Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how much weight can I expect to save with carbon fiber hood and trunk?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
That dosent sound like a very cost effective weight loss. I guess if your building a race or track car and gutting everything else then it adds up but standing alone i think id start with lighter wheels/tires.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,064 Posts
A few months ago a member posted the weights of a carbon creations or viz hood VS the stock steel unit. The carbon hood was some 29lbs lighter than the stock piece. Most trunk lids are between 12lbs and 18lbs lighter than stock. Assume on average you'll drop about 35lbs with both provided you ditch the inside coverings and the hood blanket.

·
Registered
263 Posts
A few months ago a member posted the weights of a carbon creations or viz hood VS the stock steel unit. The carbon hood was some 29lbs lighter than the stock piece. Most trunk lids are between 12lbs and 18lbs lighter than stock. Assume on average you'll drop about 35lbs with both provided you ditch the inside coverings and the hood blanket.
No way im ditching the inside coverings or insulation, car gets too loud. Maybe to pre 2014 cars have a heavy steel hood but mine is quite light at 34lbs. Carbon is supposed to be 24. I think they are designed for heat management though, not just weight loss.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I replaced my hood because of peeling paint and slight weight reduction in the front. I've technically added a little weight in the back with carbon fiber lip spoiler and rear diffuser. Guess you can count my sub/amp too lol.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Ive considered a C/F hood/trunk, i like the look and any weight savings is a plus but others ive seen on the road for more than a couple of years dont seem to age well in extremely hot desert climates, ive noticed lots of cracking and discoloration.

·
Premium Member
15,072 Posts
90% of "carbon fiber" hoods/trunks are NOT full carbon fiber.

They are fiberglass hoods with a top layer of carbon fiber.
In a nutshell they are over priced fiberglass parts.

I can tell you why NOT to laminate carbon fiber to fiberglass, but then I'll be writing a giant wall-o-text

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I think ive read that here before, proably from one of your previous posts. I would imagin the "real" C/F stuff, if its even made for the coupe would be prohibitavily expensive for almost all but a sponsered racer.

·
Premium Member
15,072 Posts
I think ive read that here before, proably from one of your previous posts. I would imagin the "real" C/F stuff, if its even made for the coupe would be prohibitavily expensive for almost all but a sponsered racer.
The cost of carbon fiber fabric has come down a lot over the last 10 years.
The process to make either full cf or fg parts is the same.

Adding a fiberglass core to what would be otherwise a carbon fiber piece, would just make the part heavier.
They could have just added another sheet of carbon fiber and it would have been just as strong, if not stronger.

In a fiberglass core carbon fiber piece, the strongest part is NOT the carbon fiber, it ends up being the fiberglass.
Reason - both materials have different expansion/contraction rates. Fiberglass has a higher rate.
What happens when you have two materials laminated with different expansions/contraction rates?
One is going to have to give, in this case, the carbon fiber strands are going to end up breaking, making it lose it's "carbon fiber" strength. So, structurally it's just a fiberglass part, and the carbon fiber ends up just being an expensive superficial part of it.

This guy has been making full carbon fiber parts for a good 5 years.
He's pretty much has made a full carbon fiber S30 chassis from scratch.
Street Bandito

1 - 11 of 11 Posts