Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm kind of a newbie to tuning and I've been wanting to tune my car for a while now. I'm currently debating on if I should get a canned tune from SFR or get a custom tune with all my mods. I currently have a ISR Performance street cat-back exhaust system ,ISR Performance Downpipe, ISR Performance 02 Housing,K&N Typhoon Air Intake, and a Treadstone Performance Intercooler. I have been wanting to do a custom tune but I've been hearing it is hard to tune a Genesis in Northern California since there isn't really a lot of tuners in the area.

TL;DR: Canned Tune or Custom Tune?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am quite happy with my BTR Stage 2 canned tune. This car has a very decent powerband when opened up with your mods + a tune. A world of difference from the stock tune would be an understatement.

I don't think you have may options for a custom tune in NorCal. Your options are Chicago, Florida, or a remote tune.

·
13 2.0T
24 Posts
I am quite happy with my BTR Stage 2 canned tune. This car has a very decent powerband when opened up with your mods + a tune. A world of difference from the stock tune would be an understatement.

I don't think you have may options for a custom tune in NorCal. Your options are Chicago, Florida, or a remote tune.
Where in Chicago can I get my car tuned?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

ahh okay, damn thats a bummer, i think I might just drive down to Khartunerz in LA then.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My dad took his 14 2.0T Rspec to a dyno on the Chicago area. All stock with a cone aftermarket intake, it put 200 HP to the wheels. Kinda low, but I'm convinced Hyundai is optimistic with the HP ratings. They plugged in the 93 octane Lap3 Uncle Chip from the K5 Optima store and it went up 40 HP to 240 HP at the wheels. This was at the same time, so no weather or other influence, simply plug and play. This is exactly what Lap3 advertises on the 93 octane tune.

On my 13 2.0T Rspec and previous 14 Sonata SE 2.0T, I have the 91 octane, supposedly about a 20-25 HP gain. My seat of the pants says it is prolly close. This was run in my 14 Sonata for about 30,000 miles with no issues. In my Rspec, I just changed the Lap3 to a 93 octane tune and I'll see how that works. I may dyno it next Spring. Point being people on Sonatas and Gen Coupes have been happy with the Uncle Chip Lap3. It's about $600.00 to $700.00 investment and takes minutes to install.

ominousone

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
IMO if you're not upgrading major components like the turbo, injectors (if the size you get is not listed in the can tune), and/or cat delete, then just get the can tune.
Save up, buy upgrades and then get a custom tune done all at once.

·
Registered
68 Posts
A can tune will be great for your mods, if you plan on going bigger turbo or injectors like said above then a custom tune will be 100% necessary. I would also wait on the custom tune until you are done with your engine mods, if you get a custom tune then every mod you add after words you will need to get it retuned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A can tune will be great for your mods, if you plan on going bigger turbo or injectors like said above then a custom tune will be 100% necessary. I would also wait on the custom tune until you are done with your engine mods, if you get a custom tune then every mod you add after words you will need to get it retuned.
How much HP do you think I would gain with my mods currently if I get a canned tune?

·
Registered
239 Posts
A quick update on changing my Uncle Chip LAP3 91 octane to the 93 setting. My car, for some reason, didn't seem to like it. It stuttered a bit at higher RPMs, so I just switched the unit back to the 91 octane setting and it's fine. Plus, 93 is a PITA to find where I live.

As I mentioned, my dad gained 40 hp from stock to 93 octane on his, and is running fine. He and I did a couple 3rd and 4th gear "pulls" and he pulled me a bit every time. So there is a definite power increase with the LAP3 93 octane over the 91 octane tune, and presumably over stock.

omiousone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts