Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2011 r spec running rpf1s 18x9.5 +15 square setup in the front they are coming out past the fender-it looks like the inside of the fender is rolled already but when going around a corner I assume the fender will hit the top of the tire, does anyone have any experience with this or solutions short of pulling the fenders? I guess I could raise the car but being a dedicated track car I would like it as low as possible
Thanks!

·
Registered
455 Posts
It’s going to be a compromise any way you look at it.

You can increase camber, but while that may help clear the fender, it may not be an optimal setting for handling.

You can run a front spring rate sufficient to stem any fender rub, but it may be too stiff, and would add understeer to a car with plenty already.

You could run a bigger front sway bar, which some believe is the best answer to add front end grip, and in doing so, you may succeed in flattening out the front end sufficient to keep the fender gap in tact.

Question: Any minimal amount of research should have showed you almost no one runs 9.5-inch wheels up front, and certainly not with a +15 offset. What made you pick those specs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I appreciate the advice- I have not yet gone for my alignment (scheduled for next Saturday) I wanted to get the ride height dialed in first- I plan on getting -4 degrees negative camber so that may help. also I do have a larger front bar. in terms of why I chose those specs- I spoke with a team that races gen coups and he told me that they run a square setup of 18x9.5 +15 ( and only need to roll the fender. obviously there are many variables but I didn't think it would be this bad...I guess I will see how it comes out after the alignment is done 🤷‍♂️

·
IG: jasonlikedthis
821 Posts
You won't be able to get -4 degrees on the front without a camber kit. I believe the max is like -2 with the Rspec camber bolts. You will still be fine though cause I'm running about -2 with 19x9.5 +12.

·
1 R 1337!
368 Posts
It’s going to be a compromise any way you look at it.

You can increase camber, but while that may help clear the fender, it may not be an optimal setting for handling.

You can run a front spring rate sufficient to stem any fender rub, but it may be too stiff, and would add understeer to a car with plenty already.

You could run a bigger front sway bar, which some believe is the best answer to add front end grip, and in doing so, you may succeed in flattening out the front end sufficient to keep the fender gap in tact.

Question: Any minimal amount of research should have showed you almost no one runs 9.5-inch wheels up front, and certainly not with a +15 offset. What made you pick those specs?
excuse me? almost everybody runs 9.5 wheels up front....??

·
1 R 1337!
368 Posts
Hey guys I have a 2011 r spec running rpf1s 18x9.5 +15 square setup in the front they are coming out past the fender-it looks like the inside of the fender is rolled already but when going around a corner I assume the fender will hit the top of the tire, does anyone have any experience with this or solutions short of pulling the fenders? I guess I could raise the car but being a dedicated track car I would like it as low as possible
Thanks! View attachment 75812 View attachment 75813
a 265/35R18 tire with a 10.7" section width on your very same RPF1 18x9.5 wheel with an +15 offset; at ~ -2.5deg camber, looks like this >>

this one also has the same exact specs as above, but at -2.8deg of camber. top edge of the tire is within the fender.

so just add around -2.5 to -3 degrees of camber (preferably via camber plates, camber bolts will decrease wheel backspace), which you will need for even tire wear in track use anyway any less than -2.5 in the track and your outer side of the tire will wear out rapidly.
heck with sticker tires you will need like -3.5 to -4, like this guy who runs 275/35 NT01 on RPF1 18x10.5 +15 square with -4.5 camber up front:

http://instagr.am/p/B0PKtdPHj93/
Track tires are optimized for -3 at the least.

another example of same exact wheels as yours, again with a 275/35R18 NT01 square setup (front PBM camber plates maxed out)
http://instagr.am/p/CB1FOfenJPS/
TL;DR: add camber.

p.s.: on a side note; on tracking the car. i won't lower it too much, heck on my car, i only lower the suspension 1" (and ride on 1" smaller diameter tires for effectively 2" total drop) because lowering the suspension too much will screw up your suspension Roll Centers. and THAT has a worse effect on grip than any gains from a lower CoG. ;)

·
Registered
455 Posts
excuse me? almost everybody runs 9.5 wheels up front....??
I’ve learned over the years that “fit” and “flush” are subjective terms, as illustrated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts