Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I'm new to this forum, but not to Gen coupes. I have a Catalunya Copper Metallic 2013 3.8GT with a 6sp manual, with the Hyundai Performance muffler and hollowed out secondary cats. I'm looking to start buying and installing parts in the spring. I look forward to learning from you seasoned veterans as I build up Penny.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds as though you have a good start with a nicely equipped coupe that has a great paint color. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Actually I regret hollowing those secondary cats. There's a terrible rasp and I don't know how to get rid of it without buying new cats in exchange for my first born. :(

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks! Actually I regret hollowing those secondary cats. There's a terrible rasp and I don't know how to get rid of it without buying new cats in exchange for my first born. :(
Hollowed out cats actually give worse performance than un-touched cats because of all the turbulence they generate. It is a silly ******* thing to do to any car, let alone a nice one like a Genesis Coupe.

Come on pal, you're better than that.

Unfortunately, in this case it's gonna be a fairly harsh lesson for you. The perfect fix would be a set of resonated test pipes, but nobody makes them for the 3.8 anymore. Also, they were jolly expensive even when they were available; over $300!

You could get a set of regular non-resonated test pipes, but they will do nothing for the rasp. The other issue is nobody makes correctly-sized test pipes for the 3.8. Everyone does them in 2.5 inch diameter, too big to match up with the rest of the exhaust system which is all 2.25 inch diameter. This mis-match in sizing causes, you guessed it, power-robbing turbulence in the exhaust stream.

My suggestion would be to take the $200 that test pipes would cost and put that towards some custom exhaust work. You could get a local exhaust shop to splice a couple of compact 2.25 inch resonators in where the secondary cats should be, or save up a bit more and just have a proper exhaust system made. The OEM cat-back exhaust is really terrible anyway. That Y-pipe right behind the secondary cats robs all kinds of power.

I bet an outfit like Solo Performance Exhaust (which many people here on the forums love BTW) could build you a special "catback" exhaust kit that had lengthened mid-pipes to make up for the gap left when you remove your gutted cats.

Exhaust systems are easy to build and modify in general. Save up a bit of cash, make some calls, and you'll have good solutions coming out of your ears before you know it.

Besides getting rid of the rasp, what do you want out of your car? You say you want to start buying and installing parts this spring, but what are your goals?

Stanced out show car? Backroad barnstormer? Track day warrior?

It's best to define clear goals for your build before you start throwing parts at it. If you are interested in hard driving it is important that you investigate the Genesis Coupe's known engineering shortcomings as well; most notably the shoddy drivetrain mounts.

Good luck, happy tuning!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow thanks a lot for the information, dude! I figured I'd have to go to a custom shop to fix it. I'll probably get a local shop to fab something up for me. I already have one in mind.

I assume an X/H pipe where those cats are would do nothing for me, eh?

I'm looking to have kind of a backroad stormer/MILD track day warrior. I love enthusiastic driving on regular roads, especially b-roads a little north from me. But I also like hitting up Cayuga to run it doen the strip, and I want to try their circuit. So I want a nice in between.
For spring, I am aiming to get an Injen CAI, Grimmspeed intake manifold thermal spacer, and maybe the TQ Throttle body spacer and gasket just cause they're cheap. Nothing crazy.

I was thinking of getting it tuned, too. But I guess running the gaskets, spacer, CAI, hollowed secondary cats and the upgraded muffler aren't worth a tune, yet...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Wow thanks a lot for the information, dude! I figured I'd have to go to a custom shop to fix it. I'll probably get a local shop to fab something up for me. I already have one in mind.

I assume an X/H pipe where those cats are would do nothing for me, eh?

I'm looking to have kind of a backroad stormer/MILD track day warrior. I love enthusiastic driving on regular roads, especially b-roads a little north from me. But I also like hitting up Cayuga to run it doen the strip, and I want to try their circuit. So I want a nice in between.
For spring, I am aiming to get an Injen CAI, Grimmspeed intake manifold thermal spacer, and maybe the TQ Throttle body spacer and gasket just cause they're cheap. Nothing crazy.

I was thinking of getting it tuned, too. But I guess running the gaskets, spacer, CAI, hollowed secondary cats and the upgraded muffler aren't worth a tune, yet...
A different aftermarket catback will definitely help with your rasp issue. And regarding the tune, if you plan on getting more performance mods in the near future than of course its better to wait until they are all installed in order to gain the most benefit from the tune and all of your other mods. However, with your mentioned mods coming in the spring, a tune would still get you plenty of gains and benefits, probably somewhere around a 20whp gain give or take a few, as well as better mpg, throttle response, etc. So it really is up to you if you want to start seeing the gains sooner or rather wait until all of your bolt ons are done. You can always retune after your later mods as a lot of tuners give discounted prices on retunes for that very reason. Hope this helped and welcome to gencoupe!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts