Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was testing how fast this car can go from a complete stop when the gas pedal is pressed all the way. The engine was already warmed up. But i've noticed theres a high pitched sound, like a small fan spinning really fast coming from the engine. Is that normal? I thought the turbo makes the 'swoosh' sound when it kicks in, but this other noise is sorta bothering me.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I was hearing the same thing only happened once I have not heard it since. But I would like to see If anyone has had the issue checked out in case it's serious lol..I've herd people complain about a fuel pump whine this could be it but I have not heard that noise so I cant say.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont think its fuel pump whine. cause it sounds a small fan spinning super fast and only does it when i floor the pedal. could it just be the turbo? oh and i also noticed on the cold start, when you start driving the car theres a heavy 'grinding' noise that you can hear for the first 5 seconds.. anyone know anything about that?

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I imagine a small fan spinning fast to have a whine like noise lol but anywho the turbo does make a nice spooling sound, a swoosh or pssshhhhh noise would come from having an after market BOV...My car has the wastegate rattle issue very annoying...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea mine has wastegate rattle too. i think all of 2013 2.0t genesis coupe does. Maybe some are quieter than the others. But i can clearly hear mine when i accelerate around 2000rpm except when i have my music on.
Ill record all of fan spinning noise, wastegate rattle, and the cold start grinding noise today and post it soon.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I hear the spinning, it is 100% my turbo, in my opinion normal operation. In my last turbo car there was a plastic insert in the piping that could be removed which may it sound LOUD

I also hear a spinning metal / wire brush sound while coasting (different from the turbo spool sound), coming from the transmission which I don't think is normal.

·
Womp Womp
342 Posts
I was testing how fast this car can go from a complete stop when the gas pedal is pressed all the way. The engine was already warmed up. But i've noticed theres a high pitched sound, like a small fan spinning really fast coming from the engine. Is that normal? I thought the turbo makes the 'swoosh' sound when it kicks in, but this other noise is sorta bothering me.
Preeeeetty sure that's your turbo.

Did it sound like this?

It may not sound exactly like that, since that's with an intake installed. Yours would be similar, but much quieter.

·
xFa
446 Posts
sounds like turbo to me...mine also flutters >.< wastegate ftl.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Nope, different sound. Heres the video.
If you listen carefully theres another sound other than the engine. I thought turbos just gave off the woosh sound not the one like in my video.

this video i found of someone elses genesis, it doesnt have any sounds like that when he floors the pedal.

·
Womp Womp
342 Posts
I can't tell who's joking and who's serious anymore, but there's nothing wrong with your car. That's the turbo fan spooling up. If you DON'T hear that sound, then I'd be worried.

The waste gate rattle, while annoying, is "normal" for the 2013 because of the way the actuator arm sits. It won't affect performance, but will annoy the hell out of you. If its any consolation, I'm just over 5k miles and it seems to be going away. My exhaust also tends to drown it out...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't tell who's joking and who's serious anymore, but there's nothing wrong with your car. That's the turbo fan spooling up. If you DON'T hear that sound, then I'd be worried.

The waste gate rattle, while annoying, is "normal" for the 2013 because of the way the actuator arm sits. It won't affect performance, but will annoy the hell out of you. If its any consolation, I'm just over 5k miles and it seems to be going away. My exhaust also tends to drown it out...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thats good to hear. For the wastegate rattle I really hope Hyundai comes up with a fix but I have a feeling that wont happen

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is the whining I've complained about over and over... Had my turbo replaced over it, idler pulley replaced over it, power steering lines flushed over it... Regional Manager told me it was the noise the "turbo makes once it's worn in" (noise did NOT change when turbo was replaced)... NOW the Regional Manager's boss and the engineer have changed their story to it's a "characteristic of the 8 speed transmission".

Editing to add that I started showing the sound to them by flooring it... Then I learned that it's only between shifts by playing with it in manual mode. In mine, if you listen really close when not flooring it, you can pick out differences in sound when it's shifting in drive/sport mode.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
That is the whining I've complained about over and over... Had my turbo replaced over it, idler pulley replaced over it, power steering lines flushed over it... Regional Manager told me it was the noise the "turbo makes once it's worn in" (noise did NOT change when turbo was replaced)... NOW the Regional Manager's boss and the engineer have changed their story to it's a "characteristic of the 8 speed transmission".

Editing to add that I started showing the sound to them by flooring it... Then I learned that it's only between shifts by playing with it in manual mode. In mine, if you listen really close when not flooring it, you can pick out differences in sound when it's shifting in drive/sport mode.
Ok so then who's right? the ones that are saying normal or the ones that are saying its not?

And has anyone tried fitting a spring or washer on the wastegate arm to reduce the rattle noise? To me this rattle seems like a big deal but doesn't look like there are that many threads on it. Are people just not dealing with it and ignoring the issue?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts