Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've converted 3 other vehicles of mine and my girlfriend's over to new LED headlight bulbs and have been absolutely thrilled with the benefits of brighter, cleaner, and better looking light. I had been toying with the idea of converting my 2011 3.8 Rspec over to LED's as well from the current Diode Dynamics HID kit that I had installed because I wasn't really happy with the quality of the light being output and my visibility driving around at night. I wasn't able to find much info on these forums about how easy the process was with our cars and I knew it could get messy due to the H11B style bulbs and the dustcaps which limit the amount of available space behind the bulb that is often occupied by the heatsink and fan assembly on high quality LED bulbs. So I decided to go for it and when I realized how simple it was I thought I should do a writeup for everyone else to let them know that there's a much cheaper and IMO better performing alternative to the aftermarket HID kits.

I'm going to include a list of parts needed along with the direct Amazon links to the parts I used. For the record I'm not affiliated with Amazon or any of these manufacturers and therefore IDGAF if you use the links or source your own parts, however I can say from experience I've bought now a total of 8 pairs of LED headlight bulbs from Auxbeam and have been extremely happy with them all. I'll probably make it an 9th set when I do the high beams in the GC soon too. =D

Shopping List:
H11 LED Headlights - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KFBPDAA/ref=twister_B01KFBPAIA
H11 Female Harness - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q3DNZ2I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
[Optional] Pre-drilled Dust Caps - https://www.amazon.com/2010-2014-Hyundai-Genesis-Predrilled-Headlight/dp/B00KO4RYUQ
[Recommended] Spade Terminals - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ECBJVKW/ (More easily acquired from Home Depot, Lowes, or any hardware store.)

Tools Needed:
Phillips Head Screwdriver
10mm socket wrench
Wirestrippers
Needle Nose Pliers
Electrical Tape
[Optional] Drill and 1"-2" hole saw bit (if you chose not to buy the pre-drilled dustcaps and yours aren't already drilled from a previous HID install)

Step 1: Remove your headlights! There's plenty of guides available on how to do this on these forums and it's very simple so I'm going to assume you're all smart enough to either figure it out yourself quickly or find one of those guides easily.

Step 2: Remove the low beam dust caps and bulbs so you're left with this...

Step 3: Unbox your other goodies and drill your factory dust caps if they arent already drilled from a previous HID install or if you elected not to buy the pre-drilled ones from above.

Step 4: Strip and terminate the ends of your H11 harnesses with flat spade connectors. I used a couple from a terminal variety pack I brought long ago at Harbor Freight for a couple bucks. You can find them online, at any hardware or home improvement store, or you could elect to splice the wires manually but that would involve cutting and modifying the factory H11B terminal.

Step 5: Insert the spade terminals into the slots on the factory H11B connector like so.

Step 6: Put a little piece of electrical tape over the connector just to dissuade the wires from jiggling loose in the future. A small piece was all that was needed to prevent them from moving at all after a firm tug on the wires.

Step 7: Plug the bulb into your harness. The connector will plug-in fine in either orientation but diodes are polarized so now is a good time to go back over to the car and connect the factory harness to the headlight to ensure your orientation is correct and the bulb lights up when you turn your headlights on. If it doesnt just rotate the bulb plug 180 degrees and reconnect it and it should work.

Step 8: Tuck all the excess wire and the plugs down into the empty space inside the housing and install your bulb into the socket. It should only be able to fit in one possible orientation so you don't have to worry about messing it up.

Step 9: Reinstall your newly vented dustcap which will allow the LED bulb to get some circulation. Most LED bulbs I've seen are very weatherproof and I haven't had any issues with moisture.

Step 10: Reinstall your headlights and enjoy the instant-on, no warm up time, bright white, and beautiful light of your freshly retrofitted LED Bulbs!

Reactions: v8vroom

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great write! How is the output compared to the stock bulbs?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Honestly I haven't had stock halogens in the car for 5 years or so, but I remember the stock halogens being a little better visibility than the HID's that I replaced them with. These LED's however are night and day better than the HID's they replaced.

Reactions: DubbuD and v8vroom

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great! What about the high beams? :D

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Should be very similar although I'm not in a huge rush to do them because now with the LED headlights I don't really ever feel the need to use them haha. I'll have to look into it but if people are interested I'll investigate highs too.

Reactions: v8vroom

·
Registered
207 Posts
are these bulbs secure enough? are the dust caps putting on enough pressure to keep them secure? cuz i see that they have no plastic tabs on them

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
are these bulbs secure enough? are the dust caps putting on enough pressure to keep them secure? cuz i see that they have no plastic tabs on them
They have the standard locking tabs that all H11 bulbs have, look a little harder. :wink:

Also, the dust caps don't seem to make physical contact with the heatsink/fan assemblies on these bulbs although it's very close. YMMV if you go with different models of bulbs that may stick out the back more than these do. I'd imagine that worse case you may have to drill the dust caps out larger to allow clearance for whatever heatsink assembly your bulbs of choice use.

Reactions: BanzaiRspec

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
53 Posts
Weird i installed the same set of LED bulbs on mine but i was not impressed with the results at all. Terrible light output and i tested back to back up against a wall. Switched back to my halogens and sold the bulbs. Will be getting HID's next

They were noticeably dimmer and i tried aiming the headlights

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Weird i installed the same set of LED bulbs on mine but i was not impressed with the results at all. Terrible light output and i tested back to back up against a wall. Switched back to my halogens and sold the bulbs. Will be getting HID's next

They were noticeably dimmer and i tried aiming the headlights
That is weird, maybe you got a bad set? I know I've put these in a 2008 Colorado, a 1998 Rav4, a 2015 Crosstrek, and now the Genesis and in every case they've been obnoxiously bright to the point I've had to significantly adjust the aiming on the vehicles without projectors to avoid not burning out people's retinas driving down the road. If anyone's skeptical I could put the halogens back in one side and do a side by side picture.

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
i got those in today. im not happy with the fitment at all. i guess the 881 size is not the right size. ill be returning them
The 881 was definitely right for my 2011 fogs. Not sure which year you have but I can't speak for the 2013+ ones, not sure if they changed the bulb.

Edit: looked it up and 2013+ uses H8, fyi. In which case if you have a 2013+ I think you're in the wrong forum section, broski. :wink:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think H8 is our foglight size for 2014. correct me if im wrong
Luckily they offer those bulbs in an H8 too so just do an exchange for the right size and you'll be all set.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've considered these along with bi led projectors for quad bi projectors install. The light output was not bad, but awful compared to bi led or bi xenon. The other issue with these bulbs is active cooling they use, this is their weakest part. As soon as fan dies (and fan is the first thing which will die here), whole assembly will overheat and eventually LEDs will burn, while excessive heat may cause damage to headlights.

Regarding bi led projectors, the best you can install today is Koito bi led projector, which has very nice light distribution, but proper HID setup will still outshine it. However projector assembly is ridiculously large, there is no way to fit even on inside our headlights. Additionally these are pretty expensive, around 500 bucks per pair and require costy install. The second option is Optima/GT-R/whatever brand bi led projector (probably all of them come from same factory under different brands), these are rather cheap, if you try hard enough you can get them at 220 buck per pair. These are much easier to install, you can even retrofit them without cutting anything, but it is suggested to use custom adapter plate for proper install. These are really bright and can compare with with HID, however beam angle is relatively narrow.

Considering all above i decided to stay with classic quad bi xenon setup for best beam angle and light output.

Aftermarket automotive LED is still too young, especially LED and bi LED projectors, i'd stay away from them at least 1-2 years until manufacturers work out all quality and performance things. No doubt LED is superior to other light sources, it's just a matter of used solution, and current affordable solutions is a very young tech to speak about reliability. Currently i'd only install Koito, if they came in more compact form.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
IMO LED or HID lighting on stock halogen housings is horrid.
I know, I live in a place where there is only less than 4 hours of day light for 4 months of the year.

IMO stick with the halogens, unless...
You plan on taking the housings apart and putting in some actual xenon projectors, or OEM LED projectors from another car like the kia k900 or a merc.
Which would just cost as much or more as just buying a set of OEM xenon housings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts