Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Lead Foot
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I ordered the GT Spec Strut Bar from Genracer...

To my amazement, it arrived this afternoon along with my Agency Stainless Steel Brake lines.

The strut bar looks awesome under the hood and adds a nice bling factor to spice up your engine bay. Install was a snap with a little patience need and a little light thinking.

The piece is of good build and quality, and the welds look super clean. It looks a feels way better than the OEM piece(which I will now keep next to my bed in case of a break-in as my self defense ninja weapon).

TIME w/out reading a DIY or install instructions: 35 Minutes
TIME w/ reading a DIY/instructions: <20 Minutes
TOOLS: A brain and 9/16" socket wrench

I know you guys love to see tons of pics so I took as many as I could:

START BY LOOSENING THE BOLTS THAT CONNECT THE OEM STRUT BAR TO THE BLACK MOUNTS. THEN, LIFT OEM STRUT BAR OUT, LEAVING JUST THE MOUNTS

LOOSEN AND REMOVE BOLTS THAT HOLD THE MOUNTS TO THE STRUT TOWER

DEEZ NUTZ GO IN YO POCKET.. YOU WILL NEED THEM FOR INSTALLING THE NEW STRUT BAR

THE MOUNTS ARE ON THERE PRETTY STIFF, I RECOMMEND PRYING THEM OUT, ALTERNATING SIDE TO SIDE.

THEN, REMOVE THE MOUNTS AND PLACE ASIDE.

YOU DONT HAVE TO, BUT I CLEANED UP THE AREA WITH SOME RAGS AND DEGREASER

NOW PAY ATTENTION, LOWER THE GTSPEC STRUTBAR INTO PLACE, STARTING WITH THE 2 OUTER BOLTS THEN WORK YOUR WAY IN

TO GET THE MOUNTS SITTING FLUSH, PLACE A CLOTH OVER THE MOUNT AND HAMMER IT INTO PLACE. YOU WILL HAVE TO ALTERNATE BETWEEN LEFT AND RIGHT MOUNT LITTLE BY LITTLE FOR THE BEST AND EASIEST RESULTS (SORRY PICS ARE SIDEWAYS)

FIRMLY BOLT THE STRUT BAR TO THE STRUT TOWER. ITS BEST TO ALTERNATE AND TIGHTEN THEM LITTLE BY LITTLE.

DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING IS IN PLACE NICE AND TIGHT. TO SHINE THE BAR UP I USED THIS:

GTSPEC VS. OEM

FINISHED PRODUCT:

I would have taken it for a test drive to let you know if the handling quality has changed, but my ECU is in the hands of some Korean dude out in California :dunno: ;)... That review is for another day:D

Many thanks to AJ and the rest of the guys at genracer for awesome service and hooking me up with everything I needed! (Mishimoto Silicone Hoses on their way!)

·
Work in Progress
6,496 Posts
GREAT DIY and it looks amazing! Notice and difference yet?

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Looks good man.

One question though, wouldn't just tightening the nuts down all the way, level out the gt-spec plate? Wouldn't have to smack it with a hammer that way.

·
Lead Foot
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good man.

One question though, wouldn't just tightening the nuts down all the way, level out the gt-spec plate? Wouldn't have to smack it with a hammer that way.
yeah i would assume so, but i wanted to have it sitting flush before i put the bolts in just incase it loosened up while tightening them...

I will try that route when I have to install my Ark DT-P's ;)

·
Lead Foot
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It works better, even though hitting things with a hammer is fun and all probably not the best when you don't need to
it's still alot of fun!! and theres no neighbors around in the country so i can bang all i want all day... too bad i don't think im getting any more mods for this car that require banging, except maybe for some women

·
Registered
283 Posts
how you liking the new bar ? thinking of getting one

·
Lead Foot
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm liking it alot... I definitely feel a difference, it's easier for me to be jerked left and right in my seat when I've toy around with it... Its not night and day but I'm sure it'll help compliment the better handling of the Ark DT-P when I get those on sometime next week

·
Registered
283 Posts
ya think will pick one up have ark dtp coilovers too got them at christmas they had an awesome sale, loving them so far need to play with the dampers abit, the shop that installed them left them alittle stiffer for the winter going to try I little softer now

·
Slurpee
1,740 Posts
doesnt make the bar weaker cause its not fully solid strut bar and you have to adjust the one bolt with an allen wrench to make it seat properly?

also did those brake lines come with the strut bar?

thanks.

·
4th color - 4th wheels
8,829 Posts
looks awesome! :bigthumbup:, I've seen this strut bar in person and it looks great, I thought about getting it, but yet again, ima just save to do all my engine stuff at the same time ;), maybe by then there will be more options

·
Lead Foot
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
doesnt make the bar weaker cause its not fully solid strut bar and you have to adjust the one bolt with an allen wrench to make it seat properly?

also did those brake lines come with the strut bar?

thanks.
no i ordered the strut bar and agency power brake lines from genracer so they came in the same box... they feel nice though as well

·
Genesis Owner
76 Posts
this may seem like a newb question but what exactly is the use of the strut bar? and can it be installed on the 2.0 without any big modifications? I dont have a strut bar on mine...

looks great tho,

tnx

1 - 20 of 54 Posts