Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On factory tires (bridgestones) when i bought the car i had no shake, put on hakapalita 8's for winter with no shake but a road faint waffle sound, but no shake at 60-75. Come spring I put my bridgestones back on and had shake, had an alignment done because my steering while was cockide, after that had to get a balance again which fixed most of the shake but it was there at 35/60/75 but vanished at around 90.

Moving forward I just bought General gmax ac-02's for my car, first day on and they shook the whole car and steering wheel. Took them to another place the next day and balanced them and the dealer tested it fine but once i it the road i had vibration from 60 up to 70 then wheel shake from there on out. Took them to back to the shop that put the tires on and they re-balanced the back and that took away the car shake but the vibration in the steering wheel and shake was still there.

Too them to another shop and they force balanced them on a hunter 9700. Took it out to the road and it shook at 60 on up through 70 and was noticeable.

Took it to another tire shop and found the front right was out of round on the face. Talked to tire rack and had them warranty the 2 fronts under the 45 day return plan. Went back to the road force shop and they balanced them fine and they looked perfect.

Car feels fine up till 60 and then shakes from there and gets worse throught 75 and on up. At 85-90 the vibration/shake speeds up enough that i can't really tell if its road vibration or tires but it takes that fast to get it to not be evident in the steering wheel.

TLDR: 60-75+ plus steering wheel shake and its happened through 3 sets of tires, 1 old, and 2 new.

I need help or im trading this car off.

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
What were the road force numbers? anything over 20lbs could be noticeable. Also are you certain you don't have one or multiple bent wheels? To where the road force wasn't fixable? How many miles are on the vehicle and is it possible that a severe bump hit may have bent a wheel or damaged a wheel bearing?

·
140 Posts
How bad was the steering wheel turned before the alignment? Maybe something was bent or something is loose...
Do you have spacers?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly I don't even know if the guys did a correct road force balance, but after getting the second set of new front tires put on all that was left is what feels like chatter in the front steering with a unchanged shake which is likely the pinion seal in need of replacement since there is zero chance through 3 sets of tires within a week that the same amount of shake stays. The overall vibration that has become more apparent in the car to the point that the car feels like a vibrator no matter what surface you touch is due to what I think is the propeller shaft going out. The vibration is noticeable all the way through now, pretty noticeable at 40-50 slightly tapers at 60 is more evident at 75, but remains throughout till about 100mph at which point most vibrations just disappear because your going so fast. No tire change i've ever had on any vehicle could produce a vibration like this so I know its not the wheels, since all wheels would need to be off to cause something like this. Not only this but i've now noticed the growl that resonates with the vibration coming from the back which tapers off on let off but gets great and steady with acceleration.

What I do believe to be the case and tomorrow i will find out from the dealership is that this new set of tires and the balances made the existing issues more apparent and i think both a steering issue and a drive shaft assembly are the more likely causes and have been all along.

Now of course after 6 balances and 2 tire changes there is always the possibility of a bent rim, and that will be ruled out by a rim swap from a same car on the lot. But that bent rim is not going to cause steering wheel chatter while turning from a dead stop, and if a front rim was bent or out of round, the wobble would be worse and the whole car wouldn't resonate equally. And i've been down the warped rotor road before so its definitely not that. Christ would that be a suck to fix.. brembo... what a great concept on zero balancing the wallet in the name of better braking.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,412 Posts
Wheel bearings are damaged by potholes and railroad tracks. They may not be audible until they are in horrible shape.

I've had two on two other cars and neither made the wheel shake though.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
factory wheels? if not get a set of hub centric rings

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had this issue since i bought by car 2.5 years ago. Had it with the stock wheels, aftermarket wheels, and 3 sets of different tires. I had my rotors and pads replaced yesterday and the vibration is gone. I can't explain how happy i am. I've been looking at this car as a piece of **** and regretting buying it every day. Not now though. I'm guessing it was a warped rotor? I don't know, i'm just glad it's finally fixed.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Wheel shake

Can and will occur for so many possible reasons.

Most of the time it is tire or wheel related.
If one has oem wheels that have been damaged it will always be there.
Certain brands of lower cost tires have bad reputations for shake at certain speeds.
A trip to a service department with techs that just hammer away with their impact guns can and do over torque wheel lugs unevenly which also can cause the above.

As certain brands wear, you get noise/shake at differing speeds.

Enter the brake system.
Warped rotors etc.
I know everyone out their with any kind of aluminum wheel has had snow/mud attach and cause vibration. Its annoying as ****.

Now we start talking about wheel bearings, worn or damaged tie rods, suspension parts. Oh its endless my bro's.

·
Premium Member
14,986 Posts
if its wheel bearings it easy to fix.
take off the wheels, move the brakes and rotors, unplug the sensor, and just take off the 4 bolts from the back side. reverse process with new hubs.

Are these factory wheels that are having the issue? if not, then you might need to get a set of hub centric rings

·
Registered
2 Posts
On factory tires (bridgestones) when i bought the car i had no shake, put on hakapalita 8's for winter with no shake but a road faint waffle sound, but no shake at 60-75. Come spring I put my bridgestones back on and had shake, had an alignment done because my steering while was cockide, after that had to get a balance again which fixed most of the shake but it was there at 35/60/75 but vanished at around 90.

Moving forward I just bought General gmax ac-02's for my car, first day on and they shook the whole car and steering wheel. Took them to another place the next day and balanced them and the dealer tested it fine but once i it the road i had vibration from 60 up to 70 then wheel shake from there on out. Took them to back to the shop that put the tires on and they re-balanced the back and that took away the car shake but the vibration in the steering wheel and shake was still there.

Too them to another shop and they force balanced them on a hunter 9700. Took it out to the road and it shook at 60 on up through 70 and was noticeable.

Took it to another tire shop and found the front right was out of round on the face. Talked to tire rack and had them warranty the 2 fronts under the 45 day return plan. Went back to the road force shop and they balanced them fine and they looked perfect.

Car feels fine up till 60 and then shakes from there and gets worse throught 75 and on up. At 85-90 the vibration/shake speeds up enough that i can't really tell if its road vibration or tires but it takes that fast to get it to not be evident in the steering wheel.

TLDR: 60-75+ plus steering wheel shake and its happened through 3 sets of tires, 1 old, and 2 new.

I need help or im trading this car off.
Check your flex disk

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2013 had severe vibration from low speed to highway speed. Checked the flex disk and saw that it was cracked. Bought aftermarket at auto zone fir $300 and a private mechanic replaced it for $70. No more vibration!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts