Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

How long your tires last

• 1-100 miles (The drifting crowd)

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • 100-1,000 miles (Probably have alignment issues)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1,000-10,000 miles (Agressive driver/Frequents the track)

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • 10,000-15,000 miles

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • 15,000-20,000 miles

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • 20,000-30,000 miles (Lucky you)

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • 30,000+ miles (You know you have a RWD sports car right?)

Votes: 10 14.9%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know it greatly varies from car to car and tire to tire, but we dont' drive on 225/45/16's that you can rotate and get 80k miles (I wish) with tires that cost $100 a pop.

Granted we have more fun and get better perfomance than them, but we have to deal with a staggard setup with sometime directional tires so we can't event rotate or swap sides. And generally they last 15k-25k ( I assume) avg and cost $200-$300 a pop.

Now that we have some people getting miles on their GC's I a curious as to what miles you are getting.

I had about 7k on my stockers with about 50% tread left. And I am a bit less than 10k now and y hankook ventus's are lookin' good still (the fronts anyway lol, long story)

I am just curious as to what the avg might be and what the highest is.

If you can answer the poll and make a post telling us which tires you had and if you are still on them, guestimate the tread left and miles so far. ie.

Tire Brand: OEM Base (Bridgestone Potenzas?)
Size: F-225/40/18 R-245/40/18
Mileage: 10,000 miles with 50% tread left
Driving Style: Agressive with the occasional peel out, but no 10 sec burnouts standing still.
Mileage Type: Mostly Highway

edit: If a mod sees this and wants to take the "S" off of the "yourS" and add a "?" to the title I would appreciate it.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
Yep, about 10k on the rears & the fronts are about 1/2 worn or a little more. That is with only 2 track events on the OEMs.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Tire Brand: OEM Potenza RE050A
Size: F-225/40/19 R-245/40/19
Mileage: 25K with 30% tread left
Driving Style: Semi agressive with no intentional peel outs. Traction control kept on most of the time. Been babying them so I could buy other parts first
Mileage Type: 50/50 mix of city and highway

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Summer Setup:

Tire Brand: OEM Track Bridgestone Potenzas RE050A
Mileage: ~9,500 miles with 10% tread left Rear, Uneven ~50% wear front
Driving Style: Aggressive, Tracked a dozen times on short Auto-X style course.
Mileage Type: 50/50 Highway/city.

The compound melted off the back tires faster than I expected, even with aggressive driving.

The front tires got more outer shoulder wear due to hard cornering roll-over, the car definitely needs more camber in the front for track/aggressive driving.

I HAD to inflate the front tire to 40-41psi Cold/~46-48psi Hot for lapping sessions to prevent the tires from rolling over too much before they got up to temp.

Pictures of actual wear:

Font tire, see the outer(right side) threads lines are almost gone, the inner are still good.

The back tires are completely shot, this created very frequent hydroplaning situations with very little rain on the ground.

Winter setup:

Tire Brand: Yokohama IceGuard20
Mileage: ~4,500 miles with 25-30% tread on Rear, 75% wear front.
Driving Style: Relaxed and casual driving mostly, rear wheel spin and corner sliding occasionally on purpose, other times due to road conditions.
Mileage Type: 50/50 Highway/city.

Again, I'm a bit surprised at the speed at which the back tires have worn out. The front are good for another 2 winters, easy.

The tires perform very well in cold temperatures, have very good ice adherence and the only thing that could be revised is the wet snow/slush situations.

The tires evacuate the snow very well too, only downside is the width of the ones I got gave a slight feeling of "floating" when the roads were covered in ~1-2" of unpacked snow.

I wouldn't get the same tires only due to the fact that I could find tires with much better thread wear rating that performs similarly for a bit less money than what the IG20's go for.

·
Use the F'n Search Button
4,280 Posts
I have about 12,000 miles on the stock all-winters. I'm just under 50% wear on the front, maybe 60% wear on the back.

I don't spin out or drive like an idiot.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am just about to turn over 20k on my car, still on the stock tires and they are still at about 70-75%.

:D

I can make it past 30k easyyyyyyyy.

·
carrbrad82
2 Posts
sorryto bug you about this but how do you posta new thread? I need to ask if anyone has had any thermostat problems and I cannot figure out how to post.

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
sorryto bug you about this but how do you posta new thread? I need to ask if anyone has had any thermostat problems and I cannot figure out how to post.

I'm with MyDcmbr. My stock tires are at almost 19k now with about 75% tread remaining. Would easily last 30k+, but the new Hankook's will go on soon.

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, I guess I should have made one more poll choice. Kind of why I made the thread to see where people are at. I thought 30k was high, guess not. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
I just passed 14k last week and mine still look pretty good..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mileage: 20K with 40% tread left (getting extremely loud though, will replace around 20%)
Driving Style: Semi agressive with a handful of short powerslides when wet. Traction control kept on most of the time (except for one particularly well designed onramp...)
Mileage Type: 70/30 mix of hwy and city

·
Midlife Crisis Consultant
270 Posts
Tire Brand: OEM Base (Bridgestone Potenzas RE090s)
Mileage: 14,900 miles with 25% tread left
Driving Style: Aggressive but, very few burnouts
Mileage Type: Mixed
I wish this Bridgestone tire would stop being the default A/S tire for "sporty vehicles".
Eg. the MPV I used to drive 6 years ago was equiped with RE090's, As well as a 2001 Maxima, and 2005 Pontiac Vibe. All of those cars I owned I found myself needing new tires at around 20,000 or risk serious problems in any snow or water. There are far better performing and wearing A/S tires that don't cost much more on Tirerack. I guess I can't wait for my refund check to get here

·
Midlife Crises Not Over!
409 Posts
Had 13,000 on mine and got a screw in the back right tire. Didn't know it until after I drove to work and smelt something burning. Got out looked under the car thinking I caught a plastic bag or something and it was melting on the exhaust. Sure enough there was a bag there, removed it came out to car after work and tire was flat.
Put on spare and took tire to get fixed............... no go! Rim chewed up sidewall cause presure got to low!
The hell with buying one new tire having 13,000 miles on em so I bought four new ones. Not exactly what you were looking for but ehhhh tread was about half way down so I figure I would have got at least 25,000 outta them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
12k miles on the first set of potenza re05's (oem summer) in the rear, as I was pretty nice during the break in period.
5k miles on evo v12s and they were totally flat and shot at the end, then killed a second set of potenza's in 3-4k miles this winter largely due to to cold weather. (they aren't kidding when they say 'not intended for near freezing temps')
Fronts were down to wear bars on the left at 20.5k, since I don't brake and corner as aggressively as I accelerate. T/C on, city and highway driving.

Giving the pilot sport A/S plus's a try now due to their 40k mileage warranty. Maybe not a good tracking tire as they deaden bumps quite well and loose a little dry performance compared to the summers, but still grip well enough. Having tires that don't hydroplane as easily is nice too.

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
My only issue with harder longer lasting tires is they tend to be noisier. The v12 evo's are 280AA. The OEM potenza re050 are only 140AA!. I dind't know they were that low before now. I thought 280 was medium soft, but after seeing the OEM's I am thinking they arne't too bad at all. If the potenza's last 25k, I would think my new v12's should last at least 30k. Guess I should have made a better poll. Oh well, I suck. Though I am more and more impressed by the v12's. They are comparativly cheap, I like thier performance, and they should last fairly long, and I don't find them noisy at all.

The pilot sports are 500AA so they should definatly last 40k at least, I just have to wonder about the noise, keep us posted abcGC (lol at your name, and welcome).

·
DoubleTake
5 Posts
I'm at 12,7XX with the stock tires, Potenza Summers, but my front tire is wearing faster than my rear and I'm looking to find a better tire around 20,000 miles. I've been looking at the Pilot Sport tires... any idea how well these will perform? Not only worried about longevity but also stickiness to grip n go and corner hard.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Base OEM 18s fronts still have more than half left and the rears are about dead. 12xxx miles. Damn those drifting sections.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have 25,200 miles on my OEM Potenza RE92A. Acquired the car with 21,600 miles. Trend is about 35%, I'd guess. Generally, I dislike Bridgestone and these haven't changed my opinion of them. Will be replacing before the end of the year.

·
Sponsored by Mastercard
423 Posts
OEM tires were all season. The front after 15,000km were still good. Rears were pretty much finished. Maybe another 5000km.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mileage: 34K with 3/32 tread left on the rear; 6/32 tread on the front
Driving Style: Semi agressive
Mileage Type: 80/20 mix of hwy and city

1 - 20 of 25 Posts