Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am here because i desperatly need help. I purchased a 2011 Veracruz with the 3.8V6 engine. The engine is bad so i took it apart. One connecting rod and bearing were worn. When i took the crankshaft to have it upsized the guy told me that there is a bend in the crankshaft. That's where the problem starts. I looked on different sites and it was shure i needed the 622R63CA00. It does not fit. Called my local dealer and he said i need the 231103C720 or better yet 231103C720A because that is a upgraded part. Purchased that one. Does not fit either. The sizes are different. The main bearing on mine has a 25mm gap. The 231103C720A has a 20mm gap. I need help finding the right crankshaft. In the picture i have put the measures of my crankshaft.

My vin is KMHNU81CDBU159493.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,457 Posts
On the side of the engine block, there should be an engine designation.

According to Wiki, the 2011 veracruz came with a G6DA Lambda 1 engine... But it's wiki, so who know's how accurate that is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the side of the engine block, there should be an engine designation.

According to Wiki, the 2011 veracruz came with a G6DA Lambda 1 engine... But it's wiki, so who know's how accurate that is.
The engine is indeed a G6DA. It is used in different Kia and Hyundai models. Some are put in lenght or transverse with 2wd and 4wd and manual or automatic. There are a lot of crankshafts used. I think that i know now what my problem is. I purchased a second hand 231103C720A which is not a 231103C720A. The car it came off, i got the vin, never had that crankshaft fitted. I still need the 231103C720A i think

·
Premium Member
15,457 Posts
I think the reason why there are multiple crankshafts for the same is not all cranks shafts are exactly the same.
What I mean is, in mas production, they can't guarantee that the clearances will be the same, that is the reason why they have different size bearings.
But about a 5 mm difference is excessive.

Are you comparing between the original crank with the new crank with measuring calipers, or new crank with the block.
If measuring with the block, make sure the old bearings are in there when measuring the bore (even though the bearings are damaged)

Not sure on the Lambda 1 engines, but on the Theta engines (the 2.0T engine) there are a series of number/letters stamped somewhere on the block.
These are the main journal clearances for the block itself.
On the nose of the crank (where the crank pulley goes) there should be a series of number/letters as well for the same for the crank.
This doesn't mean you have to make the numbers/letters for the crank to the block.

A service/rebuild manual should have a list of what these mean.
The crank will have more because it also have numbers/letters for the connecting rod journal clearances.

Try to find a manual that has these to find out the clearances in a chart to decode. It should have a chart to decode what bearings you will need to use between the crank and the block. (you're going to have to do some math)
IIRC, (at least for the Theta engine) the bearings are designated by color.

Not sure if that made any sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is that when i look on some Hyundai sites they say that i need the 622(63CA00). I purchased that one but it does not fit. If i enter my vin in partsouq it says i need the 624(36CA00) since my car is after 05/10. Before 05/10 it gets the 622. The 624(36CA00) should be another number for 231103C720. The 231103C720A is a newer model of the 231103C720. Can you see on the number on the picture which crank i have?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am here because i desperatly need help. I purchased a 2011 Veracruz with the 3.8V6 engine. The engine is bad so i took it apart. One connecting rod and bearing were worn. When i took the crankshaft to have it upsized the guy told me that there is a bend in the crankshaft. That's where the problem starts. I looked on different sites and it was shure i needed the 622R63CA00. It does not fit. Called my local dealer and he said i need the 231103C720 or better yet 231103C720A because that is a upgraded part. Purchased that one. Does not fit either. The sizes are different. The main bearing on mine has a 25mm gap. The 231103C720A has a 20mm gap. I need help finding the right crankshaft. In the picture i have put the measures of my crankshaft.
View attachment 76562
My vin is KMHNU81CDBU159493.
I think the reason why there are multiple crankshafts for the same is not all cranks shafts are exactly the same.
What I mean is, in mas production, they can't guarantee that the clearances will be the same, that is the reason why they have different size bearings.
But about a 5 mm difference is excessive.

Are you comparing between the original crank with the new crank with measuring calipers, or new crank with the block.
If measuring with the block, make sure the old bearings are in there when measuring the bore (even though the bearings are damaged)

Not sure on the Lambda 1 engines, but on the Theta engines (the 2.0T engine) there are a series of number/letters stamped somewhere on the block.
These are the main journal clearances for the block itself.
On the nose of the crank (where the crank pulley goes) there should be a series of number/letters as well for the same for the crank.
This doesn't mean you have to make the numbers/letters for the crank to the block.

A service/rebuild manual should have a list of what these mean.
The crank will have more because it also have numbers/letters for the connecting rod journal clearances.

Try to find a manual that has these to find out the clearances in a chart to decode. It should have a chart to decode what bearings you will need to use between the crank and the block. (you're going to have to do some math)
IIRC, (at least for the Theta engine) the bearings are designated by color.

Not sure if that made any sense.
[/QUOTEThat made a lot of sense, if they use a color system for bearing fitting, it is to compensate for main journal dia. & main bearing bore, and rod journal & connecting rod bore. If they are using this clearance system, don't sell it short as you can fit bearings very precisely .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great information. My main problem is finding the right crankshaft that will fit into the block. The 622 just does not fit so the other option is the 624. I know the part that i need
The mechanic told me that there is a bend in my old crankshaft and i WAS shure that it is not reusable. I read about straightening crankshafts and now i have more confidence that it is doable. I took it to a shop to have it looked at.
Good information about the color codes. I also read about how it works and will look into my old colors so i have the right subsitute.

·
Premium Member
15,457 Posts
Did you get the crank thinking your engine is the same as the v6 in the genesis?
They are different engines.
yours is a Lambda I engine.
the one in the genesis is a Lambda II

·
Registered
102 Posts
Great information. My main problem is finding the right crankshaft that will fit into the block. The 622 just does not fit so the other option is the 624. I know the part that i need
The mechanic told me that there is a bend in my old crankshaft and i WAS shure that it is not reusable. I read about straightening crankshafts and now i have more confidence that it is doable. I took it to a shop to have it looked at.
Good information about the color codes. I also read about how it works and will look into my old colors so i have the right subsitute.
The first time I overhauled a honda engine I did not do the color thing & was sorry. Measurements on these engines are so much closer than an old 283 chevy. The journals & bores are miked to the ''tenths'' .0001, and the color is the thickness of the bearing shell , so you can have a journal a couple of tenths over or under, same with con rod or main bore & the shell thickness compensates for it so you get a really good fit. As a suggestion think about getting the block line bored, especially since the crank was bent. Its not that expensive while its torn down anyway. do the rods too.there is nothing like the satisfaction you get rotating the crank when its machined correctly (,plus thats horsepower from eliminated drag)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mecanic called to say that the bend is out of margin. It can't be used. Back to looking for a crankshaft. I called the local dealer and he confirmed that i need the 321103C720(A). I looked at my bearings for a color. No color. I assume that the bearings were replaced without using the color codes. Maybe that is why it got messed again. Any idea on how to get to the right color. By the way. The best site found untill now for finding parts and number is Partsouq. They are among few who gave me the right info. Even Hyundai sites gave wrong info

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you get the crank thinking your engine is the same as the v6 in the genesis?
They are different engines.
yours is a Lambda I engine.
the one in the genesis is a Lambda II
From the info i got i see that this crankshaft 624R63CA00 is also used in the genesis, veracruz, azera, entourage and sorento

1 - 11 of 11 Posts