Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Gen Coupe 2.0T - Bone Stock. Soon to be 2013 moderately modded.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Tire Automotive exhaust

Been told either 02 sensor or aftermarket air fuel mix Guage. Don't see any wires for an o2 sensor going to the engine. There is an older sensor further up the line.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
It's hard to see the welds but if they differ from the factory welds I'd suspect someone added a bung for another sensor of some sort, possibly for a stand alone gauge or to confirm results of a tune.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agree, or possibly a fuel air mix Guage. I am just trying to figure out what I need to do with this setup at this point.
It's hard to see the welds but if they differ from the factory welds I'd suspect someone added a bung for another sensor of some sort, possibly for a stand alone gauge or to confirm results of a tune.
Yea, it defently did NOT look like a stock bung. So I am guessing what ever the exhaust system, that bung was added. Probably for a sensor, possibly related to fuel air mix. I do know there is an aftermarket tune on the car. I am working to find someone local to San Diego, CA that can help determine what kind of tune was put on here.

I also need to figure out if both cats are in place with appropriate sensors. In the second pic (apologize for the double post of the pics BTW) that you can see a CAT and 02 sensor but as I have learned from other posts, there should be two CATS and two O2 sensors. So I am not sure where I should be looking to locate the second set, that are probably not shown in these pics.

The end result is just having a good read on exactly what I have on the car, and what (if anything) needs to be done. In this week of driving, the only real issue I have, is that the car looks to have aftermarket lowering springs, and the front is about 1/2- 3/4" lower that I am comfortable with. I know that is going to get into the whole coil over/lowering springs conundrum, but I feel confident it is something I can address rather easily. So basically I am just focused on the exhaust right now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some follow up to the exhaust research....I rant my Torque app fault log (P2261 - Turbo/supercharger bypass valve Mechanical) and Vehicle Test Results, only one not "green ok check mark" 02 Bank 1 Sensor 2.

So Research (Dr Google) tells me that I the 02 Bank 1 Sensor 2 could just be a bad sensor or possibly the sensor cable.

P2261 Research says "A P2261 code might mean that your vehicle’s powertrain control module (PCM) has detected an incorrect signal from the sensors monitoring your turbocharger/supercharger bypass valve. The bypass valve is responsible for diverting excess boost when the accelerator pedal is let off. " Which I wonder if this is related to the aftermarket HKS blow off valve. I have researched that mod and it might just be the previous owner didn't do something correctly. I did a pull the other day and my Torque app read 18 PSI. Which is a lot more that my old '10 2.0T

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This may help with diagnosis. Took pics of the aftermarket BOV BOP set up and the solenoid, which is uncapped and no hose connected to it, along with the BOV and it's hoses.
Motor vehicle Car Gas Auto part Machine

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Auto part Car

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
15' 380GT BK2 M/T ;P
78 Posts
To me it looks like they probably welded cats into their downpipes so they could pass visual emissions inspections after switching to catless headers. Then just used an extended O2 sensor to get to that poorly welded O2 bung so they could pass the OBDII emissions lol.
It probably didn't work though and still threw codes because our ECUs are super picky about catalytic converters.
...Ask me how I know.

Wasted $700 on high metal magnaflow cats being welded into my downpipes and making niceass extended O2 sensors after installing OBX headers, just to fail emissions still. Then had to put the OEM headers back on and buy new downpipes which was another $300 lmao. Huge waste of money. I'm not apologizing for venting lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To me it looks like they probably welded cats into their downpipes so they could pass visual emissions inspections after switching to catless headers. Then just used an extended O2 sensor to get to that poorly welded O2 bung so they could pass the OBDII emissions lol.
It probably didn't work though and still threw codes because our ECUs are super picky about catalytic converters.
...Ask me how I know.

Wasted $700 on high metal magnaflow cats being welded into my downpipes and making niceass extended O2 sensors after installing OBX headers, just to fail emissions still. Then had to put the OEM headers back on and buy new downpipes which was another $300 lmao. Huge waste of money. I'm not apologizing for venting lol
Meekmillan,

Thanks. So it would seem to me, purchase a new 'secondary cat', have that nasty thing cut out, have the new cat installed, then have that crappy bung either plugged or cut out and patched. Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Meekmillan,

Thanks. So it would seem to me, purchase a new 'secondary cat', have that nasty thing cut out, have the new cat installed, then have that crappy bung either plugged or cut out and patched. Did I miss anything?
Idk where you live but most places you'd be fine without the secondary cat. It does not have any sensors on it and you can remove it and pass smog, even the ones that check OBD2 readiness. The bung does look like one for an AFR sensor. It's not installed obviously but maybe the previous owner needed it go get tuned and took it back out. I'd leave the bung to be honest, and get an AFR gauge. Always good to know your AFR, especially when tuned. It can tell you if there are any issues.

There are two O2 sensors, and they are both on the primary cat. There is one before the cat, and one after. The secondary does not have any as I mentioned. It could be a bad O2 sensor, cable, OR the tune the car has may have the second O2 sensor check engine light disabled, which would cause your problem.

As for the P2261, if the solenoid is uncapped that would cause it. The BOV has been connected to the intake manifold directly rather than run through the solenoid. Many people, including myself, do this so the BOV does not partially open when the car asks it to. This helps the car hold boost better. It also just makes the BOV work better in my experience. If the solenoid is good, you can just cap it and the code should go away.

Also, your car read 18 PSI - that's fine. The BK2s come factory with more boost than the BK1, and if it is tuned it would be even more.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Idk where you live but most places you'd be fine without the secondary cat. It does not have any sensors on it and you can remove it and pass smog, even the ones that check OBD2 readiness. The bung does look like one for an AFR sensor. It's not installed obviously but maybe the previous owner needed it go get tuned and took it back out. I'd leave the bung to be honest, and get an AFR gauge. Always good to know your AFR, especially when tuned. It can tell you if there are any issues.

There are two O2 sensors, and they are both on the primary cat. There is one before the cat, and one after. The secondary does not have any as I mentioned. It could be a bad O2 sensor, cable, OR the tune the car has may have the second O2 sensor check engine light disabled, which would cause your problem.

As for the P2261, if the solenoid is uncapped that would cause it. The BOV has been connected to the intake manifold directly rather than run through the solenoid. Many people, including myself, do this so the BOV does not partially open when the car asks it to. This helps the car hold boost better. It also just makes the BOV work better in my experience. If the solenoid is good, you can just cap it and the code should go away.

Also, your car read 18 PSI - that's fine. The BK2s come factory with more boost than the BK1, and if it is tuned it would be even more.
Thanks. I appreciate the input. I an in Cali! San Diego, hence concern for emissions. I have seen the primary cat with both 02 sensors.

Again thanks for the suggestions on AFR. I am looking into it.

The solenoid is uncapped. I thought I read that capping it would be an issue as the ECU would read it as locked closed and throw another code. I wonder if anyone has run a hose off it to somewhere else. Still researching that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks. I appreciate the input. I an in Cali! San Diego, hence concern for emissions. I have seen the primary cat with both 02 sensors.

Again thanks for the suggestions on AFR. I am looking into it.

The solenoid is uncapped. I thought I read that capping it would be an issue as the ECU would read it as locked closed and throw another code. I wonder if anyone has run a hose off it to somewhere else. Still researching that.
I have a buddy with a BK2 2.0 and he capped it without any issues but I can't say anything personally since I have a BK1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts