Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, new here and a future GC owner. I had a few questions for you guys who own the M/T 3.8 '11-'12 models. I'm coming from the little brother of the GC, the Tib. I've had my eyes set on the first-gen GC since it was announced and now I think the time is finally right to be able to buy one. Not really interested in the '13+.
Just wanted to check to make sure I'm not missing anything in terms of common issues:

- Interior quality - cheap
- Seat belt rattles
- Headlight/taillight get condensation easily
- Wipers don't park right all the time
- 5th gear grinds in manual transmission
- Weak manual transmission in general?
- A/C not ice cold all the time during long periods of sitting
- Not a problem, but fairly stiff ride quality.

Am I missing anything/incorrect about anything? Honestly, most of these aren't that surprising coming from the Tiburon because they share the same issues in many regards.
How reliable is the older GC both suspension and engine wise? I couldn't really find a whole lot but it seems kind of hit or miss. It's an interference engine w/ a timing chain, correct?

Lastly, any important recalls that I should be asking about when I do my GC shopping? I found one with the electrical harness connector for the pax side airbag, and one with a diff driveshaft detaching problem. Thanks for the help, hope to be part of the community soon!

·
shorttrack
1,703 Posts
Would not waste my time with a BK1 ,unless I had real plans to fix the known problems and stick some more power ($$$$) to it .Best bang is a used BK2 3.8 r-spec .

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got my 2012 3.8 last year and love it. Sure I would love the extra ~40hp/tq from the 13+ but it's a good amount of power for the average guy that just wants a fast DD and not looking at turning it up to 11 at the track. Not sure what you're most interested in but I wouldn't worry too much. Sounds like you've done a lot of forum research like I did. My experience:
Fair amount of rattles but I think the interior quality in the touch and looks department is a step above cheap. I got headlight condensation but no taillight. No 5th gear grind. Definitely MT needs a few parts before it feels better (I did SS, and shifter bushings which helped a ton, and I have Trans mount on the way which is supposed to also help so much). Coming from a Tib you're going to be a happy guy either way. Let me know if you have any other specifics. I did have a rear shock leak which was covered under warranty as well.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the input. This car is going to be my weekend warrior. How's the ride quality?

Can someone on here clear something up for me? The R-Spec I'm looking at has the rear wing, cruise control, the nav system, push start, 19" wheels, brembo brakes, and HIDs. I thought all of these were Track model specifics? Did Hyundai give an option for R-Spec owners to put these on? or maybe the previous owner just put them on. There's no sunroof though.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
That really sounds like a track or ultimate, i dont think the rspec ever came with most of the options you mentioned, particulary the push button start and nav.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Track models came with sunroof here in the US so it's not a Track. If it's a 2011 or 12 it sounds like an rspec, but they didn't come with nav., rear spoiler, etc. Are you in Canada?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts