Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
To prove old threads never really die, I've fully disabled Bluelink on my car.

First I followed directions on a Velociter forum to disable Bluelink on the MyHyundai site. The option is very well hidden, but says it disbles it and erases all previously collected data.

Then I opened the center console and found the Bluelink or Telemetrics box behind the AC controls. I disconnected the antennae and power/ data cables and left the ground plug attached.

That was a week ago and everything has been fine. My only complaint is that I can't stop trying to think up a good use for those dead buttons on my mirror!

Here's what the Bluelink/ telemetrics box looks like (unplugged):

Here are the cables in the upper right corner. The purple one is the antennae and the white one with a dozen or so wires is the power and data cable:

Here's the BCM that's probably still collecting offline data:

· Registered
194 Posts
Even refreshing didn't bring the pics into the thread, in fact, using your link to the album still didn't work. Then I refreshed the album page and could see the pics there. I came back to the thread and they FINALLY appeared where they should be!

Thanks for documenting this, I'll be doing that when mine expires.

· Premium Member
8,280 Posts
It's the future. Soon the government will require black boxes in all vehicles that can communicate automatically to locations stationed along the road. Just like the tollway passes you can get now.
The NTSB is already making "recommendations" to car manufacturers to black box every car. Presumably this is to have hard data for crash investigations. It won't take long before somebody realizes that this data can be used to monitor your speed and issue you a ticket through the mail for moving violations. No more speed trap issues.

Somebody call the civil rights group...

Invasion of Privacy issue here! :D

If the gov't can't get a wiretap w/o a court order, why should Hyundai get away with it?
There is an assumption here that you have a right to privacy. Privacy is an illusion. You have the NSA collecting who knows what data about every person living here in the United States and most likely abroad as well. While the sheer amount of data collected makes it currently impossible to sort through, it is only a matter of time that we break the "big data" code and all that data can be searched through as easily as you using Google.

What everyone should be more concerned about is that as time goes on more and more critical vehicle systems are being tied into the ECU. BlueLink/OnStar/and other similar systems tie into the ECU and the data link is bidirectional. A disturbing proof of concept study conducted by the security firm IOActive has shown that signal is not hack proof and that somebody with the right equipment and knowledge can do some pretty bad things to you as you drive your car.

Car-hacking researchers hope to wake up auto industry | CTV News

· 2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
851 Posts
Actually, all cars manufactured for American sales have had a black "Crashbox" recorder device from and including the 2004 model years and newer. Without the newer OnStar and Bluelink, it's just a simple recorder that runs continuously when driving and keeps in storage only about the last minute or less before a crash occurs. It monitors speed, throttle and brake apps and that's about it, and it doesn't communicate with the manufacturer or the gov't.

· Registered
73 Posts
The 2015 reference is in regards to legislation passed last year that mandates all new cars to have remotely accessible black boxes starting in 2015: https://www.google.com/search?q=remote+access+black+box+in+2015+cars
(^ beware conspiracy sites that take it a little too far...)

Many news sources don't mention remote access and I haven't read the actual bill, so I'm not sure on that part. It is true that most, if not all manufacturers have been doing this on their own except for on their most economical line of cars. The difference after 2015 is that the access and data will be shared well beyond the relationship you have with your manufacturer.

Maybe this will create demand for new tools to restore privacy and customize more aspects of automobile electronics.
The small tuner market has resulted in replacement ECUs and flashing. Imagine what could be developed with interest from say 20% of the new car market. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to purchase something (add-on or replacement) that allows you to customize anything controlled by your car's computers? Maybe even though a mobile bluetooth connected app.

It's not likely to happen though...I'm just trying the optimist thing today. :)

Edit: This, btw, has almost nothing to do with my choice to kill Bluelink. I was just afraid of it pestering me after the trial ended.

· Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo
1 Posts

First I followed directions on a Velociter forum to disable Bluelink on the MyHyundai site. The option is very well hidden, but says it disbles it and erases all previously collected data.

Then I opened the center console and found the Bluelink or Telemetrics box behind the AC controls. I disconnected the antennae and power/ data cables and left the ground plug attached.

That was a week ago and everything has been fine. My only complaint is that I can't stop trying to think up a good use for those dead buttons on my mirror!

Here are the cables in the upper right corner. The purple one is the antennae and the white one with a dozen or so wires is the power and data cable:

Hi,

I just now read your post about disconnecting the telemetrics unit in your Hyundai. Did you find a Sim card anywhere (not the SD card slot used to update Nav)?

I desperately need to either change the cell phone number my Veloster uses for Blue Link or disable the signal. I'd prefer to not damage my car (smash the fin suggestion) nor have to replace or disable the head unit.

I've been stalked for the past year & a half by someone who works as a contractor for a cell company, using the cell signal in my car.

I would greatly appreciate any info that might help.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts