·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to convert Manual A/C to Auto A/C
OE Parts required:
1x Auto A/C controller
1x Auto A/C radio bezel
1x Interior Temperature Sensor (OE PN: 972702M000)
1x Auto A/C climate sensor (OE PN: 97253-2M100)

You do not require a different display unit. The purpose of the CAN connections is to allow the IDD to receive the correct information inorder to display the state of the climate control.
Start by removing your shifter bezel, followed by your radio bezel

Removal of the IDD bezels is required too, using a trim panel removal tool use a similar method as outline for removing the center stack, pulling the trim away from the crash pad. There are no screws, only clips holding it in.
Next remove the trim panel below the steering wheel that is connected to the crash pad assembly.

Know what parts you're dealing with;
Auto A/C Connector (B)

I highly recommend soldering directly to the pins if you cannot source a factory connector.

in order to make the part removable, making your own harness and using generic connectors from somewhere like Pico is a good idea and what I chose to do.

What goes where on the connector B.

Connections;
Locate Pin 13 (Body K-line) on the Data Link or OBD-II port under the edge of the dash.
Connect Pin 13 to Pin 6 on the Auto A/C connector (B).

Locate and tap into Pin 7 (CAN-) and 8 (CAN+) on the IDD harness.
Connect Pin 7 to Pin 14 and Pin 8 to Pin 15 on Connector (B) of the Auto A/C unit.

Locate and tap into Pin 1 (speed) and Pin 5 (Ext. Temp) on Connector (A) of the audio unit.
Connect Pin 1 to Pin 4 and Pin 5 to Pin 5 on Connector (B)of the Auto A/C unit.

Locate and connect Pins 1 (Photo Sensor -) and 2 (Photo Sensor +) on the Auto Light & Photo sensor, the new one, not your existing one.
Connect Pin 1 to Pin 10 and Pin 2 to Pin 9 on Connector (B) of the Auto A/C unit.

To remove the existing photo sensor, simply use a trim panel removal tool and lift up on the side facing the rear of the car, it will release two clips and then you can angle it out. Release the clip on the bottom, careful as there is little factory wire so it won't move far. Feed the two new wires in before connecting the new photo sensor to the factory harness, simplest method is to have them go between the windshield A/C ducts, you'll see them poking through with the IDD bezels out of the way, grab them and feed them down to the A/C harness you should have made.

Locate Pin 28 (water temp sensor) of the EM51 chasis harness behind the passenger side kick panel, connect Pin 28 to Pin 11 on Connector (B) of the Auto A/C unit. If no wire exists at Pin 28, use Pin 2 of the water tempertature sensor located under the hood.

In case you don't have this wire (though you should), use the following image to locate the water temp sensor, use Pin 2, or the middle wire.

Locate Pin 2 (sensor ground) and 4 (sensor signal) of the In Car Temperature Sensor.
Connect Pin 2 to Pin 5 on the M65 connector and connect Pin 4 to Pin 3 on Connector (B) of the Auto A/C unit.

It's best to mount the in car temp sensor in its factory location. This can be achieved with two trim screws, you can get these from a dealership.

Connect Pin 16 of Auto A/C connector B to a suitable ground location such as frame or another known ground wire.
Test the auto climate control unit to ensure operation.
Reinstall all of the panels and trim in reverse of removal.
Install the Auto A/C unit into your replacement radio bezel and reinstall the bezels to the center console.
You're now done.

·
Registered
793 Posts
ohh how I have been waiting for this!!!! Looks like a lot of splicing but doesn't look too hard.

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
2012 3.8 Track ZF-6-SPD
2,925 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Awesome write up snoopy

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
made a correction to the defogging sensor, I had the wrong pins listed and displayed the solder locations wrong. Cut a $30 sensor in half to solve this issue but it's fixed and now works flawlessly.

Jay, this change also fixes the security light being "on" all the time as well.

·
Timbit Biter
1,775 Posts
Or...just buy a car that already has it!:p Just kidding. Nice writeup!

·
Registered
11 Posts
im looking at the last pic of the screen, so you shift the climate control display info from the blue lcd screen to your unavi screen?

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yup but that's just my setup, following my instructions and the exact same wires it'll display on any IDD just fine. I've tested my IDD on it and it shows all the correct info.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
How about "How to add bluetooth and iPod connectivity to your crappy base"
:D

btw I also have a crappy base

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you need a US head unit as those features are in the headunit itself. Canadian base models have both of those features. I can't access international part catalogues and unfortunately Puerto Rico falls under international.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
you need a US head unit as those features are in the headunit itself. Canadian base models have both of those features. I can't access international part catalogues and unfortunately Puerto Rico falls under international.
These words pierce my heart with the force of a thousand needles

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,711 Posts
Can you upgrade the '10 bluetooth with one that works for music?

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Only if you replace the headunit as well. Which means replacing the IDD for 2010 owners as well unless you have a unavi.

Do 2011 base units let you play music through bluetooth Red?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,711 Posts
My CD player is messed up and will be taking it in for warranty. I wonder if they would put in a newer model that the bluetooth works with music. It doesn't on my 2010.

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You'd have to ask. My 2010 doesn't play Bluetooth either :( I was thinking of picking up a 2011 headunit and just swapping the face plates but I don't know if the non-premiums play Bluetooth.

·
SUN★WORKS
56,362 Posts
This is an awesome write up! I would do this if i still had my stock head unit .

Snoopy, is there a way to have my blue screen still display the outside temp without the stock head unit?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,711 Posts
You'd have to ask. My 2010 doesn't play Bluetooth either :( I was thinking of picking up a 2011 headunit and just swapping the face plates but I don't know if the non-premiums play Bluetooth.
According to the Hyundai tech site all gen Coupes for all years are compatible for streaming. At least for verizone and the S3.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts