Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little bit of a noob here sorry. It's an automatic. I got this car not too long ago, I took it to the dealership for a recall and they said the trans fluid was a little dirty. Lately I have been feeling my car jerk a little when I let off the gas, I'm really not sure what it is but I've been thinking maybe it could be related to the transmission. Figured I'd go ahead and switch the fluid since it's at 65k miles. What is the easiest way to check the fluid since there's no dipstick and how often do y'all change the fluid?

·
Advenio Pariter
4,027 Posts
On my BK1 with the 5AT I would do a drain and fill every 45k miles or so. I added a Magnafine external filter too. When I traded her at over 134k miles she ran like a top. With the 2013 you have the 8AT. Personally, I would have your fluid changed. Either DIY or have a shop do it. I consider this good insurance as there is no such thing as "permanent" fluid in a device that rotates and goes through heat cycles. Your fluid is dirty and somewhat depleted by now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Someone here mentioned the 8 spd. auto is similar to the 8 spd. in the BMWs (and other makes).

Most BMW guys recommend changing the transmission fluid and filter in the 8 spd. about every 50,000 miles. I just changed it in mine a couple months ago at 97,000 miles (bought it used, no idea if it was changed previously but the fluid did look pretty good as it drained out.

If it's similar enough to the BMW transmission then there is no dipstick (as you said.) On the BMW you drain it, replace the pan/filter (filter is made into the pan on it) and refill till it come out the fill hole. Then you put the plug in, start it up and shift it through the gears one at a time manually (mine was up on a lift) and back to park and let it idle till it gets up to temperature.) Had to have a scanner to read transmission temperature. Then shut it off, pull the fill plug and top it off again till the fluid runs out of the fill hole. Reinstall the fill plug, wipe off/up what was spilled and get it off the lift and it's ready to drive.

If you don't have a way to get it up (safely) and get under it you might want to pay a shop to do it. If you don't have the right (in/lb) torque wrench for the tranmission pan bolts you might want to pay a shop to do it. If you don't have a way to read transmission temp. for the top off part of the procedure you might want to pay a shop to do it.

Good luck. Way less money spent changing the filter/fluid every 50,000 miles or so vs. replacing the transmission at some point.

·
Registered
2014 Hoondai 🏎️💨 GC 2.0T FBO+SFR
99 Posts
About every 50k miles I like to drain a small amount of transmission oil, add a qt of conditioner and fill up rest with ATF. Follow TSB 14-AT-005 and add new oil until the overfill starts spilling.

Tbh the fluid that comes in there from factory should outlast the transmission as long as is full.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts