Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I finally sort of got the car back together mechanically (Timing chain, service and so on) - time for some modifications. Now this is a daily with power goal of around ~320 hp maybe a bit more, and some good torque - not 500 hp hi-end rave range monster.

Note This is BK 1 2.0 on stock internals.

Now i got CMD and WB, just getting ready to free up the exhaust a bit, and will follow with additional supporting mods (injectors, IC if needed and so on)
But I'm unsure what to do with turbine, now looking through the forum we have an excellent guide on turbos that suggest a GT28 or as i read other threads making a hybrid form TD04L-13T > to "TD04HL 19T"

Any one here actually able to compare and suggest which way is better?
  • GT28 (will needo2 hosing fabrication as Drop in version are expensive as FU in EU)
  • CHRA and milling out stock turbine to 19T?
Also any one know how the spoll time is affected when modifying stock turbo ?

·
Premium Member
15,281 Posts
td04hl-19t is not a hybrid turbo, the td04l-19t is.

hl-19t is just a factory spec'd turbo mainly used in volvos.
The bk2 uses one.

The reason why a td04l-19t is a hybrid is because it's basically mismatching parts.
To get the correct efficiency out of one, the turbine housing needs to be clipped, basically grinding off some of the turbine.
Doing that on something that spins at 120,000~200,000, it's easy to trash the balance, making the whole thing garage.

To my knowledge there was only one company that did that, back like 10 or 15 years ago for subarus, when they still came with td04l-13t

To get 320hp you're going to have get a larger turbo than the 2 you listed, and at minimum replace the conrods.
Think about it, 320whp is almost double the hp (210 listed hp is advertised crank hp, not whp)

A CMD is really only good for adjusting fuel trims. It DOES NOT adjust spark.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
td04hl-19t is not a hybrid turbo, the td04l-19t is.

hl-19t is just a factory spec'd turbo mainly used in volvos.
The bk2 uses one.
Thanks AKGC, this is good info
- As for hybrids they are still being done when i live but its true its not an easy task

To get 320hp you're going to have get a larger turbo than the 2 you listed, and at minimum replace the conrods.
Think about it, 320whp is almost double the hp (210 listed hp is advertised crank hp, not whp)
- Conrods, Ok i agree reading through the forum i was hearing this power level is relatively safe for stock internals ...but I'm not surprised your bringing this up as a potential issue
Maybe the K1 condors will do - ill look this up

- What turbine would you suggest then that spools at relatively early?
It does not have to be plug an play as i can fabricate exhaust parts (manifold is a bit more tricky for me though)

·
Premium Member
15,281 Posts
lower end torque, maybe a evo8/9 turbo kit?

But I would rather go with a tomei ARMS turbo, and keep the boost down.
The M7960 is suppose to be a direct bolt-on, but discontinued
The MX7960 is the updated version

comparing the ISR evo kit and the Tomei turbo, they end up costing roughly the same.
Just because Tomei claims 400hp, doesn't mean you should tune for that much. With a relatively stock engine, I wouldn't tune it past at most 300ish hp.

And for tuning, I wouldn't use a CMD. Get haltech, as most tuning shops are familiar with tuning them.... if you have a manual. Haltechs don't work with automatics.
If anything, I would only use a CMD to do minor fuel trim adjustments.

·
Registered
237 Posts
lower end torque, maybe a evo8/9 turbo kit?

But I would rather go with a tomei ARMS turbo, and keep the boost down.
The M7960 is suppose to be a direct bolt-on, but discontinued
The MX7960 is the updated version

comparing the ISR evo kit and the Tomei turbo, they end up costing roughly the same.
Just because Tomei claims 400hp, doesn't mean you should tune for that much. With a relatively stock engine, I wouldn't tune it past at most 300ish hp.

And for tuning, I wouldn't use a CMD. Get haltech, as most tuning shops are familiar with tuning them.... if you have a manual. Haltechs don't work with automatics.
If anything, I would only use a CMD to do minor fuel trim adjustments.
How much whp would you consider safe for bk2 running a mx7960?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Really? I thought the bk2 could handle at least 350whp? I'm not too sure about wtq.
I do know the conrods are the weak point.

·
Premium Member
15,281 Posts
Really? I thought the bk2 could handle at least 350whp? I'm not too sure about wtq.
I do know the conrods are the weak point.

you said you have a bk1

the bk1 and bk2 motors are not the same, similar, but not the same.

bk1 has 9.4:1 compression
bk2 has 9:1 compression

·
Registered
237 Posts
you said you have a bk1

Oh sorry but I did ask about the bk2. I have a bk2. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
237 Posts
you said you have a bk1

·
Premium Member
15,281 Posts

Oops. Thought you were Pchelka lol. My apologies.

The problem with the bk2 (not necessarily the motor) is the electronic wastegate.
What I mean is, I'm pretty sure whatever you do, short of going with a stand alone tuning solution, the ecu is is going cry about not having an ewastegate, if you go with an aftermarket turbo/manifold..

·
Registered
237 Posts

The problem with the bk2 (not necessarily the motor) is the electronic wastegate.
What I mean is, I'm pretty sure whatever you do, short of going with a stand alone tuning solution, the ecu is is going cry about not having an ewastegate, if you go with an aftermarket turbo/manifold..
I always thought and or heard the electronic wastegate issue can be resolved by tuning?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Happens, no worries
Now back to BK1 platform AKGC, you deem 320 hp not a safe space for stock internals - correct ?

Seems if i actually open the motor, there is no point NOT going all in - one way or another headgasket, studs, bearings and ring pinion are needed. So since 'you are already in there', may as well go with getting the pistons for it and doing some work on the head, valve seats and so forth.

The question is how is the bore of cylinders is looking like in mine.

·
Premium Member
15,281 Posts
Happens, no worries
Now back to BK1 platform AKGC, you deem 320 hp not a safe space for stock internals - correct ?

Seems if i actually open the motor, there is no point NOT going all in - one way or another headgasket, studs, bearings and ring pinion are needed. So since 'you are already in there', may as well go with getting the pistons for it and doing some work on the head, valve seats and so forth.

The question is how is the bore of cylinders is looking like in mine.
300ish hp is where the motor either works or breaks..... the build quality on these motors aren't consistent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts