Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not subscribe, allowing it to lapse after the trial period.

I still get monthly emails with my current mileage and service offers. I do not want Hyundai tracking my car and my driving habits.

So how do I kill it? Is there a separate antenna it uses?

May seem like tinfoil hat time, but I like my privacy.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the thing, there should be nothing to cancel.

There is no active subscription to Bluelink. Yet they are tracking my vehicle mileage and ECU engine status. They show an ECU warning from when I had my intake air sensor disconnected by forgetfulness and are more than hopeful to get me in for service.

Simply stopping the email notices will not stop them from watching my vehicle usage.

· 3.5L TT but wrong body
12,004 Posts
Yeah, I'd want it killed too if they email you about CELs... That's a pretty intrusive "feature" if it keeps monitoring even when you don't subscribe.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
That is the thing, there should be nothing to cancel.

There is no active subscription to Bluelink. Yet they are tracking my vehicle mileage and ECU engine status. They show an ECU warning from when I had my intake air sensor disconnected by forgetfulness and are more than hopeful to get me in for service.

Simply stopping the email notices will not stop them from watching my vehicle usage.
Big Brother is Watching You...:shock:

· 3.5L TT but wrong body
12,004 Posts
Wait until you get a "reflash" and Hyundai finds out through bluelink.. It will happen..
I think someone mentioned that in a thread before, can't remember which though. I would imagine it's possible in one way shape or form.

They're kind of vague as to what they actually monitor/report to you and them and not much else when I consulted Google.:

"What is the Monthly Vehicle Report?
Monthly Vehicle Report contains useful information about your car. It reports any problems and summarizes performance over the month."

"For Speed Alert, will there be a text message sent every time a driver crosses the speed limit?
An owner has the freedom to select his/her preferred mode of notification. If SMS is selected, an SMS is sent every time the speed limit is crossed"

· SUN★WORKS
6,041 Posts
My understanding was that bluelink does a self diagnostic on start-up in which is scans everything and sends that data to Hyundai. Checking the ECU for genuine hyundai tuning would not be a far-fetched idea. Especially if your already getting emails about a CEL. Bluelink is sketchy. Seems like a logical solution to identify warranty work though.

· 3.5L TT but wrong body
12,004 Posts
Yeah, sounds a bit too intrusive for me. I guess the vast majority of people out there buying Hyundais will like the idea, but most enthusiasts won't...

· I'd rather do it myself
20,413 Posts
It's the future. Soon the government will require black boxes in all vehicles that can communicate automatically to locations stationed along the road. Just like the tollway passes you can get now.

· Advenio Pariter
4,088 Posts
Oh crap, this will be just like those indoor electric go-karts. Every time I get caught doing a pit maneuver the "staff" throttles my ride down. :mad:

Soon some group of government commies will be determining how I should drive. Just kill me now and save me the jail time.

· Registered
432 Posts
It is the same crap as ONSTAR that GM has been using for years. You could get a car without it, but all the YUPPIES started using it now it is shoved down your throat. Now all the car companies are using some type or form of it. A way to make more money and track your vehicle. If you are out hot rodding they know exactly how fast you are going, when the car is running and Location of vehicle. Exactly what the dealer has done to it. No more new cars for me..And if you are in a accident they use that information against you in court. They can download the info from the black box in your car without a court order...

· Advenio Pariter
4,088 Posts
GM has used black boxes for years and many people have gone to jail after the telemetry download. I think this is more keeping track of how you are using the car and what you are doing with it. Sorry sir, you were driving at speeds over 125 mph and we consider that "abuse" so your power train warranty has been cancelled. Have you noted that one particularly egregious insurance company will lower your rates if you use a spying fob. Actually, I am fine with that because it is a personal choice that you can make. When it is forced then I must protest. Of course this will eventually be done to "lower our insurance rates..." Remember how the third brake light was going to lower our insurance rates? How about the use of plastic faux bumpers? Did any of that happen? Nope. Fool me twice...

· 2010 3.8 Track AT
183 Posts
Hmmmm..... I wonder if there is some clause in the sales contract that gives them permission to track you and pull telemetry whenever they what.

· Court Jester
4,315 Posts
Somebody call the civil rights group...

Invasion of Privacy issue here! :D

If the gov't can't get a wiretap w/o a court order, why should Hyundai get away with it?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts