Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just swapped mine out this weekend to a stage 2. Had 82,000mi on the OEM clutch and flywheel

·
Advenio Pariter
3,967 Posts
I am going to weigh-in despite having a slushbox. For the record this is my first automatic since 1987. Teen driver... Some history. My previous car was a Vibe GT with a Toyota 2ZZ engine in it. On the Matrix/Vibe forums a lot of people were destroying their clutches within 20k to 25k miles on the 2ZZ. If you are familiar with those engines you might understand why. I actually recalibrated my clutch technique because of that engine. However, I traded-in my Vibe GT with over 111k miles with the original clutch. No issues. I drive hilly back roads to and from work. I replaced the clutch on my Stealth R/T at around 160k miles as I recall.

Bottom line is there are too many variables. With the right technique you can still have some fun and keep you clutch for a decent amount of time. A clutch, like brakes and tires, is a wear item.

·
Registered
648 Posts
For my 2010 3.8 I bought the car at 65k and it had all highway miles on it, so I can safely assume that was the stock clutch. I am now at 158,000 miles and have not changed the clutch yet. Still going strong. Even had some fun with it. Admittedly, now most of my driving is highway where the clutch isn't used all that much, but still it just keeps going.

·
shorttrack
1,703 Posts
My 2014 nitrous 3.8 R-spec lasted at about 5,500 miles .Ran 11.87 ET @117 mph in the 1/4 (best time).Not bad for a OEM clutch .

Reactions: kurtfriedrich

·
Registered
325 Posts
The OEM pressure plate and friction disk on the Genesis Coupe are quite good. They're copies of a ZF SACHS design, just like the manual transmission itself. The clutch assembly should last at least 80K-100K miles with regular mixed driving. The friction disk has a semi-metallic construction, so it will tolerate heat build-up and aggressive driving much better than a typical fully organic friction disk. You can see the little metallic strands in this photo:

Honestly, you are more likely to wear out the OEM dual mass flywheel before the clutch, especially with hard driving. The dual mass flywheel on Project Hoondy was almost completely worn out well before 50K miles:

I'll admit, Project Hoondy gets driven hard, but not unreasonably so. It was never driven hard enough to glaze or otherwise damage the friction disk. The DMF is somewhat of a known issue on the Genesis Coupe, so when your clutch does eventually wear out you should look into replacing the flywheel at the same time.

·
Need more power !
760 Posts
I'm hoping much longer as I have 43k on the car 35k of which have been stage 2. My 2011 r-spec 2.0 clutch lasted 10k miles and I replaced the ToB 3 times in 50k miles, wtf?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts