Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short Throw Shifter DIY
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2010

So in order to make installing Short Shifters even easier, we have decided to post up a DIY here on the forums so that you can all see how easy it is to install one yourself!

Begin the installation by parking on a flat surface, as you will have to engage and disengage the hand brake and shift from gears to neutral. If you cannot do so and are obliged to install the short shifter on a slightly inclined surface, place wooden blocks in front or behind the wheels to prevent the car from moving while you’re working.

Estimated Installation Time: 60 minutes

Tools required:
- 10 mm socket
- 19 mm socket (long is preferred)
- 7/16 socket
- 19 mm wrench
- 7/16 wrench
- Ratchet
- 3” extension
- Long screw driver
- A lift or a jack and jack stands.
- All purpose automotive grease (white lithium based grease is preferred)

1. Working inside the car, unsnap the shift boot from around the shift knob and remove the shift knob by turning it counter-clockwise and put it in a safe place.

2. Putting your hand inside the shift boot, pull the plastic console up.

3. If needs be, undo the heated seats plugs and put the console part in a safe place.

Push the rubber boot down.

4. Jack the car up and undo the 2 19 mm nuts holding the resonator with the rear part of the exhaust piping. Once this is done, pull both part of the exhaust apart, leaving all exhaust supports in place.

5. Locate the 6 10 mm bolts holding the heatshield that is right over the resonator and remove them.

6. Now slide the heatshield toward the driver’s side with somebody holding the exhaust piping out of the way while you do this.

7. You should now clearly see the shifter. You need to remove a small metal clip that holds the pin inside the rod. Do this by using a long screw driver and pushing it out. Keep this clip if you ever want to re-install the stock shifter eventually.

8. Slide the pin out of the shifter and rod assembly.

9. Undo the two 10 mm bolts holding the silver ring and put these in a safe place as you will need them later.

10. Pull the shifter down to have access to the black plastic ring around the pivot point and remove both o-rings. Slide the plastic ring down and take it off the shifter completely.

11. Go back inside the car and remove the shifter. It will go only if you tilt it to the side so that the larger bottom part clears the floor.

Insert your short shifter through the rubber boot and install the rubber boot around the larger part of the short shifter.

12. Go back under the car and apply grease to the pivot point.

13. Re-install the plastic cup over the short shifter. The flat o-ring goes on top, then slide the plastic cup around the pivot point and install both o-ring on the plastic up.

14. Put both 10 mm bolts with the silver ring in place, locking the shifter in place.

15. Place the supplied bushings inside the fork and slide the short shifter in between them. You can use a wrench to move the shifter to help you inser it between the bushings.

16. Align hole in the bushings with the bearings of the shifter. Place both washers on each side of the fork and tighten the bolt and nut using a 7/16 wrench and socket.

17. Re-install everything in reverse order from step 6 to 1.

THAT'S IT!! Now all you have to do is ENJOY it every time you SHIFT!

If you have any other questions or concerns you can post in this thread or send us a PM and we will be more than happy to help you out with your Short Shifter install!

Jordan
Team TWM Performance

·
Zosyn who?
1,745 Posts
nice write up! too late for me but still nice. What short shifter did you use?

·
:B
856 Posts
^

·
Zosyn who?
1,745 Posts
i was asking becuz it didnt look like the twm one. Its not black ;)

·
sea wut eye did thar??!?!
161 Posts
why are the pictures taken with a single exit exhaust? boy, that top 19mm nut is tough to get to with the other piupe blocking it. im wondering if i have to unscrew the other side as well to be able to move the heat shield?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I did mine without taking off the heat shield. It's a biatch but its doable. I did undo the bolt of the heat shield so that I could slide it down though. It would really really really have been nice to have a lift instead of using jack stands.

·
Banned
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
The one the only
2,325 Posts
great write up pm me a price to 28314 and will the threads line up with my flossy shift knob i have

·
Banned
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
***New great product from TWM Performance!***

- 45mm long, will clear oversized racing studs
- Removable titanium end cap for open design
- 21.6g light! Half the weight of the competition
- Rated for 2160 ft.lbs of torque
- Two piece design accomodates Cone & Ball seat wheels
- Aluminum seat allows for proper expansion and contact without damaging both lug & wheel
- Chicks dig it!

For more information, be sure to LIKEus on FaceBook!

·
Professional Amature
34 Posts
Does the OEM shift boot still fit on the short shifter nicely or is there lots of extra space with the shifter being shorter?

·
The one the only
2,325 Posts
Does the OEM shift boot still fit on the short shifter nicely or is there lots of extra space with the shifter being shorter?
It fits fine with no issues

·
Professional Amature
34 Posts
Good to know, thanks obeezy

·
The one the only
2,325 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts