Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 3.8 A/T suddenly became sluggish and feels like hesitating. Unlike before where i get the getting pulled feeling when i floor it on 2nd gear.
The car also sounds louder in exhaust.
Changed the plugs, got better the first 2 days but symptoms came back.
Sometimes it is ok, but most of the time, it feels sluggish and louder.
No check engine lights.
Badly need your wisdom my genesis people.

· I'd rather do it myself
20,413 Posts
Probably not the chain at 43K.

FWIW if you have an old school timing light you can see if the chain is worn.

Mark the crank pully TDC spot in white and then with the engine at temp and running goose the gas and let up quickly, completely. The timing should advance and then as the rpms drop stop at the TDC mark (at idle). If the mark drops back past the painted mark then returns to the idle spot that is chain wear.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
FYI also, the engine once overheated due to radiator leak. The radiator leaked while running on the highway. 3 - 4 Months after replacing my radiator, the symptoms came. Let me also note that i have rough idles. When on a traffic light or stopping, there is a feel like the engine will stall but the rpms does not fall hard. Rpms look normal in the dash and in the Torque app.
Symptoms were gone when i changed the plugs but it came back days after. I gapped the plugs .035-.040"

Starting the car also takes a while like it's hesitating to start but then starts. Like after the started do it's job, the the ignition almost fails to start the car and struggles to start it running.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably not the chain at 43K.

FWIW if you have an old school timing light you can see if the chain is worn.

Mark the crank pully TDC spot in white and then with the engine at temp and running goose the gas and let up quickly, completely. The timing should advance and then as the rpms drop stop at the TDC mark (at idle). If the mark drops back past the painted mark then returns to the idle spot that is chain wear.
Unfortunately i dont have this and i have no idea how to use this. Can i have a clearer tutorial on how to do this?

· I'd rather do it myself
20,413 Posts
Pull the plugs again and look at them. Take some pics of the tips and especially the bend in the strap. That is where a color change should happen.

Bogging down is usually a lean issue so if they are white then that would agree with that.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pull the plugs again and look at them. Take some pics of the tips and especially the bend in the strap. That is where a color change should happen.

Bogging down is usually a lean issue so if they are white then that would agree with that.
I tried to pull the plugs and then i saw oil in the plug well. Is this the reason?
White Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Metal

Automotive tire Grey Gas Rim Wood

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could possibly be a vacuum leak. I had one in the "pvc" hose. Caused a very unstable idle and would cause the engine to stall. Once repaired it was fine. Troubleshoot simple first. Good luck.
Something odd happened tho. While driving, the car jerks at 4000 rpm then resume accelerating then jerks again at 5000 rpm. When the car jerks, it feels like it loses power for a second and the rpm goes down a little. This happens even if i floor it.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Something odd happened tho. While driving, the car jerks at 4000 rpm then resume accelerating then jerks again at 5000 rpm. When the car jerks, it feels like it loses power for a second and the rpm goes down a little. This happens even if i floor it.
I cant even drive smoothly past 4000 rpm. It jerks and then resumes accelerating over and over until it reaches 5000 to 6000 rpm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts