Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. I just wanted to post this for people that are curious of the stock rear panel speaker size so they know what replacement to buy. Also the wattage of the stock speaker is shown. There is not a heck of alot out there that is easy to find on this topic. Now there is.

Stock speaker size ( rear panel ) is 6.5"

Wattage as shown ( 20 rms )

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you!

I appreciate the information. Just out of curiosity, why did you have the speaker out? I've been thinking about adding a subwoofer to my base system, so any info about the speakers helps with balance.

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the information. Just out of curiosity, why did you have the speaker out? I've been thinking about adding a subwoofer to my base system, so any info about the speakers helps with balance.
Your welcome.

I replaced them with some Kicker 6.5" coaxials. They are way more efficient than the stock speaker and handle 3 times the power. I have and amp running all of my music speakers and the rear speakers didn't handle the 50 rms I was giving them as they are only 20 rms. The Kickers are a great replacement @ 90 db sensitivity and 65 rms. About the subwoofer. Two 10" subs will just squeak in there. Whatever you put in make sure you aim it forward. That works the best in these cars.

New Kicker 6.5" coaxial.

My 10" subs ( Orion HCCA )

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the amp sit in front of the firing subs or do you not have rear seats?
It is mounted to the back of the seat. So yup when the seat is up the subs fire right into it. In fact when the subs move it comes within 1" of the amp. It doesn't hurt the amp one bit. That was the biggest amp I could get that would fit in the trunk opening when the seat is back. I drive most of the time with the seats folded down and just fold it up when I need to. Subs are way louder in this car when facing forward into the cabin with the seat down. When the seat it up it is obviously not near as loud.

·
Registered
31 Posts
NICE!!! Love the Orion subs...haven't had much experience with Hifonics stuff...how's that amp?

I'll be going with Phoenix Gold Xenon amp & subs when I get mine together.

I see Infinity went 4 ohm on the speakers in this set up. Using 2 ohm speakers to replace could produce some great results for those that don't want to change their head unit!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
In your initial pic of the front of the stock speaker - what is the purpose of the distorted foam surround?

Did you also install your own aftermarket speaker wiring, or just utilize the factory wiring?

How did you run the wires for your aftermarket amp - meaning, which side of the car did you run the power lead up and which side did you run the RCA's to prevent any interferance?

Also, can you give any tips as to how you removed the rear interior plastics to access the speakers - w/o breaking or damaging those panels?

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
NICE!!! Love the Orion subs...haven't had much experience with Hifonics stuff...how's that amp?

I'll be going with Phoenix Gold Xenon amp & subs when I get mine together.

I see Infinity went 4 ohm on the speakers in this set up. Using 2 ohm speakers to replace could produce some great results for those that don't want to change their head unit!!!
I have had 3 Hifonics amps now. All I have loved and thought were the best budget amps available. I have owned plenty of amps in my time to be able to say that with confidence. It runs my Orions quite nicely.

I have the base model so my stock speakers aren't Infinity but the Infinity system has 4 ohm speakers too. Infintity Kappas and Reference are 2 ohm speakers which will draw more power which means more volume. How good that is for a Headunit in the long is debatable.

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
In your initial pic of the front of the stock speaker - what is the purpose of the distorted foam surround?

Did you also install your own aftermarket speaker wiring, or just utilize the factory wiring?

How did you run the wires for your aftermarket amp - meaning, which side of the car did you run the power lead up and which side did you run the RCA's to prevent any interferance?

Also, can you give any tips as to how you removed the rear interior plastics to access the speakers - w/o breaking or damaging those panels?
Good question about the foam. It's shaped like that to fit the way the rear panel is moulded. It prevents the panel from hitting the speaker in case drunken dumb ass's get drunk in your car and lean to hard on it.

I used the existing wiring for the speakers and use an Alpine KTP-445 to run them that's under the console which is hard wired to the Headunit. ( It's meant for Alpine Headunits with the right plug but if you know which wire is what you can hard wire them to any Headunit. )

I ran the RCA's, Remote and Power Wire on the drivers side. If your wires are good quality and have adequate insulation than you don't need to separate them.

A tip about the panels would be to be careful because the plastic can crease easily and take your time. I took off the rocker moulding/panel and far rear panel by the rear deck. The air bag panel on the B pillar I left and just bowed the speaker panel to get it out from underneath. Then it just pops off like any other panel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had 3 Hifonics amps now. All I have loved and thought were the best budget amps available. I have owned plenty of amps in my time to be able to say that with confidence. It runs my Orions quite nicely.

I have the base model so my stock speakers aren't Infinity but the Infinity system has 4 ohm speakers too. Infintity Kappas and Reference are 2 ohm speakers which will draw more power which means more volume. How good that is for a Headunit in the long is debatable.
Cool...that's good to know as I've had a few folks ask me about them, but I've never had any experience with them.

I was surprised that Infinity switched up to 4 ohm. My Azera had 2 ohm OEM Infinity speakers so that's why I replaced them with the Kappas. They are really a great sounding speaker.

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool...that's good to know as I've had a few folks ask me about them, but I've never had any experience with them.

I was surprised that Infinity switched up to 4 ohm. My Azera had 2 ohm OEM Infinity speakers so that's why I replaced them with the Kappas. They are really a great sounding speaker.
Hifonics used to be very high end until Maxxonics bought them. That is still ok though. Maxxonics is still a good company imo and puts out good stuff at a good price. They also own MB quart now. Now they just produce them a little cheaper but still keep the reliabilty. They are made in China but what isn't. I mean it's no Audioque or Sundown but for the money they can't be beat.

Ya, idk about Infinity's ohm ratings. I agree that the Kappas are the ****. Exellent speaker for sure!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hifonics used to be very high end until Maxxonics bought them. That is still ok though. Maxxonics is still a good company imo and puts out good stuff at a good price. They also own MB quart now. Now they just produce them a little cheaper but still keep the reliabilty. They are made in China but what isn't. I mean it's no Audioque or Sundown but for the money they can't be beat.

Ya, idk about Infinity's ohm ratings. I agree that the Kappas are the ****. Exellent speaker for sure!
MB Quart was one I knew to be a pretty strong brand at one point. Never really heard of any fall-off with them...unlike Sounstream. I've been wanting to try some Hifonics stuff, but I just can't give up my Phoenix Gold stuff right now. :eek:

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MB Quart was one I knew to be a pretty strong brand at one point. Never really heard of any fall-off with them...unlike Sounstream. I've been wanting to try some Hifonics stuff, but I just can't give up my Phoenix Gold stuff right now. :eek:
MB quart used to be designed and manufactured in Germany but now they are manufactured in china like Hifonics. They still have the logo on the box when you get them that says designed and engineered in Germany which isn't a lie. Still good stuff though even though it's made over seas. Soundstream used to be like Hifonics but unforntunately their quality went down alot more then Maxxonics products did which sucks cause I used to like Soundstream. Phoenix gold on the other hand has remained pretty much the same for a long while and is a decent product. It has recently sold out though so we will see how good it will remain. The only thing with Phoenix gold is that imo hasn't been able to keep up with the competition.

Straight from the horses mouth on selling out.
AAMP of America | AAMP of America? Acquires Phoenix Gold® Mobile Division

·
Registered
31 Posts
MB quart used to be designed and manufactured in Germany but now they are manufactured in china like Hifonics. They still have the logo on the box when you get them that says designed and engineered in Germany which isn't a lie. Still good stuff though even though it's made over seas. Soundstream used to be like Hifonics but unforntunately their quality went down alot more then Maxxonics products did which sucks cause I used to like Soundstream. Phoenix gold on the other hand has remained pretty much the same for a long while and is a decent product. It has recently sold out though so we will see how good it will remain. The only thing with Phoenix gold is that imo hasn't been able to keep up with the competition.

Straight from the horses mouth on selling out.
AAMP of America | AAMP of America? Acquires Phoenix Gold® Mobile Division
You're absolutely right!!! Soundstream took a serious nosedive a while back and they still haven't recovered really. Phoenix Gold, at least...has been consistent. The Xenon line was their last big thing until they came up with the RSd line. At least the folks that took over PG have an interest in keeping they respectable and headed in the right direction. I've been running my PG stuff now for about 5 years and have never had any issues with it. I am torn between upgrading my subs to either the new PG RSdc 10's or a pair of Cerwin Vega V-Max 10's. Or...I may just end up throwing the 3rd Xenon 10 that I have and make it a 3 sub set-up. :dunno:

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're absolutely right!!! Soundstream took a serious nosedive a while back and they still haven't recovered really. Phoenix Gold, at least...has been consistent. The Xenon line was their last big thing until they came up with the RSd line. At least the folks that took over PG have an interest in keeping they respectable and headed in the right direction. I've been running my PG stuff now for about 5 years and have never had any issues with it. I am torn between upgrading my subs to either the new PG RSdc 10's or a pair of Cerwin Vega V-Max 10's. Or...I may just end up throwing the 3rd Xenon 10 that I have and make it a 3 sub set-up. :dunno:
Ya, everyone has their own tastes in brands. I used to like PG but there are alot better companies out there right now. That's just me. Try Audioque SD or HD subs. Even the SD will blow away either of the subs you mentioned. The SD is only 129 per for the 10". I would get the vmax out of those 2 subs if not an Audioque. Are your subs in a ported box right now? I was thinking of a 3 10" sub setup in a sealed box but I believe a 2 10" ported box puts out more. I would go 3 subs ported if I could but the Gen doesn't have the room. The 3 subs would be tight as hell though and really snap! One thing to keep in mind is that you will loose a bit of amp power running 3 subs compared to 2. 1.33 or 2.66 ohm depending on the subs impedance. That only equates to a small percent but still.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ya, everyone has their own tastes in brands. I used to like PG but there are alot better companies out there right now. That's just me. Try Audioque SD or HD subs. Even the SD will blow away either of the subs you mentioned. The SD is only 129 per for the 10". I would get the vmax out of those 2 subs if not an Audioque. Are your subs in a ported box right now? I was thinking of a 3 10" sub setup in a sealed box but I believe a 2 10" ported box puts out more. I would go 3 subs ported if I could but the Gen doesn't have the room. The 3 subs would be tight as hell though and really snap! One thing to keep in mind is that you will loose a bit of amp power running 3 subs compared to 2. 1.33 or 2.66 ohm depending on the subs impedance. That only equates to a small percent but still.
Indeed...budget plays a small part in it too. I had a pair of V-Max subs in a ported box hooked up to my amp and it sounded like it wanted to rip my car in half. Currently, I have my 2 10's in a sealed box (more musically accurate) and a ported box is going to require more space. I'm not too worried about the amp...the beautiful thing about the Xenon line is that it's able to produce the same power regardless of the load from 1-4 ohms. I'm working with 3 dual 2 ohm voice coil subs...wired correctly, the amp will see a 3 ohm load.

The power on my amp was grossly underrated by the company and a tech finally filled me in when I was frying subs left & right. At any rate...a 3rd sub would really increase the output because more air would be moving. Each sub only needs .7 cu. ft. (should be doable in the back of the coupe) and I will have them firing downward...that's my goal anyway.

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Indeed...budget plays a small part in it too. I had a pair of V-Max subs in a ported box hooked up to my amp and it sounded like it wanted to rip my car in half. Currently, I have my 2 10's in a sealed box (more musically accurate) and a ported box is going to require more space. I'm not too worried about the amp...the beautiful thing about the Xenon line is that it's able to produce the same power regardless of the load from 1-4 ohms. I'm working with 3 dual 2 ohm voice coil subs...wired correctly, the amp will see a 3 ohm load.

The power on my amp was grossly underrated by the company and a tech finally filled me in when I was frying subs left & right. At any rate...a 3rd sub would really increase the output because more air would be moving. Each sub only needs .7 cu. ft. (should be doable in the back of the coupe) and I will have them firing downward...that's my goal anyway.
Sounds like you got it in the bag. Nice! I would love to hear 3 10's sealed in 2 cubes! Especially in our car. Whats with the firing downward I must ask. Fire those suckers straight into the cabin.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Downward would mean that I won't have to worry about what happens with my subs when I throw stuff in the trunk. Firing them into the cabin would only work if I drove around with the rear seats down...which I don't do. I know I'll end up playing the configuration a bit. In my Azera, I tried firing them at the back seat...no good. I tired firing them up (since I removed the factory sub and cut out panel beneath it so bass from the trunk would come through)...no good. The best sound option in there was to fire it towards the rear bumper. The only option I didn't try at the time was downward. The face of the subs will be about 3" off the floor of the trunk. I will probably put mirrored plexi under it with LED's so you can peek at the subs a little bit.

·
AMB~1YR
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Downward would mean that I won't have to worry about what happens with my subs when I throw stuff in the trunk. Firing them into the cabin would only work if I drove around with the rear seats down...which I don't do. I know I'll end up playing the configuration a bit. In my Azera, I tried firing them at the back seat...no good. I tired firing them up (since I removed the factory sub and cut out panel beneath it so bass from the trunk would come through)...no good. The best sound option in there was to fire it towards the rear bumper. The only option I didn't try at the time was downward. The face of the subs will be about 3" off the floor of the trunk. I will probably put mirrored plexi under it with LED's so you can peek at the subs a little bit.
You are right. If you don't drive with the seat folded down then forward is pointless b/c the seat back will eat up all the bass. I on the other hand always have my seat down and subs hit like jackhammers facing forward. Facing them down kinda sounds like a unique idea for this car. The plexi idea sounds good to that way you can showcase the subs and not have to worry about them getting damaged like you said. I would love to see pics of that when you are done the install.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You are right. If you don't drive with the seat folded down then forward is pointless b/c the seat back will eat up all the bass. I on the other hand always have my seat down and subs hit like jackhammers facing forward. Facing them down kinda sounds like a unique idea for this car. The plexi idea sounds good to that way you can showcase the subs and not have to worry about them getting damaged like you said. I would love to see pics of that when you are done the install.
You're right though...being able to ride around with the seats folded down would be primo. It's bad enough everyone can hear your system, but I don't everyone to see it when I'm driving down the street. I want them to look in my car and look at something toally unassuming. right now...if you look in from my trunk...it's walled off and I have a panel in front of the subs...so you really don't see much as it is. I do want a bit of a show piece when I put it all in the coupe...so that's where the plexi and LED idea came from. The subs have built in LED's so that'll add to it. I'll definitely post pics when I get it under way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts