil pickup couls suck air. Still you would think with a RWD sports oriented 348 HP car, Hyundai would have thrown on a baffeled pan or modified oil pick up. I hope you get a nice new free motor and get back on the road soon.
That’s not the problem, the Hyundai mechanic diagnosed the car today and it seized due metal in the oil

·
Registered
798 Posts
The point of the diff mount wasnt the "seizing". Even if our motors were like 2Jz's, I'm merely pointing out that they arent made out of the gate for heavy duty use is all. Yes thirty seconds is well enough to do it, your action showed it. Your previous owner probably didnt do due diligence, your redline stuff for thirty seconds kicked up enough "crap" to cause your failure. "Buddy-Boy"!!! LOL............................

Dont get me wrong, our cars have a real good motor,...but its not bullet proof. Hey admit it, you had a lapse in judgement, and it cost you. Period. Not Hyundais fault or omission, or the motor sucks....Sounds like they are taking care of you,...no American car company woud do that would they ?

**My ride is CERMA treated,....impervious to cold start wear or oil starvation at any speed or temp.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Differential has nothing to do with your engine and perfectly strong for all.power you can get NA.
You were a bit low on oil and at high rpms oil pan gets depleted quite a bit, combine it with forces turning - few seconds of oil starvation .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts